Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

AWE Tuning

Old 03-02-2017, 10:40 AM   #43
17CamaroZL1
Life's Short, Live Fast!

Drives: 2017 Hyper Blue A10 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven87 View Post
If the ZL1-E is supposed to be the ultimate track car with the goodies it has (which are awesome) and an intent to lower weight, why leave the other street niceties in place such as the heated/cooled seats and powered options?

I realize these street-oriented features will be appreciated for those who do not track their car but for hardcore track guys they only add weight.

Still an incredible machine regardless. The heated and cooled seats in particular just surprise me.

I like the idea of leaving all of that. Hardcore guys will replace the seats with super light carbon fiber seats anyway as well as remove anything else they can to lower weight, so for the ones that just want do some track days in one of the baddest track cars around, they still have the luxury items. Plus cooled seats can really feel good when you driving hard on a hot summer day. The heated and cooled parts don't really add much weight either. It's more in the steel frame, leather, and power adjustable motors and the like when it comes to how heavy the seats are.
Life's Short, Live Fast! https://youtu.be/rTUv2p4T7OA 10.94 at 128 mph, 11.13 at 127mph 870 DA, https://youtu.be/e_X_LcpFp50 11.19 at 127mph 1100 DA, https://youtu.be/OXQiCQdQuH4 11.40 at 125mph 1800 DA
https://youtu.be/uWba1qs8M6Q 11.52 at 123mph 3500 DA
TZQPHG '17 ZL1 HBM|A10|Nav|PDR|CFW Hood|ZL1 Mats

12/26/2016 Ordered!
2/8/2017 Built!!
3/2/2017 Brought Home!!!
17CamaroZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 10:42 AM   #44

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoner View Post
As far as the Z-28, i thought i read somewhere the Z-28 has always been, and always will be a naturally aspirated motor, NO supercharger.
If you want to key in on that one feature, you are correct. And it's the reason there isn't one offered now. There are a ton of features that didn't exist back in the day that could rule out calling any model being called anything that it is now...You can cherry pick and interpret legacy and heritage features and emotions to fit any argument you care to make...

I would suggest that the most track focused and best performing model of Camaro could fill the bill of being called a Z/28....The ZL1 1LE seems to be in the theme of the Z/28 more than any other Camaro. But semantics of N/A keep that from happening...If it were called a Z/28 I don't think anyone would have been surprised. There is a whole forum and numerous threads suggesting the Z/28 would have the LT4...and for all intents and purposes, it did....just not the badge.

So here we are, no Z/28, and none on the horizon other than the scrambling for an explanation by experts, magazine editors and bloggers who have new-found insight into something that maybe two, three, or four years away.
90503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 12:16 PM   #45
MoreSpeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90503 View Post
One major difference worth noting is the ZL1 1LE's departure from MRC...

MRC seems like an unmodifiable feature that limits suspension changes and upgrades. I think many ZL1 owners will be disappointed to find out that upgrading to 1LE features may not be doable...Earlier threads and discussions all sung the praises of MRC as being optimal for the track, no need for aftermarket up-grades, as all was done to the max with MRC....Apparently that theory has been cast aside with the ZL1 1LE use of non MRC and 5thGen Z/28 DSSV dampers....Non MRC ZL1 owners may have better luck modifying to the 1LE up-grades....Or not...could be all wrong...we'll see....
I think MRC would work fine on the track, but I believe it limits what you can do with camber, toe, ride height, etc..., especially if you are going with race rubber and need more camber. MRC will give you some adjustability, just not much... like on most street cars. However, if you go crazy here for the track, the car will wear out tires very fast and hit bottom on every road undulation, and not have that nice on center feel.

The 1LE also adds adjustable sway bar... which can really help if you want to dial out understeer or add more oversteer. Given the prowess of the original ZL1 on the track, it looks like they didn't bake in much understeer anyway... so I am not sure how needed that is.

I think the 1LE package will be an animal on the track and it will give the suspension tuning gods a lot to play with. Just note, everything comes with a trade off. Things that people take for granted... like tracking right down the highway, are often lost when you really start tuning for the track. What is twitchy on the road, might be perfect on the track. I just hope people don't buy the ZL1 1LE just to get the baddest Camaro, only to be surprised that track cars are not good street cars.

Sold 2010 997 GT3, 2016 WRX, 2006 997 C2S, 2003 996 C4S, 2001 Boxster S, 1997 E420 AMG
etc..
MoreSpeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 12:35 PM   #46
2010REDSS

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Quote:

I would suggest that the most track focused and best performing model of Camaro could fill the bill of being called a Z/28....The ZL1 1LE seems to be in the theme of the Z/28 more than any other Camaro. But semantics of N/A keep that from happening...If it were called a Z/28 I don't think anyone would have been surprised. There is a whole forum and numerous threads suggesting the Z/28 would have the LT4...and for all intents and purposes, it did....just not the badge.

