Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > Regional Sections > USA - NY / NJ / PA

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 01-02-2018, 03:44 PM   #1
beflat10r

Drives: 2017 2LT, 2018 Jeep Wrangler JKU
8cyl to 6cyl

I bought a 2015 2SS last February with 5800 miles on it. 12,000 now and it's been fun, until a couple of weeks ago with the below freezing temps and snow etc. I don't have a garage. It is in my driveway. It's depressing when there's snow on it. I do have a 2016 Impala LTZ that's my daily driver. I'm getting so crazy not driving the Camaro due to the advice about not driving it with the summer/performance tires on it that I came up with the brilliant idea that I need to trade the SS to get a new 2018 2LT. It'll be new. New is fun for me.It will have all season tires on it and ok to drive below 40º. It'll be a downgrade right? As far as going from 400 horsepower to 335 horsepower?
I don't race and or drive like a 16 year old.( Occasionally maybe like an 18 yr old ) But I love the way it sounds and I like the low end torque, a lot, and the sound.
I'm just wondering if anyone else has moved from an 8 to a 6 without regrets?
I know I'm crazy when it comes to cars. Thanks.
beflat10r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 03:58 PM   #2
chriskon
Chris

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS
Test drive it!!! Only way you will know for sure.
chriskon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 04:20 PM   #3
Glen e
Retired from Car mfrs....

Drives: 2LT RS/HR-V
Prepare for this to go 8 to 10 pages, with about two posts per page of how you’re not a real man unless you own a V-8. And you should never consider a 6 or 4.....

Hogwash…As said above, go drive both. 335 hp is plenty for me and I owned a 13 SS and a C7.... I just don’t need 465hp for around town, the V6 is a great engine.
Glen e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 04:44 PM   #4
arpad_m

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS A8
I think you'll love the 6th gen overall, and especially the interior as well as the convenience features if you're so inclined.

I suggest that you get the RS package with the all-season runflats, otherwise you'll suffer from driving in semi-dark with the horrible default halogen headlights. Also buy the convenience and lighting package if you want a HUD plus nice winter and safety features such as heated steering wheel/mirrors and blind zone alert (you'll also get nice little touches like illuminated sill plates). Oh, and if you want exhaust sound, the standard non-NPP exhaust probably won't fit your bill, get the NPP option, too.

And, as stated above, make sure you test drive the car before you buy. The power you may be taking for granted in the low RPM's will not be there, the LGX doesn't really come alive until 3.5-4k. Well at least not without a tune.

Last edited by arpad_m; 01-02-2018 at 06:56 PM.
arpad_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 12:50 AM   #5
beflat10r

i got it on 1/09

Quote:
Originally Posted by arpad_m View Post
I think you'll love the 6th gen overall, and especially the interior as well as the convenience features if you're so inclined.

I suggest that you get the RS package with the all-season runflats, otherwise you'll suffer from driving in semi-dark with the horrible default halogen headlights. Also buy the convenience and lighting package if you want a HUD plus nice winter and safety features such as heated steering wheel/mirrors and blind zone alert (you'll also get nice little touches like illuminated sill plates). Oh, and if you want exhaust sound, the standard non-NPP exhaust probably won't fit your bill, get the NPP option, too.

And, as stated above, make sure you test drive the car before you buy. The power you may be taking for granted in the low RPM's will not be there, the LGX doesn't really come alive until 3.5-4k. Well at least not without a tune.
I got my new leftover 2017 Camaro 2LT with all the above mentioned options.
I like this car much more that my '15 2SS. And I can drive it when it's below 45º outside!
beflat10r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 12:58 AM   #6
arpad_m

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by beflat10r View Post
I got my new leftover 2017 Camaro 2LT with all the above mentioned options.
I like this car much more that my '15 2SS. And I can drive it when it's below 45º outside!
Congrats, enjoy your new ride
arpad_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 04:42 AM   #7
Need4Camaro

Drives: '17 Camaro 2SS & '99 Camaro Z28
Quote:
Originally Posted by beflat10r View Post
I bought a 2015 2SS last February with 5800 miles on it. 12,000 now and it's been fun, until a couple of weeks ago with the below freezing temps and snow etc. I don't have a garage. It is in my driveway. It's depressing when there's snow on it. I do have a 2016 Impala LTZ that's my daily driver. I'm getting so crazy not driving the Camaro due to the advice about not driving it with the summer/performance tires on it that I came up with the brilliant idea that I need to trade the SS to get a new 2018 2LT. It'll be new. New is fun for me.It will have all season tires on it and ok to drive below 40º. It'll be a downgrade right? As far as going from 400 horsepower to 335 horsepower?
I don't race and or drive like a 16 year old.( Occasionally maybe like an 18 yr old ) But I love the way it sounds and I like the low end torque, a lot, and the sound.
I'm just wondering if anyone else has moved from an 8 to a 6 without regrets?
I know I'm crazy when it comes to cars. Thanks.

There's a bit more to it than just the horsepower.. The V6 model weighs a good 400 lbs less than the 5th Gen SS combined with the A8 transmission and it brings the V6 model decently close to contending with the 5th Gen SS, not quite there.. but it's no slouch and is an altogether different car from the 5th Gen V6. What you will miss is the instant torque as you WILL have to put your foot into it before it wakes up, but when it DOES wake up... its not like driving a V6... it's something else... not quite V8 territory.. but its also hard to believe its a V6.

Edit: read and saw you got yourself one. congrats.
Need4Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 07:04 AM   #8
MiamiBlueCamaro

Drives: Gen 6 Camaro RS
V6 all the way.......
https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews...tomatic-review
Attached Images

MiamiBlueCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 01:02 AM   #9
beflat10r

Nice article. Thanks