Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 02-19-2018, 10:33 AM   #71
trophy hunter

Drives: 2016 1SS - M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotlap View Post
I put a piece of 1/4 plywood on that area to lift my ZL1. If the area is large enough it’s safe ti lift. Agree it’s not aluminum but it is thin.
I came into this jack thread late ........ just purchased an SS in Dec

I have always used something similar to the above, only I use a 2 x 4 roughly
8" long. The wood gives the jack (or the stand) something to disburse the weight more evenly further out than even the wide pad jack - but I still use the wide pad jack just the same

Do know though, that I will NOT use those areas as the main support for prolonged rest (ie over an hour)

Thought that I would just throw that out there as an option
trophy hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 11:11 AM   #72
Cgocifer

Drives: 2018 1SS 1LE, 2015 RAM Ecodiesel
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealJA105 View Post
Sledge, how exactly did it buckle where the bolt is? My car already fell off of the pinch weld on a jack with the ZL1 Universal jack pad and ruined my fender and side skirt. (I didn't have the shaped mag puck and it slid off the jack head) I am very leery about using the pinch welds again. The bolt is obviously going through the aluminum cradle and into a solid steel part of the chassis so I'd like to know how you saw it buckle?
How did it fall off? Just curious. I have the ZL1 addons bolt on pads and have jacked my car a few times including for extended periods while changing brakes, and etc. How did your car fall off so that I don't have the same thing happen. What kind of jack and etc?
Cgocifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 01:30 PM   #73
TheRealJA105

Drives: 2013 C6Z06
I was using a cheap jack and their universal jack pad. Old concrete, jack didn't roll properly to stay vertical, jack pad went crooked and slipped. Needless to say that won't ever happen again...
TheRealJA105 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 02:15 PM   #74
Cgocifer

Drives: 2018 1SS 1LE, 2015 RAM Ecodiesel
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealJA105 View Post
I was using a cheap jack and their universal jack pad. Old concrete, jack didn't roll properly to stay vertical, jack pad went crooked and slipped. Needless to say that won't ever happen again...
Yikes
Cgocifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 02:19 PM   #75
Soleil

Drives: Camaro 50th anniversary edition
I use this. Self made.
Attached Images

Soleil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 03:32 PM   #76
nbryant

Drives: 2016 2SS Red Hot
Not so sure if the only concern was the make up of the material in the location. I believe, and may be wrong, that another concern was the overall thickness of the material there and its inherent strength. Just because it is "magnetic" doesn't mean it was designed to support the weight of the vehicle. In the end of the day its your car, your choice. As mentioned above I have had the dealer use my pinch points stating the GEN6 is like the Corvette and requires it. And yes, to be fair and open, I also bought the jack pads.
Old 02-19-2018, 05:20 PM   #77
ac-427

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS Redline Convertible
I've have excellent results with my Zl1Addons magnetic pads on my Gen 5 Z28 and my 2018 SS Redline convertible. I since have purchased the Bolt On pads from ZL1 Addons and love em.
ac-427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 05:41 PM   #78
greaser2

Drives: 2017 A10 ZL1 KG
I’ve read several instances from damage resulting from not using the pinch weld points. Use the pinch weld points.
greaser2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 09:40 PM   #79
Weege

Drives: 2017 2SS convertible M6, NPP, MRC
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColbyJ View Post
For convertible owners, check out these...

/http://http://www.jackpointjackstands.com/
That link doesn't work. I have a vert and am still confused on where and how to safely lift. A working link to some good info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
No atmosphere.
Weege is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 09:47 PM   #80
Gunkk
Thank you Al Oppenheiser!

Drives: Red Hot A10 ZL1 Convertible
On the vert there is only one forward pinch weld you can lift with on each side.

So lift with it.

Use a slotted puck or zl1addon lift point to reduce the possibility of buckling the pinch weld.

Then put the stand under the bolts on the forward x-brace right next to where you jacked.

Once you try it, you’ll realize there really is only one way.

http://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=473325

http://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=471737
Gunkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 04:25 AM   #81
ac-427

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS Redline Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weege View Post
That link doesn't work. I have a vert and am still confused on where and how to safely lift. A working link to some good info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
I developed instructions for raising a vert at the following link:

http://www.camaro6.com/forums/showth...hlight=chicken
ac-427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 10:34 AM   #82
Blazin383

Drives: 2016 SS
Personally, I bought 2 quality floor jacks from Costco ($100 ea), and ordered two of the rubber hockey puck jack pads for use at the factory pinch weld jacking points. When I have to jack up the cars for whatever reason, typically to change tires/snow tires, I jack simultaneously from both sides or from front/rear, this minimizes twist against the frame and also means I can change two tires at a time etc. Works good and when lifting from front and rear I can easily operate both jacks at the same time by myself.
Blazin383 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 02:00 PM   #83
51FIFFT

Drives: 2017 2SS M6 FIFTY @51fifft
I would bet the aluminum brace right where the bolt is, that's way stronger than the thin ass sheet metal where the magnet is stuck. IMO if you don't have the jack pads from ZL1 that's the spot in the front on each side i would and have used, in the rear i just jack it from the center section. Changing a tire I use the always on the car added jack pads.

If you have half a brain and use common sense ( rare these days ) it's not rocket science!
Old 02-26-2018, 12:47 AM   #84
baron95
2018 1LE, NASA Instructor

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS 1LE
I'm new to Camaro - Just bought my 1LE last week, but been doing track prep of previous cars (C7 Z51, Mustang GT, etc). I've been reading this forum to gain insight, but still a Camaro newbie for sure.

Having said that, a few observations on videos and postings I've seen here of the ZL1 magnetic pinch weld adapter.

1 - Why use that to jack the car up, but then drop the pinch weld on a bare metal jack stand? Not knowing better, I ordered the rubber cover below for my jack stands. Any opinions?

https://www.amazon.com/Compatible-Mo...V6HHNJH58NS0ZN

2 - The ZL1 magnetic adapters don't look safe to me at all. They are wobbly, move around and I can see a slightly misplaced jack pad to cause them to buckle on one side or slip off. I could be wrong, but boy those scare me.

I did a test lift with flat hockey puck as well as the notched taller rubber pucks I had on hand and they worked great on pinch weld.

https://www.amazon.com/DEDC-Universa...s=jacking+puck

3 - I did not like the fact that the weight of an entire half of the car is only on one pinch weld while jacking from the side (i.e. both wheels came off the ground. I have 2 jacks so, I'd be jacking using 2 jacks (jacking a little at a time from each). This way I can lift either side, full front or full back completely. Seems like much less stress on the vehicles and the pinch weld. Thoughts?

4 - Question, not Camaro specific. When lifting both rear (e.g. to rotate tires side to side) are just front wheel chocks safe enough to prevent the car from rolling?

Thanks - and again, not claiming to have any insight, just sharing my thoughts, in the hopes it may help others.

Last edited by baron95; 02-27-2018 at 05:23 PM.
baron95 is offline   Reply With Quote