Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

Phastek Performance

Old 03-11-2017, 08:58 PM   #43
OldJedi
Use the Force

Drives: 2015 Corvette Z51, 2018 Porsche GTS
Send a message via AIM to OldJedi
Thanks Mr. Wyndham, the details you have written give us us a far greater understanding of the making of the ZL1 1LE and the differences between both ZL1 models. I can only imagine the smiles that the Camaro Team must have had when the development process was finally finished. The ZL1 1LE will be in some very, very elite company with it's speed and prowess.

The only question I have is, could this car be even faster with an A10? Considering how much faster an A10 is over a manual ZL1, imagine what it could do for the ZL1 1LE.
Old 03-11-2017, 09:34 PM   #44
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldJedi View Post
Thanks Mr. Wyndham, the details you have written give us us a far greater understanding of the making of the ZL1 1LE and the differences between both ZL1 models. I can only imagine the smiles that the Camaro Team must have had when the development process was finally finished. The ZL1 1LE will be in some very, very elite company with it's speed and prowess.

The only question I have is, could this car be even faster with an A10? Considering how much faster an A10 is over a manual ZL1, imagine what it could do for the ZL1 1LE.
Thanks!!

Al O. repeated his thoughts that were published in the 2017 Camaro "play book" they send to dealers for customers to take home. The A10 ZL1 is the finest Camaro they've ever built...period. It'll whoop some very expensive a$$ on the track with no modifications, and yet still be able to take you to work or out for a cruise in comfort.

But theoretically...yes. Around Willow Springs in the hands of Randy Pobst, the ZL1 auto lap times were within a few tenths of the manual +/-.

However, it could be, that in an attempt to get every conceivable tenth of a second out of this car, they chose the manual for less weight, which equals more Gs (even if they are in the hundredths of a point)...and less drivetrain losses, which means more power to the ground through those massive 325s.

Or they could have popped it in there just because 1LEs get manual transmissions only...but I'd like to think there was more logic, and engineering reason behind the decision, than that.

...just a theory.
Old 03-11-2017, 10:02 PM   #45
URBAN LEGEND

Drives: 20 X3M CP & 19 ZL1 1LE A10
No matter what the manufacturers do they never win. Porsche built their GT3 in only PDK (DCT) only to have a manual version available a few years later (Due to the purists raising their concerns). Chevy gives us the M6 and people want the A10.

I think the M6 with NLS should hold its own if you dare to use it.
Old 03-11-2017, 10:20 PM   #46

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Wyndham View Post
Thanks!!

Al O. repeated his thoughts that were published in the 2017 Camaro "play book" they send to dealers for customers to take home. The A10 ZL1 is the finest Camaro they've ever built...period. It'll whoop some very expensive a$$ on the track with no modifications, and yet still be able to take you to work or out for a cruise in comfort.

But theoretically...yes. Around Willow Springs in the hands of Randy Pobst, the ZL1 auto lap times were within a few tenths of the manual +/-.

However, it could be, that in an attempt to get every conceivable tenth of a second out of this car, they chose the manual for less weight, which equals more Gs (even if they are in the hundredths of a point)...and less drivetrain losses, which means more power to the ground through those massive 325s.

Or they could have popped it in there just because 1LEs get manual transmissions only...but I'd like to think there was more logic, and engineering reason behind the decision, than that.

...just a theory.
In the hands of a professional driver, the automatic and manual are within a few tenths of each other.....Yet, the auto suffers from the stigma of being inferior at the track....I think those days are numbered. There is no "dramatic" difference offering any proof of one being better than the other.

It's all marketing, personal preferences and prejudices that drive the "debate". Different tracks, different driver skills, different other tracking mods and options on the car other than the trans itself, all produce a mixed bag of results....

I'd argue Randy Pobst has demonstrated virtually no difference in performance between automatic or manual...
90503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 10:40 PM   #47
OldJedi
Use the Force

Drives: 2015 Corvette Z51, 2018 Porsche GTS
Send a message via AIM to OldJedi
Thanks, you are probably right that Chevy is keeping the manual with the 1LE package. It is going to be a hell of car.
Old 03-11-2017, 11:14 PM   #48
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90503 View Post
In the hands of a professional driver, the automatic and manual are within a few tenths of each other.....Yet, the auto suffers from the stigma of being inferior at the track....I think those days are numbered. There is no "dramatic" difference offering any proof of one being better than the other.

It's all marketing, personal preferences and prejudices that drive the "debate". Different tracks, different driver skills, different other tracking mods and options on the car other than the trans itself, all produce a mixed bag of results....

I'd argue Randy Pobst has demonstrated virtually no difference in performance between automatic or manual...
I wouldn't disagree with that assessment.

