Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

AWE Tuning

Old 12-03-2012, 09:00 AM   #1
Tran
Administrator

Drives: 2010 Camaro of course....
Post 6th Gen Camaro once again rumored with 2.0L turbo 4 cylinder variant

Going back as far as 2008, there have been rumors of a possible turbo 4 cylinder engine for the current Camaro. Even Bob Lutz, who was then the Vice Chairman of GM, alluded to the possibility for the 5th Gen Camaro at the time.

In the years since, the possibility of a turbo 4 cylinder for the next 6th gen Camaro has not only been floated as rumors, but also accepted as a very real possibility, especially as other auto companies have piled on to the forced induction bandwagon in an effort to increase fuel efficiency in the face of ever increasing MPG requirements.

GM Authority now claims that 'sources' (unnamed) have confirmed to them plans for a 2.0L turbocharged four cylinder for the 6th gen Camaro. The next Camaro is likely not due for 2-4 years, and will switch from its current Zeta platform to the smaller and lighter Alpha platform. The offering of a smaller/lighter and more efficient engine option for a smaller/lighter Camaro certainly makes sense.

High displacement fans shouldn't fret though, as the addition of a turbo 4 option doesn't mean that there will not also be V6 and V8 models, which we expect there to be.
Old 12-03-2012, 09:05 AM   #2
midnighter
Account Suspended

Drives: nothing
Thank God I was one of the fortunate ones who got to pick up a brand new Camaro while they still look beautiful and got big cojones under the hood.
midnighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 09:12 AM   #3
Tran
Administrator

Drives: 2010 Camaro of course....
Quote:
Originally Posted by midnighter View Post
Thank God I was one of the fortunate ones who got to pick up a brand new Camaro while they still look beautiful and got big cojones under the hood.
And how do you know the next Camaro won't also look beautiful and also still have big cojones under the hood (albeit with the additional option for smaller/more efficient engines)? You don't.
Old 12-03-2012, 09:13 AM   #4
RatRacer

Drives: 11 Synergy Green LS 15 Colorado Z71
WTF? I traded in my HHR SS for my Camaro. And now they're going to turn it into one?
At least it will be RWD like the Solstice/Skyy, and should be a fun ride if they can shave 500lbs off it.

There are some guys out there doing some incredible stuff with the Ecotec 2.0T. Mine would hang with the wife's LLT, no problem.
RatRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 09:16 AM   #5
HDRDTD

Drives: 2013 Triple Black ZL1 Vert M6 ECF
I've said it before, I don't really care HOW theymake the HP as longas the performance is still there.

I suspect that with the 6th Gen, it will be a tad smaller, a bit lighter, and I expect that the engine displacement will be less than the 5th Gens.

Where we have a V6 today,I suspect we'll see a turbo-4 giving us pretty much the same performance as the 6, and I suspect there will be a few V6 options, both NA and FI.

I have a suspicion that the V8's (LT4) will only be available in the 'ZL1' catagory of the 6th Gens.

Last edited by HDRDTD; 12-03-2012 at 10:43 AM.
HDRDTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 09:19 AM   #6
midnighter
Account Suspended

Drives: nothing
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tran View Post
And how do you know the next Camaro won't also look beautiful and also still have big cojones under the hood (albeit with the additional option for smaller/more efficient engines)? You don't.
True, but I am very happy with this body style and engine set up because I always liked the first gen' Camaro and dreamed of getting one someday. My 2010 is like a 1st gen' in a modernized package. Still it will be interesting to see what the 6th gen' will have to offer.
midnighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 09:22 AM   #7
sonnydurden

Drives: ‘16 1SS & ‘19 1LT
I think we should just wait and see what happens. I believe the V8 will still be in play...
sonnydurden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 09:26 AM   #8
Juiced1
Account Suspended

Drives: 2012 2SS CAMARO 45th
It failed miserably when Ford tried it with the Mustang back in the day. But if that's just a base engine and the LT1 Vette motor is still an option for the SS all should be fine. Especially, with that new light weight rumored about from the ATS Zeta platform. That new ATS rips pretty nicely for a base model Caddy. Dump in the LT1 motor and you have a low 12 high 11 second SS that should handle like it was on rails.
Juiced1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 09:31 AM   #9
Kahdir

Drives: 2010 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS/RS
I wanna see pics...

I doubt GM/Chevy will get the engines wrong, but the design... that's another story, especially considering how much the Impala will be a non-selling visual disappointment :(

I have a sneaking suspicion they'll try to pass the Code 130r off as a Camaro :(
Kahdir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 09:33 AM   #10
SlingShot

Drives: 2012 ZL1 - #670
Quote:
Originally Posted by RatRacer View Post
WTF? I traded in my HHR SS for my Camaro. And now they're going to turn it into one?
At least it will be RWD like the Solstice/Skyy, and should be a fun ride if they can shave 500lbs off it.

There are some guys out there doing some incredible stuff with the Ecotec 2.0T. Mine would hang with the wife's LLT, no problem.

Our Sky Red line with the GMPP tune would eat out LLT hands down, and would even give our SS a good run. Never under estimate the 2.0T engines, GM knows how to build them right.
Old 12-03-2012, 09:34 AM   #11
upflying

Drives: '86 Monte Carlo SS
Regardless of the performance of a 2.0T, no one can deny a stigma exists with "4 cyl"
Many of us remember this...
http://www.time.com/time/specials/20...658527,00.html
upflying is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 09:36 AM   #12
DZ28

Drives: 2023 ZL1 M6 Riverside Blue
Next gen Camaro resides on Alpha which today has 2.0L Turbo... pretty much a foregone conclusion especially with fuel economy needs beyond 2015. I don't see the V8 going away in a Camaro for at least another 10 years.
Old 12-03-2012, 09:37 AM   #13
Wvlsxjunkie
^ Has LSX addiction

Drives: 2010 L99 SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlingShot View Post
Our Sky Red line with the GMPP tune would eat out LLT hands down, and would even give our SS a good run. Never under estimate the 2.0T engines, GM knows how to build them right.
really? thats pretty impressive.
Old 12-03-2012, 09:40 AM   #14
Z/28orSs

Drives: 2000 ss
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tran View Post
if it looks anything like the ATS then the next gen Camaro has little hope...

Tags
2015 camaro, 2015 chevrolet camaro, 2015 chevy camaro, 6th gen camaro, 6th gen chevrolet camaro, 6th gen chevy camaro, 6th generation camaro, alpha camaro, alpha platform camaro, camaro 4 cylinder turbo, camaro alpha platform, turbo 4 camaro, turbo 4 cylinder camaro