Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 12-23-2020, 10:29 AM   #1
The Maverick
Somewhere in the Kalahari

Drives: 2021/18 (de-fresh) 3LT RS
Finish on the factory polished aluminum wheels?

Picked up my 2021 yesterday and was surprised by the "lines" all across the surface of the factory split-spoke 20" wheels with polished aluminum finish. Less polished than I expected, I guess.

First time I have had polished aluminum wheels, and what I am seeing appears consistent with close-up photos I've seen online, but I still wanted to check with others here who have this wheel to see if this is consistent with how the wheels come from the factory. Is there a way to improve the look of these wheels is it just a matter of "get used to it"?

Here is a photo showing what I am talking about:

The Maverick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2020, 10:52 AM   #2
vtirocz

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1SS M6
The picture didn't come through. I like that those wheels are forged! I personally prefer the design of the '16-'18 gray painted machined face split spoke wheels, but I think your wheels are lighter!

Best 1/4 Mile: 12.24 @ 115.9 mph
vtirocz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2020, 10:05 PM   #3
The Maverick

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtirocz View Post
The picture didn't come through. I like that those wheels are forged! I personally prefer the design of the '16-'18 gray painted machined face split spoke wheels, but I think your wheels are lighter!
That is certainly one of the benefits I was aiming for, otherwise I would have stuck with the style you describe which is what I have on my 2016. I never found an actual weight for the forged factory wheels posted here in the forums. I will toss one on the scale when I have them off this weekend to install the ZL1 Addons rock guards...

Since the linked photo didn't work, I'll try it as an attachment to show the "appearance" I was asking about:
Attached Images

Old 12-23-2020, 10:32 PM   #4
vtirocz

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Maverick View Post
That is certainly one of the benefits I was aiming for, otherwise I would have stuck with the style you describe which is what I have on my 2016. I never found an actual weight for the forged factory wheels posted here in the forums. I will toss one on the scale when I have them off this weekend to install the ZL1 Addons rock guards...

Since the linked photo didn't work, I'll try it as an attachment to show the "appearance" I was asking about:
It would be good to compare to the weights posted in this thread: https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=583064

Since you presumably have new tires on yours, it would be a better comparison to the cast SS wheels since that thread was comparing forged wheels w/ worn tires to SS cast wheels with new tires.

Are you able to simply remove the black 'center cap' if you wanted this appearance? I assume they are the same wheels.
Attached Images

Old 12-23-2020, 10:46 PM   #5
The Maverick

Thanks! That is one of the threads I looked at when trying to confirm weights for these wheels.

I had planned on assessing how they would look without the shiny black plastic center cap, and that photo is convincing me that the cap should go...
Old 12-26-2020, 07:29 PM   #6
The Maverick

Between the tire and wheel wanting to roll off the postal scale, and my skepticism towards the accuracy of the bathroom scale, I came up with an overall weight of 56-57 pounds for the tire and wheel (including the 3 ounce, shiny black plastic, center cap that is never, ever going back on the car).

Less the 30lb tire, that gives an estimated weight of 26-27 pounds for the wheel.

So the 2021 20x8.5" split-spoke forged aluminum wheel is maybe ~2 pounds lighter than the 2020 8.5" SS cast wheel.
Old 12-26-2020, 07:44 PM   #7
BlakeR
😁😁😁😁😁

Drives: 1ss
I also changed out the center cap. I'd like to polish mine while they're off for winter. Any advice out there?
Attached Images

BlakeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2020, 07:37 AM   #8
dpevans

Drives: 2024 Riverside Blue 2SS 1LE
Just polish them. Aluminum is like any other surface, you eliminate the defects and the "flatter" you make the surface the higher the gloss. I like Fitz metal polish. You could hand polish, buy a polisher, or maybe take them to a detailer. There are some great aluminum polishing products out there. You can even wet sand if you want them looking like mirrors.
dpevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2020, 12:46 PM   #9
Vega$69

Drives: 2017 Corvette ZO6 & 2021 Camaro LT1
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpevans View Post
Just polish them. Aluminum is like any other surface, you eliminate the defects and the "flatter" you make the surface the higher the gloss. I like Fitz metal polish. You could hand polish, buy a polisher, or maybe take them to a detailer. There are some great aluminum polishing products out there. You can even wet sand if you want them looking like mirrors.
Are you sure they are not clear coated like most "polished" OEM Wheels?
Vega$69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2020, 12:56 PM   #10
vtirocz

Those wheels look so much better without that large black ‘hub cap.’

Old 12-27-2020, 03:28 PM   #11
The Maverick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vega$69 View Post
That was my thought, and the genesis of my question about the fine lines all across the surface.

Being clear coated might also explain why GM describes them as having a "polished finish" rather than being polished, but that should make them a lot easier to care for...
Old 12-27-2020, 04:22 PM   #12
dpevans

Drives: 2024 Riverside Blue 2SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vega$69 View Post
You wet sand and treat just like clear coat on paint. If you don't know what you're doing better to let someone with skills.
dpevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2020, 07:36 AM   #13
Aaron07

Drives: 2017 2SS F1FTY
Simply take a small amount of metal polish and a rag. Apply it to the wheel and rub. If it turns black it is not clear coated and is bare aluminum. If it does not turn black it is clear coated and can’t be polished in the traditional sense.
Aaron07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2020, 03:37 PM   #14
rayhawk

Drives: Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpevans View Post
You wet sand and treat just like clear coat on paint. If you don't know what you're doing better to let someone with skills.
This won't work. The "scratches" are in the aluminum. The marks you see are based on how well the aluminum was polished. The wheels are then clear coated, typically clear powder coating.

What is shown in the pictures is typical of a factory polished finish, getting much better than that would be prohibitively expensive.