I will say...they left no performance on the table with this car, within a reasonable budget...and that said, they still chose to do this manual-only. This suggests that the manual was either as fast (no difference), or slightly quicker than the auto in their testing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldJedi View Post
Thanks, you are probably right that Chevy is keeping the manual with the 1LE package. It is going to be a hell of car.
That's an understatement!!
Old 03-12-2017, 12:02 AM   #49
nvrlast07

Drives: 2011 synergy green rs
These kind of details really just seal the deal for me when i comes to my interest in buying the ultimate track machine. Thanks for collecting this data and photos for us, it really showed us how advanced the zl1 1le is and how far gm design and engineering has come in the last year really with turn key style performance track cars.

What i really love is not the combination of the creature comforts of the zl1 brought into the 1le, its the addition of aero and attention to detail and littel sublte features that really make you think and say ohhh shoot....that's new!!!!

Can't wait for addition photos and vidoes and information to come out in the coming months for this platform.
nvrlast07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 12:10 AM   #50
mr965

Drives: ///M3
I look forward to seeing Randy Pobst lap times at Laguna.
mr965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 06:18 AM   #51
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Drives: ZLE & ZR2
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeckyD@RodgersChevrolet View Post
I was at Daytona...

What a ....Great Time....
Stay Tuned....

Becky
Old 03-12-2017, 07:17 AM   #52
newmoon

Drives: 2019 GT350
One interesting statement is that this the standard ZL1 was only "albient" slightly faster than the 5th Gen Z28 at Milford. The new 6th Gen 1LE is supposed to be as quick as the Z28 so does this mean the ZL1 is also only slightly faster than the 1LE. If so Chevy did a hell of a job with the 1LE.
2012 SRT Challenger 392 auto 12:40s 112 stock
2012 Ford Mustang 5.0. Brembo, 3:73s
2010 SS, LS3, Cammed, LTs, 12:20s
2004 Redfire Cobra, Pullied & Tuned
1986 GT, Ed Curtis 347ci, 11:20s motor. 10:30s 100-hp shot
newmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 09:22 AM   #53
hotlap

Drives: 20 1LE 2SS M6 Rally Green
Quote:
Originally Posted by newmoon View Post
One interesting statement is that this the standard ZL1 was only "albient" slightly faster than the 5th Gen Z28 at Milford. The new 6th Gen 1LE is supposed to be as quick as the Z28 so does this mean the ZL1 is also only slightly faster than the 1LE. If so Chevy did a hell of a job with the 1LE.
Assuming you are referring to the SS 1LE. I read...
Quote:
During our time to chat with Al Oppenheiser, chief Camaro engineer, we got right down to business and asked what everyone wants to know: will the 2017 Camaro SS 1LE outperform the Shelby GT350?
“That’s obviously our intent. I have the answer, but I’ll let the rest of you decide how we did. Our goal is to up the game with our competitor, just like they upped the game with the GT350. Everyone had to expect we would punch back. I will tell you this car is three seconds faster than the previous 1LE. Your readers can go out and make their own conclusions,” Oppenheiser stated in utmost confidence.

http://gmauthority.com/blog/2016/02/...#ixzz4b7YbLnlt
Assuming Al O was referring to Milford, that would put the SS 1LE at 1.55.xx, the standard ZL1 at 1.53.xx and the ZL1 1LE at 1.50.xxx

2013 Camaro 1LE 1.58.85
2012 Camaro ZL1 1.56.58
2014 Camaro Z/28 1.53.71

The interview was referring to the base GT350 (the new base that is actually a track car)

"the trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.”
Ronald Reagan -
hotlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 10:13 AM   #54

This ZL1 1LE is being touted as "the most extreme Camaro ever built for the track"..."It is meant for the track"....etc., etc....

The track times at each and every track, especially and including the 'Ring, should not be a vague guessing game, left open for interpretation and debate. Chevy should make them crystal clear with actual results, comparisons to all other makes' times, details of conditions, and driver(s), etc...

Otherwise all this track hype will be perceived as just that...mere hype and a cop-out...

The devil is indeed in the details...especially when it comes to track times. Cut the crap and give us the actual times.
Old 03-12-2017, 10:22 AM   #55
Artos

Drives: A10 LT4
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90503 View Post
Otherwise all this track hype will be perceived as just that...mere hype and a cop-out...

The devil is indeed in the details...especially when it comes to track times. Cut the crap and give us the actual times.
Patience amigo...there is no doubt they are coming. After all, it is a 2018 & they have time for hero runs before orders are taken.

With the track times of the current ZL1, I find it hard to believe this car will be adding any hype to her weight.
Artos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 10:29 AM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artos View Post
Patience amigo...there is no doubt they are coming. After all, it is a 2018 & they have time for hero runs before orders are taken.

With the track times of the current ZL1, I find it hard to believe this car will be adding any hype to her weight.
I hear ya, but so far all we have is the same old run-around and dodging of specifics, like from the Milford track....A "3 second" factor that's as clear as mud..."Draw your own conclusions"....Faster than the GT350?....Well, it's faster than the previous 1LE...Which previous 1LE?....Blah, blah, blah...

What the hell was the ZL1 1Le's best lap time at Milford?....Why can't they at least get off to a good, honest start?

If it wasn't a "Track Car", it wouldn't matter as much....This teaser lap time game already with this car is stupid and unnecessary....