Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 06-03-2022, 07:56 AM   #1
BPN

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
2010 SS auto - Differential leaks only at higher speeds

Hi all!

I've had the pleasure recently of driving my Camaro on the German "Autobahn", known for its non-existant speed limit. As such, I went ahead and tested out this car's high speed behaviour (130 MPH and up). When I got back home and got under the car a few days later for something else, I noticed that the left side of the differential was wet with oil. It seemed to come from the left axle shaft seal.

I took out some brake cleaner and a rag and cleaned it all up. Then I drove it for some longer distances several times at more moderate speeds (let's say up to 60 MPH with some peaks up to 90 MPH in short sprints at traffic lights ) and never saw another bit of leakage. I even checked the fluid level using the check and fill plug - the level was fine. Must have been a small leak.

A while later, I had the good fortune to take the car drag racing at an American car event. That was my first time racing, so it was pretty awesome. At the end of the quarter mile speeds in excess of 130 MPH were again reached and afterwards - you guessed it- more leakage from the left side of the differential at the left axle shaft seal. After cleaning it up, checking the fluid level (still fine) and driving it normally again for a while, no more leaks up to this point.

I found out these diffs have a breather tube and suspected this leakage might come from a clog in this tube somewhere. I removed the tube from the top of the diff and checked it, but it's not clogged, folded or anything of the sort. I also noticed there is no one-way valve/check valve inside the rubber boot that connects to the diff. Is said valve inside the diff, or is it not there at all? If it's there, could it be jammed somehow, causing this leak?

Summarizing, as long as I drive the Camaro at moderate speeds (even if I floor it accelerating there), no leakage occurs. But when the speeds get higher, the leakage returns. To me, that indicated that the seal itself isn't bad, since I'd expect that to cause leaks at all speeds in greater or lesser form. What could be the cause?

I'm kind of reluctant to drive the car at higher speeds now, afraid to wreck something in the rear end...
BPN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2022, 09:01 AM   #2
gtstorey

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS2,L99, LSA SC
Are you sure it's fluid out of the diff and not melted grease from a CV joint?
gtstorey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2022, 09:48 AM   #3
frankwjr

Drives: 2010 SS 2SS M6
just replace the axle seals(s)...they are 12 yr old...right?
Old 06-03-2022, 12:37 PM   #4
BPN

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtstorey View Post
Are you sure it's fluid out of the diff and not melted grease from a CV joint?
I am, yes. It smells and looks like differential fluid and the area around where the shaft goes into the diff is oily. Also, the bellows around the CV joints are completely intact.
Old 06-03-2022, 12:39 PM   #5
BPN

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankwjr View Post
just replace the axle seals(s)...they are 12 yr old...right?
And then have them fail again because it was another problem after all, only to repeat the entire job after hunting down and fixing the actual problem? No thank you, I'd rather check in with a forum full of (hopefully) knowledgable people first.

Also, if 12 years is old for axle shaft seals on these cars their build quality is even more disappointing than I thought thus far...
Old 06-03-2022, 01:20 PM   #6
frankwjr

the original axle seals were known to leak with newer fluids, that why I did mine when I did the 3.91 upgrade.

it amazes me when peeps go lookin for problems that are starin them right in the face.

as for knowledgeable I guess by your post count yours is far superior to mine.

why I even bother in the first place...good luck with your leak
Old 06-03-2022, 01:43 PM   #7
gtstorey

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS2,L99, LSA SC
Since you are sure it's differential fluid, I would replace the entire differential. Or you could just listen to frankw2jr.

I'm tired of hearing about "rude" Americans. It seems that a large portion of the people on the different forums I follow that are from other countries are some of the rudest people on them. Not all, but a much larger percentage than average. Maybe it's a language thing.
gtstorey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2022, 09:11 AM   #8
BPN

Quote:
the original axle seals were known to leak with newer fluids, that why I did mine when I did the 3.91 upgrade.

it amazes me when peeps go lookin for problems that are starin them right in the face.

as for knowledgeable I guess by your post count yours is far superior to mine.

why I even bother in the first place...good luck with your leak
I've found that TSB as well, along with the great Klowny's YouTube video. That guy has saved my life so many times, even before I had this fifth gen and drove a third gen. Thing is, I haven't replaced the fluid yet, myself, so I don't expect that to be the cause here. Also, I still think that it would leak at all speeds as opposed to higher speeds only. Any opinions on this?

