Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Phastek Performance

Old 12-04-2014, 07:07 PM   #15
ilirg

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2ss
Having the same Satisfaction of driving a zl1 doesn't mean its going to be as fast as a zl1.
ilirg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2014, 08:57 PM   #16
Jason@JacFab

Drives: 2016 1LT RS Camaro; 72 Chevelle
Send a message via AIM to Jason@JacFab Send a message via MSN to Jason@JacFab
Sooo does this mean the SS will cost considerably more??
Jason@JacFab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2014, 09:48 PM   #17
Ant_ss

Drives: 14 1SS RS Black (rental)
The 6th gen Camaro SS will be available with Magnetic Ride Control ...
Ant_ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 12:26 AM   #18
Todd in Vancouver

Drives: 2014 ZL1
A new LT4 in a lighter platform with upgraded computer controls and 8 speed transmission while it may not technically be faster than the current ZL1 I do fully believe that GM is about to make a quantum leap forward to make the next gen SS close enough to be a drivers race. As a current ZL1 owner all I can say is bring it on because every time I think of doing some mods I think about the next gen and the current Z06 hitting the streets and maybe I'll just hold off a bit and see what GM has up their sleeves.

How hard can it be...
Check out my other build http://www.pro-touring.com/threads/9...ject-Obsession

Last edited by Todd in Vancouver; 12-05-2014 at 11:08 PM.
Todd in Vancouver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 02:05 AM   #19
sonnydurden

Drives: ‘16 1SS & ‘19 1LT
Can not wait!!!!
sonnydurden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 03:39 AM   #20
MrChrisLS3

Drives: 2018 1SS M6
I think that if we really want to make an educated guess, we should really analyze the roll out of the Corvette Stingray, in terms of engineering vs the C6.

The base car, while not as powerful as the Z06, performed very close to the Z06 in track times, and acceleration, and exceeded it on the skid pad IIRC.

If I look at it like that, I see the 6th Gen getting the LT1, with perhaps 450HP. I think the real difference is going to be architecture, suspension, and materials. If based on the CTS, it probably won't lose any size, and may lose a few pounds, but I wouldn't say it will be significant loss. I think it will just flat out drive better. I imagine it will see a 7 spd manual with rev match, or the 8 spd auto. Of course it will have DOD, on both, it'll have to, really.

Price wise, I suspect all versions will be pretty close to what they are now.

But of course this all a WAG on my part.
MrChrisLS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 07:17 AM   #21
grkjet

Drives: 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia/2022 LT1 otw
So what he's saying is basically the next gen SS will be comparable to our current gen ZL1's. I like it
grkjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 10:07 AM   #22
94turbolsx

Drives: 2001 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by grkjet View Post
So what he's saying is basically the next gen SS will be comparable to our current gen ZL1's. I like it
I think all he is basically telling you is that MRC will happen on the SS. Also, the ZL1 is VERY well balanced car, it does everything right. I would assume the next SS will possess those same traits.

You guys that are taking his statement as literal one, as in the SS will perform equally to or better than a ZL1, are gonna be let down.
Old 12-05-2014, 10:09 AM   #23
KMPrenger

Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 15 Colorado
wow...this is pretty cool stuff! I love it!

That said, I think a few of you might be taking his statement a bit too far...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhobbs View Post
I don't take his statement to mean an SS will take down the ZL1. I take it as the SS will be a big step in performance like the ZL1 was.
This

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotlapZL1 View Post
Depends on what the meaning of satisfaction is.

Sounds to me like Z/28 and ZL1 levels of performance are moving into 1LE and SS price range
I would definitely not expect Z/28 levels of performance in the next 1LE (at least not at current 1LE prices)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilirg View Post
Having the same Satisfaction of driving a zl1 doesn't mean its going to be as fast as a zl1.
Exactly.

I have no doubt, that with a weight loss, the LT1, and an 8 speed transmission, the next SS is going to be a KILLER car. It should be utterly amazing.

I think that is what he is saying...comparing generation to generation and describing how much better of a driving experience the 6th gen will be compared to the last generation. While I could certainly see a combination like the one I described above as being a low to mid 12s car easily in the 1/4, I wouldn't expect straight line ZL1 domination by any means.

This also means that the base cars (V6 and/or turbo 4) should also be a great drivers car, and that is fantastic. But what else should we expect honestly? Look at the rave reviews about how the drives and handles.
Old 12-05-2014, 10:12 AM   #24
camarosc35

Drives: 1989 Camaro RS (435+hp, 435 lb./ft)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonnydurden View Post
Can not wait!!!!
Well, it certainly can't be heavier, most certainly should be much lighter in keeping with the tradition of a true sports car. At least GM is on the right track.
camarosc35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 12:57 PM   #25
hotlap

Drives: 20 1LE 2SS M6 Rally Green
Quote:
Originally Posted by KMPrenger View Post
I think that is what he is saying...comparing generation to generation and describing how much better of a driving experience the 6th gen will be compared to the last generation. While I could certainly see a combination like the one I described above as being a low to mid 12s car easily in the 1/4, I wouldn't expect straight line ZL1 domination by any means
Chevy claimed 11.93 for the ZL1 and the average of all magazine is 12.10 @ 117.7 mph (thanks MEDISIN). What you describe is in the ballpark.

I don't see the 1LE or SS equalling the Z/28 or ZL1 either but I also don't think Mark Reuss was vague in implying the gap will narrow. The gen5 kings have a level of high end content that make them repeatable. Perhaps "experience" means near levels but less professional grade

I enjoyed his veiled gab at the new Stang being heavier and performing poorer than the outgoing model. Then stating Chevy has matured as a company from an engineering and execution standpoint. Chevy learned a lot with gen5 so gen6 is going to hit the mark dead on

"the trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.”
Ronald Reagan -

Last edited by hotlap; 12-05-2014 at 01:27 PM.
hotlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2014, 05:29 PM   #26
Z_Rocks

Drives: everyone crazy...
I understand the NEW Camaro shares the NEW frame with ATS, but is it just me thinking, that they simply put the existing body [with some changes] on the top of the new frame?

I buy what GM is telling us about the frame, but I still don't see the body being a new design. It looks generally the same as the current car.

New Engine, New frame, but not so New body. What do you think?
Z_Rocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2014, 07:03 PM   #27
MikeT

Drives: 2008 Malibu V6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z_Rocks View Post
I understand the NEW Camaro shares the NEW frame with ATS, but is it just me thinking, that they simply put the existing body [with some changes] on the top of the new frame?

I buy what GM is telling us about the frame, but I still don't see the body being a new design. It looks generally the same as the current car.

No.

Similar design style, but totally new body.
MikeT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 11:10 AM   #28
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z_Rocks View Post

It isn't a "frame".

When the industry refers to an architecture like Alpha it is far more than putting a body on a frame. Trucks are BOF or Body on Frame. Cars today are all uni-body construction.

So an architecture is essentially the floor pan and front of dash as well as the critical attachments to the body such as front and rear chassis members and engine mounts.

Typically there is some flexibility in the architecture that allows for variants, like in the case of Alpha, the ATS, CTS and ATS Coupe.

Hope that helps.