Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Bigwormgraphix

Old 03-03-2016, 01:30 PM   #43
DRKS1D3

Drives: '17 Corvette Grand Sport M7
I agree with what some are saying. The guts of the car are impressive (LS3, mag ride, Recaro seats., etc.), but I would've liked to see it being a little more aggressive on the exterior. Maybe some hood scoops like the G8 GXP? BTW, I've only ever seen 1 SS on the road.

**SOLD**2011 TRIPLE BLACK SS CONVERTIBLE--6 SPEED MANUAL, MANY MODS, 455 RWHP/435 RWTQ

DAD'S RIDE: 2012 ZL1 #1866--BLACK, 6 SPEED MANUAL, EXPOSED CF HOOD, POLISHED WHEELS, SUNROOF, ROTO-FAB INTAKE

"Silly Americans, taking from the rich and giving to the poor only works in fairy tales. Success is earned here!".
DRKS1D3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 02:13 PM   #44
sspolo

Drives: 2014 Camaro SS 1LE
People confuse the Camaro for a Mustang or a Challanger. Many even think that a Camaro has a HEMI. Now to find someone in the know regarding a low production, performance sedan is probably challenging. Those thumbs up are probably at car meets or at acceleration since most people are probably caught by surprise that such a car packs punch.
sspolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 02:23 PM   #45
Aaron0731

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearheaded View Post
They've got to average the sales of their fuel efficient cars as well, to make EPA regulations. It's a big fine if they don't average sales of vehicles in combination of average MPG, if I'm not mistaken.

So a double edge sword of selling a ton of V8's is reducin their collective MPG, even though actual vehicle sales are high. All of this info was given to me from GM reps
True it's why we have AFM.
Aaron0731 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 02:25 PM   #46
Aaron0731

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRKS1D3 View Post
I agree with what some are saying. The guts of the car are impressive (LS3, mag ride, Recaro seats., etc.), but I would've liked to see it being a little more aggressive on the exterior. Maybe some hood scoops like the G8 GXP? BTW, I've only ever seen 1 SS on the road.
That I can recall I've never seen an SS on the road. I've seen em parked though. Reminds me of the SSR which was the El Camino bring back. Awesome car just doesn't sell.
Aaron0731 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 02:50 PM   #47
Bhobbs

Drives: 2015 SS 1LE Red Hot, 1970 Chevelle
I wouldn't want the Chevelle to come back. It would be a slower, more expensive version of the Camaro.
Old 03-03-2016, 03:30 PM   #48
shaffe

Drives: 21 Bronco
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apex Motorsports View Post
It has been an interwebs rumor for years. That is all it is. There is just no place in the lineup for it.

this ^

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Stacy View Post
I remember these. Nice cars.

69 442 gorgeous!
it has more power...its available power is like a set kof double Ds (no matter where your face is... theyre everywhere) it has the suspension to mame it matter...(
shaffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 04:09 PM   #49
BMR Sales

Drives: Race Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by justjoshin View Post
They should have used the Chevelle name on the SS sedan.... That alone would probably have boosted sales.
I have never understood why GM wanted to limit how many SS's they sell. Their Template for Nascar is the SS, they make Police Cars under the Caprice name, etc
BMR Sales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 05:44 PM   #50
FenwickHockey65
General Motors Aficionado

Drives: 2023 GMC Canyon, 2020 Colorado
Send a message via AIM to FenwickHockey65
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcampos View Post
I've made this argument before a long time ago. The new SS should have been the Malibu SS, chevy's chance to bring back that old skool heritage of the 60's Malibu SS. However, chevy didn't want to redefine the G8/SS/GTO look. Rather got lazy and made up a car like Pontiacs G8, we all see how well that did, psh. IMO, chevy should have lengthened the SS drop the top a smidge and square/modernize it more and slapped the Malibu SS emblem on it and it would have got a lot of the older generation guys a hard on for the car. Just IMO... but whatever chevy knows what their doing that is why the Chevy SS(???) is doing so well...

I think the new Malibu looks decent and that line up sells good, why wouldn't chevy bring back the Malibu SS???
The point of the SS wasn't to spend a crapload of money to bring it to market, which what you're asking for would take. It was just to give the VF Commodore an additional export market (which was the purpose of the G8 for the VE Commodore).

So yes, believe it or not, GM does know what they're doing. Creating a "Malibu SS" in the way you're describing isn't a viable business case in the least.

Quote:
Says the guy who has a Chevy SS in the picture...
But he's right. SS was meant to be a low volume car from the start. In fact the initial plan was to offer it available as a special order only.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMR Sales View Post
I have never understood why GM wanted to limit how many SS's they sell. Their Template for Nascar is the SS, they make Police Cars under the Caprice name, etc
CAFE. And Caprice and SS are two different cars.
Old 03-03-2016, 07:03 PM   #51
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
I've made this argument before a long time ago. The new SS should have been the Malibu SS, chevy's chance to bring back that old skool heritage of the 60's Malibu SS. However, chevy didn't want to redefine the G8/SS/GTO look. Rather got lazy and made up a car like Pontiacs G8, we all see how well that did, psh. IMO, chevy should have lengthened the SS drop the top a smidge and square/modernize it more and slapped the Malibu SS emblem on it and it would have got a lot of the older generation guys a hard on for the car. Just IMO... but whatever chevy knows what their doing that is why the Chevy SS(???) is doing so well...

I think the new Malibu looks decent and that line up sells good, why wouldn't chevy bring back the Malibu SS???
Or, they could expect a bit fewer sales at only a couple percent of the investment cost.

What you propose would cost as much to develop as the 5th gen Camaro did. And as such, it would need to sell in comparable volume to what the Camaro did in order to be viable. But, since only about half of 5th gen sales were SSs a Malibu SS would need to sell twice as well as the Camaro SS has. And there is no way that a bigger, slower, more expensive car with a less recognizable badge would get anywhere close to doing that.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 10:41 AM   #52
BMR Sales

Drives: Race Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by FenwickHockey65 View Post

CAFE. And Caprice and SS are two different cars.
Yes and no. The Drivetrain & Suspensions are the same
BMR Sales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 11:25 AM   #53
KJZ28

Drives: 2018 Buick Regal TourX
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaFisch View Post
up there with the mid engine corvette
That is happening. I know people.
KJZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 10:06 PM   #54
strykerg8gt

Drives: 2009 Pontiac G8 GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by KJZ28 View Post
That is happening. I know people.
Many times I've heard this. Gonna have to see it to believe it.
strykerg8gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 12:05 AM   #55
FenwickHockey65
General Motors Aficionado

Drives: 2023 GMC Canyon, 2020 Colorado
Send a message via AIM to FenwickHockey65
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMR Sales View Post
Yes and no. The Drivetrain & Suspensions are the same
SS = 6.2L LS3 V8.
Caprice = 3.6L LFX V6 or 6.0L L77 V8.
Old 03-05-2016, 12:33 AM   #56

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
They need to make a Chevelle "F" model....How's that you may ask?

.....That's right, there will be no such thing as a F in Chevelle....
90503 is offline   Reply With Quote