So here we are, no Z/28, and none on the horizon other than the scrambling for an explanation by experts, magazine editors and bloggers who have new-found insight into something that maybe two, three, or four years away.
You nailed it!

This car - the 2018 ZL1 1LE - is the current "most track focused and best performing model of Camaro".

The fact that Chevy decided not to call it a "Z/28" because they believe that only a NA car could/should carry that badge - does not change that.

I love my 2015 Z/28.....but it needs 150 more HP to hang with the cars I typically track with. As a result, I was hoping/praying that the reveal at Daytona was going to be the Gen 6 Z/28 AND that it was going to have the LT4.

I love the car they revealed. The fact that it isn't badged Z/28 does not trouble me at all. I expect to own one as soon as I can and have a blast on the track.

At some point...this car too will be surpassed by another even better Camaro. And that is a GOOD thing for those of us that love Camaro's.

I just don't see how an NA version of a Camaro (i.e. Z/28) will be able to top this car unless Chevy gets very, very, very serious about weight reduction.

It will be fun to watch and wait and see what they cook up in a few years!

2018 ZL1 1LE "RAZECAR"
2016 2SS Convertible "NOTOPSS" (Sold)
2015 Z/28 #306 "ITZFAST"
2010 2SS Coupe "FASSTER" (Sold)
2002 SS/RS "02FASST" (Sold)
2007 Factory Five Racing GTM "REDBLUR" (Sold)

"There are two kinds of cars. Red....and everything else!"
2010REDSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 02:09 PM   #47
2cnd chance
Too Many Great Choices

Drives: Grand Sport/Z07
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoreSpeed View Post
I think MRC would work fine on the track, but I believe it limits what you can do with camber, toe, ride height, etc..., especially if you are going with race rubber and need more camber. MRC will give you some adjustability, just not much... like on most street cars. However, if you go crazy here for the track, the car will wear out tires very fast and hit bottom on every road undulation, and not have that nice on center feel.

The 1LE also adds adjustable sway bar... which can really help if you want to dial out understeer or add more oversteer. Given the prowess of the original ZL1 on the track, it looks like they didn't bake in much understeer anyway... so I am not sure how needed that is.

I think the 1LE package will be an animal on the track and it will give the suspension tuning gods a lot to play with. Just note, everything comes with a trade off. Things that people take for granted... like tracking right down the highway, are often lost when you really start tuning for the track. What is twitchy on the road, might be perfect on the track. I just hope people don't buy the ZL1 1LE just to get the baddest Camaro, only to be surprised that track cars are not good street cars.
Great Post, I agree! This was my intent with this thread, to communicate what the 1LE package is offering. Thanks!
Old 03-02-2017, 02:25 PM   #48
nvrlast07

Drives: 2011 synergy green rs
thanks for posting this thread, it mixed the pot up a bit but hey that's what a forum is here more. The good the bad, post it and see some reactions.

I have been to severeal track events over the years both import and domestic and all organized by the SCCA. When it comes to tracked cars the difference between 1/4 track cars and time attack cars is a big difference. Chevy built this car to be a auto cross (time attack) car not a drag car. I love how chevy is really putting in real time a money into designing these kind of platforms. Not everyone likes drag cars, time attack tests drivers and cars in some many other levels.

I am all for this zl1 1le package, i am glad i didn't buy the zl1, now i can patiently wait for a car that i can truely have the best of both worlds.

Yes i will be driving this car to work, not every day but more than likely 4 times a week in the summer. I know people would say ohh man don't do that its a track car. If i'm driving 65 mph on the hwy and taking it easy, it will not break.
nvrlast07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 02:43 PM   #49
2cnd chance
Too Many Great Choices

Drives: Grand Sport/Z07
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvrlast07 View Post
thanks for posting this thread, it mixed the pot up a bit but hey that's what a forum is here more. The good the bad, post it and see some reactions.

I have been to severeal track events over the years both import and domestic and all organized by the SCCA. When it comes to tracked cars the difference between 1/4 track cars and time attack cars is a big difference. Chevy built this car to be a auto cross (time attack) car not a drag car. I love how chevy is really putting in real time a money into designing these kind of platforms. Not everyone likes drag cars, time attack tests drivers and cars in some many other levels.

I am all for this zl1 1le package, i am glad i didn't buy the zl1, now i can patiently wait for a car that i can truely have the best of both worlds.

Yes i will be driving this car to work, not every day but more than likely 4 times a week in the summer. I know people would say ohh man don't do that its a track car. If i'm driving 65 mph on the hwy and taking it easy, it will not break.
You're welcome. I hope everyone goes in with eyes wide open.
I also didn't want those who own or are purchasing the ZL1 without the 1LE package to feel left behind. You'll be fine as you're aware of the vehicles qualities.

