Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Bigwormgraphix

Old 05-31-2015, 08:09 PM   #1
Bongos2U

Drives: Hopefully 6th gen Camaro
2016 Camaro V6 Exhaust Sound

Has anybody wondered what the exhaust will sound like on the 2016 V6 when AFM kicks in ?
Bongos2U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 09:43 PM   #2
KMPrenger

Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 15 Colorado
Probably like the V8 when AFM kicks in???

Its only going to be an issue for those who modify the stock exhaust. Otherwise it will be mostly controlled by the factory exhaust, and likely won't be too noticeable. The times when you want to be heard, all 6 cylinders will be spinning so it should sound just fine.

If I end up with the V6, I'll option it with the dual mode exhaust. I'm sure the flaps will be more closed under AFM mode and it won't be very audible. The dual mode exhaust seems to sound pretty good this time around, so hopefully I wouldn't have to do much in the way of exhaust changes like I've done with my 5th gen.
Old 05-31-2015, 10:03 PM   #3
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by KMPrenger View Post
Probably like the V8 when AFM kicks in???

Its only going to be an issue for those who modify the stock exhaust. Otherwise it will be mostly controlled by the factory exhaust, and likely won't be too noticeable. The times when you want to be heard, all 6 cylinders will be spinning so it should sound just fine.

If I end up with the V6, I'll option it with the dual mode exhaust. I'm sure the flaps will be more closed under AFM mode and it won't be very audible. The dual mode exhaust seems to sound pretty good this time around, so hopefully I wouldn't have to do much in the way of exhaust changes like I've done with my 5th gen.
It would probably sound quite different, due to the firing order & number of cylinders. With the V8, every other cylinder will fire compared to the normal firing order. Bang, pause, bang, pause, bang, pause, bang, pause. Nice and even, though still a little odd. But the V6 can't do that, its only shutting down 2 of its 6 cylinders. Which means than it will likely go 'bang, bang, pause, bang, bang, pause' when in 4 cylinder mode. Not sure what that would sound like sped up to ~2000 rpm, but it would definitely be different in nature than the V8s running on 4 cylinders.

As for the rest, I agree
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 10:37 PM   #4
fradaj

Drives: RS
The link shows a cool video about how it will work. It will basically be a V4 when AFM is working.

fradaj is offline   Reply With Quote