I did not mean to be rude. The frustration I feel with all the trouble this car's throwing my way (most of which I don't post about on here, since I could solve it myself eventually) must have seeped through in my previous post, along with English not being my native language perhaps. I do have some experience with other cars where I fixed symptoms that ended up having a different root cause, causing me to have to fix it twice. I hate when that happens. As I am inexperienced with these fifth gens, I am really trying to look for information here rather than just fix the symptom right away. Perhaps people on here know something I don't (as a matter of fact, I deem that highly likely). I've had amazing experiences with other threads I started, so I really do respect the knowledge that this forum contains.

A main piece of info I'm looking for is on the breather tube (with/without one way valve?) and it being a possible root cause I need to eliminate first.

Last edited by BPN; 06-04-2022 at 09:43 AM.
Old 06-04-2022, 09:13 AM   #9
BPN

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtstorey View Post
Since you are sure it's differential fluid, I would replace the entire differential. Or you could just listen to frankw2jr.

I'm tired of hearing about "rude" Americans. It seems that a large portion of the people on the different forums I follow that are from other countries are some of the rudest people on them. Not all, but a much larger percentage than average. Maybe it's a language thing.
Sorry you perceived it as rude. I didn't mean for it to be. I'm quite sure you did mean for your post to be, though. That's a shame.
Old 06-04-2022, 10:26 AM   #10
frankwjr

there is a baffle inside the diff cover that keeps the oil out of the breather tube...so I doubt that is where it's coming from...

I literally have my diff laying on the floor off my garage after having blown out the posi unit...waiting on my Truetrac I ordered from DynoSteve to show up...then back to the drag strip....yea haw!
Old 06-05-2022, 09:48 AM   #11
BPN

Quote:
there is a baffle inside the diff cover that keeps the oil out of the breather tube...so I doubt that is where it's coming from...

I literally have my diff laying on the floor off my garage after having blown out the posi unit...waiting on my Truetrac I ordered from DynoSteve to show up...then back to the drag strip....yea haw!
Whoops! You must've made quite a pull to blow that out!
Thank you for your view on the breather. Could you please take and post a picture of said baffle? I'd love to see what it looks like.

Considering another root cause seems unlikely at this point, I may end up taking your original advice and replacing the left axle shaft seal (or maybe both) and then replacing the diff fluid as well. Let's hope that fixes things.
Old 06-06-2022, 11:27 AM   #12
frankwjr

Ask and tho shalt...
Name:  IMG_20220606_114029004.jpg
Views: 167
Size:  176.6 KB
Name:  IMG_20220606_114031898.jpg
Views: 155
Size:  204.6 KB

so unless the diff was overfilled I don't see how any gear oil would make it up the breather...

fyi...the pic's need to be rotated 90 deg to the right for correct orientation...
Old 06-10-2022, 03:38 PM   #13
BPN

Quote:
Ask and tho shalt...
Attachment 1100876
Attachment 1100877

so unless the diff was overfilled I don't see how any gear oil would make it up the breather...

fyi...the pic's need to be rotated 90 deg to the right for correct orientation...
You're right... and it doesn't make sense for that passage to become obstructed, either. Can't see aything make its way up there that could block it. Doesn't seem to have a one-way valve either. I've read that this could cause moisture in the environment air to enter the diff and dillute the oil. A matter of cheaper design, perhaps... But at least that valve can't be blocked if it isn't there

Thanks for the pics!
Old 06-10-2022, 10:55 PM   #14
myold88

Drives: SUMMIT WHITE 2SS/RS CAMARO
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPN View Post
And then have them fail again because it was another problem after all, only to repeat the entire job after hunting down and fixing the actual problem? No thank you, I'd rather check in with a forum full of (hopefully) knowledgable people first.

Also, if 12 years is old for axle shaft seals on these cars their build quality is even more disappointing than I thought thus far...
Why knock the Camaro? The Camaro build quality is excellent, just
don't beat the crap out of it and expect to have no issues. My early
'10 SS has needed only 2 rear tail lamp bulbs replaced in 13 years
and 68,000 miles.

Tags
axle, breather, differential, leak, seal