Yes Kudos to GM they IMO have always been in front regarding the handing of a car. Chasing handling is far more time consuming and expensive than other areas of performance. Go GM!
Old 03-02-2017, 05:35 PM   #50
OminouSS

Drives: Red Hot track candy
I need to take back a couple things I said about my 1st reaction to the Z1LE. It would probably make my lap times a little better. It is a better track car at any speed, no argument in my mind. But I maintain that for the many people, including the vast majority here, it is not going to make them any more a winner than the standard ZL1. If anyone thinks that by driving this car back to back with your pedestrian ZL1 that you are going to see a 3 second improvement, then, well I'm sorry but that's a bit hopeful. Or more likely, you had a really good lap with the car. That's mental. People push a car harder if they're told the setup is right.

I also continue to believe that the single largest improvement for most drivers is with the rubber. The right rubber and contact patch on any car is going to impact lap times - and BIG. That to me is a set-up item though as I have the very tire and wheel size as the ZL1 1LE on my ZL1 in the garage right now.

Aero. Okay, there's a mixed bag o feelings for me. Anybody ever driven a car with the WRONG aero package for the track & conditions? You don't know until you read back your times. Can we also put suspension in that category?

Now I appreciate greatly the adjustable nature of the car. That to me is why the car is almost worth considering. The problem? I don't trust my knowledge and/or ability to dial in the car for every track and condition. Not to mention that I'm lazy and a 1-man-show. Anybody have access to the GM techs who dial in the car at the GM test track? Three seconds. That's significant. It's just not 3 seconds to me. But it is a better track car. Hands down. Just throwing a little reality into the conversation.

AND...OP, your title is very well put.

Last edited by OminouSS; 03-02-2017 at 09:26 PM. Reason: Credit to OP
OminouSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 07:18 PM   #51
Artos

Drives: A10 LT4
Good post...I didn't comment when you first mentioned but it's hard to dismiss 3 seconds on a 2.9 mile track...when mlee or one of the other mods said that translated to 10 plus faster on the ring, it sorta made my hair stand on end. That is quite an improvement if it turns out to be anywhere close. I just don't see any other car in the price point touching this 1LE. It is simply awesome & even the gaudy wing is growing on me a little & love the front profile.

Thing is this car is going to be purchased & appreciated most by those that spend a ton of time on the track & want/need it for that application...majority of others are the ones who simply want the most bad ass Camaro available. Both are legitimate reasons to own one if you have the desire & jack to buy it.

I could certainly hold off & wait for this option too, but the A10 is more appealing to me in aesthetics & I'm only envisioning 1-2 rack days per year. Combine that with it being a fifty makes it a done deal. I'm right there with you, I might be a bit faster on the track & also combine that with the fun of the manual makes it tempting. However, the A10, better DD qualities & the subdued lines of the standard ZL1 is simply the better decision for me personally.

I hope everyone enjoys their ride & has no regrets regardless of decision.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OminouSS View Post
I need to take back a couple things I said about my 1st reaction to the Z1LE. It would probably make my lap times a little better. It is a better track car at any speed, no argument in my mind. But I must maintain that for the many people, including the vast majority here, it is not going to make them any more a winner than the standard ZL1. If anyone thinks that by driving this car back to back with your pedestrian ZL1 that you are going to see a 3 second improvement, then, well I'm sorry but that's a bit hopeful. Or more likely, you had a really good lap with the car. That's mental. People push a car harder if they're told the setup is right.

I also continue to believe that the single largest improvement for most drivers is with the rubber. The right rubber and contact patch on any car is going to impact lap times - and BIG. That to me is a set-up item though as I have the very tire and wheel size as the ZL1 1LE on my ZL1 in the garage right now.

Aero. Okay, there's a mixed bag o feelings for me. Anybody ever driven a car with the WRONG aero package for the track & conditions? You don't know until you read back your times. Can we also put suspension in that category?

Now I appreciate greatly the adjustable nature of the car. That to me is why the car is almost worth considering. The problem? I don't trust my knowledge and/or ability to dial in the car for every track and condition. Not to mention that I'm lazy and a 1-man-show. Anybody have access to the GM techs who dial in the car at the GM test track? Three seconds. That's significant. It's just not 3 seconds to me. But it is a better track car. Hands down. Just throwing a little reality into the conversation.
Artos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 05:59 AM   #52
aa406079

Drives: New : 2017 SS 1LE Old: 2012 TTRS M6
Quote:
If you want to key in on that one feature, you are correct. And it's the reason there isn't one offered now. There are a ton of features that didn't exist back in the day that could rule out calling any model being called anything that it is now...You can cherry pick and interpret legacy and heritage features and emotions to fit any argument you care to make...

The Z28 was announced 4 years after the 5th Gen was..... impatient much?

I dont understand why you are complaining... GM has now given use 3 great 1LE trims, an ACR killer in the ZL1 1LE... and best of all a future Z28 that will be even better....
aa406079 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 10:51 AM   #53

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by aa406079 View Post
The Z28 was announced 4 years after the 5th Gen was..... impatient much?

I dont understand why you are complaining... GM has now given use 3 great 1LE trims, an ACR killer in the ZL1 1LE... and best of all a future Z28 that will be even better....
Not complaining about how awesome the ZL1 1LE is at all....They have bumped up the 1LE option to Z/28 levels. Fantastic. But this car, supercharged and all, is what could have, perhaps should have, been called the Z/28....I guess if I had to pick a complaint that would be it....But it doesn't matter, the car is what it is regardless of how it's badged...I don't think it will get it's just praises simply because it's not called a Z/28, and that's a shame...

Some will wait for a Z/28 that is now a new mystery that may never come to fruition....I guess this is the birth of a new tradition/pattern that should be factored into the ever twisting and turning evidence of the past as to what some use to predict what will come out in the future.....No worries, but I'm done trying to use any sort of past history and legacy of previous years for what determines any type of model release....To me, none of it makes any sense, and isn't worth the brain-power to try and figure it out.

These Camaros are definitely great cars that just get better all the time. Peace.
90503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 12:46 PM   #54
Squatch
Camaro pilot

Drives: 69 Camaro, 2014 ZL1
I only drive Camaro's, And I pick my version by Looks, and power. For me the ZL1LE looks the best, I love the Canards and big splitter, and the wing on the back looks better than the wing on the standard ZL1. Not sure I will use any of the adjustability, but I have just started to get into road racing (Dabbled in Drag racing a bit). Wont be the best Daily Driver, but I don't care (my wife might get two black eyes from all the rough jostling on highways, but Ill just smile) The 1LE trim looks way more aggressive, so that will by the version I get...so far. 2020 is when I plan on buying another Camaro to add to my collection, who knows what versions will be available by then.
Old 03-03-2017, 03:19 PM   #55
OminouSS

Drives: Red Hot track candy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squatch View Post
I only drive Camaro's, And I pick my version by Looks, and power. For me the ZL1LE looks the best, I love the Canards and big splitter, and the wing on the back looks better than the wing on the standard ZL1. Not sure I will use any of the adjustability, but I have just started to get into road racing (Dabbled in Drag racing a bit). Wont be the best Daily Driver, but I don't care (my wife might get two black eyes from all the rough jostling on highways, but Ill just smile) The 1LE trim looks way more aggressive, so that will by the version I get...so far. 2020 is when I plan on buying another Camaro to add to my collection, who knows what versions will be available by then.
I appreciate your honesty in sharing that perspective. I suspect there are more with your mindset than we think. Looks matter most to some. Looks fast as hell, that's for damned sure.
Old 03-03-2017, 05:25 PM   #56
MoreSpeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by OminouSS View Post
I need to take back a couple things I said about my 1st reaction to the Z1LE. It would probably make my lap times a little better. It is a better track car at any speed, no argument in my mind. But I maintain that for the many people, including the vast majority here, it is not going to make them any more a winner than the standard ZL1. If anyone thinks that by driving this car back to back with your pedestrian ZL1 that you are going to see a 3 second improvement, then, well I'm sorry but that's a bit hopeful. Or more likely, you had a really good lap with the car. That's mental. People push a car harder if they're told the setup is right.
Most people new to the track floor it on the straights and dog it on the corners (since corners are where most people get into trouble). It is the corners that really make a difference. A two mile per hour better exit speed on a corner is huge if it follows a long straight. Non racers don't get that.

Exit speed is key. Everything else being equal, you maintain that speed advantage for the whole straight (in most cases).

This ZL1 ILE will even make slower people much faster. It is likely to give anyone a 3 second improvement (novices even more) since the ILE will feel more planted on the corners and more stable at high speeds.

Even if you are dogging it, you are now likely to be dogging your corners faster since they will feel safer. You will gain speed. You will also be less likely to pull out of full throttle on the straight as your car gets light, because the aero will mean your car wont get very light.

You will likely be faster on a road course with this ZL1 ILE.. even a novice. The real question is not will you or wont you be faster, but rather does a few seconds matter to you at all if you are having fun. I have been out there with beat up Eagle Talons. I can't say that I was having any more fun than that gentleman, even though his car was a piece of sh...t.

I believe the ZL1 will be awesome on the track. It is just that the ZL1 ILE will be awesomerrrr...

Sold 2010 997 GT3, 2016 WRX, 2006 997 C2S, 2003 996 C4S, 2001 Boxster S, 1997 E420 AMG
etc..
MoreSpeed is offline   Reply With Quote