Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 10-10-2017, 01:42 PM   #1
Rhamp

Drives: 2017 camaro lt1
Door alignment issue

I have just purchased a used 2017 lt1 v6. A few days after bringing the car home I noticed that both doors weren't lined up with the front fender at the bottom. The doors are set in closer than the fenders. I called the salesman and he told me that he is familiar with that issue and that it was normal and he has seen other 2017s made the same way. I have been to several carlots trying to find another car like mine thats made the same way.i haven't seen any like this. Is anyone else familiar with this?
Rhamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 02:08 PM   #2
lt4camaro

Drives: 2021 LT1 10 speed auto
Not normal, here are some pics of a 2016

Last edited by lt4camaro; 02-03-2018 at 07:39 PM.
lt4camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 02:57 PM   #3
gringo
Account Suspended

Drives: Camaro V6
It's getting like the 4th gen days. Almost every other one seemed to have bulging or popped out lower front fenders.

I wonder if this primarily happens at the dealer during PDI? If so, why are they putting them on a lift without using the proper lift points?
gringo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 04:56 PM   #4
Johnwon

Drives: 2016 Mosaic Black 2SS, NPP, A8.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gringo View Post
It's getting like the 4th gen days. Almost every other one seemed to have bulging or popped out lower front fenders.

I wonder if this primarily happens at the dealer during PDI? If so, why are they putting them on a lift without using the proper lift points?
I think you're correct here - that's what happened to mine and they had to send it to the body shop to fix.
Johnwon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 05:10 PM   #5
Rhamp

Thanks for the pictures. Thats what I'm seeing that they all look like. I'll give the dealer a chance to fix it. If not maybe its a warranty issue
Old 10-10-2017, 05:45 PM   #6
Chazzz

Drives: 2018 1LT RS V6 A8 Convertible
Door fender alignment has been an issue on some cars and there are several other threads on the forum on this subject. There seems to be a wheel of quality on Gen6 with fit and finish in general, with some cars being near perfect and others having issues. Sadly it seems to boil down to where the wheel of quality lands on your particular unit. In addition to the door and fender the alignments of the front facia to the fenders seems to be another common issue. The problem is apperently poor workmanship and quality control.
Chazzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 07:00 PM   #7
DangerZL1

Drives: 2023 Black ZL1 Auto
Chazz, I’ll take misaligned body panels for $500!
DangerZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 07:36 PM   #8
MyneS
STORM

Drives: 2021 Satin Steel Metallic 2SS
I had misaligned fenders which the dealership fixed but still tried to blame it on me by saying whoever put it on the lift didn’t do it properly. This was right around the time of purchase.

Check out: The creation of STORM
American Authority Front Bumper, ACS Rockers, GM Dark taillights, ZL1 Carbon Fiber interior dash, Engine Bay “red hot” Dress Up, 6LE Skorpion hood, Borla ATAK w Xpipes (TRADED)
MyneS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 07:40 PM   #9
lt4camaro

Drives: 2021 LT1 10 speed auto
I have a 16 1LT V6 and every panel line and gap are very good front to rear. The fit and finish is what I expected from GM... very nice. I also have a 15 1LZ stingray, fit and finish very nice. I am a mechanical and body tech by trade. I cannot understand how a dealer can put any of there own products on a lift and damage body panels, they have to know how to lift them.
lt4camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 08:02 AM   #10
Rhamp

I bought the car used from a honda dealer and they serviced it so that may be the problem
Old 10-12-2017, 03:57 PM   #11
Chazzz

Drives: 2018 1LT RS V6 A8 Convertible
Another fit and finish issue that seems to be a problem on some units is trunk alignment that sometimes will be bad enough to remove paint from rubbing. Along with this a misadjusted trunk or latch has been known to not allow the trunk to open without pushing down on the trunk first. This issue seems to continue to be very common and unresolved!
Chazzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 05:00 PM   #12
redcoats1976

Drives: LT W/2LT,blue metallic
are you saying the rear of the doors is inset from the back fenders?an old body man buddy of mine showed me how to fix that and a "sunken" hood on my 67 mustang.it was simple but scary.-a foot long 2x4 inserted into the door bottom and a quick lean on the door fixed it.two 2x4s in the middle of the fenders,lean on the hood fixed the hood. i about crapped myself watching him do it but it came out perfect.
redcoats1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 05:18 PM   #13
Johnwon

Drives: 2016 Mosaic Black 2SS, NPP, A8.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lt4camaro View Post
I have a 16 1LT V6 and every panel line and gap are very good front to rear. The fit and finish is what I expected from GM... very nice. I also have a 15 1LZ stingray, fit and finish very nice. I am a mechanical and body tech by trade. I cannot understand how a dealer can put any of there own products on a lift and damage body panels, they have to know how to lift them.
I agree that this should be the case, however, some mechanics just don't pay attention and that's how some of us got an oil change on their LT1 and were shorted 2 quarts of oil. From the factory, my panels fit very well, it was the dealer who messed mine up when doing recall work.
Johnwon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 12:38 AM   #14
STYLO LT1

Drives: 2016 Camaro SS Vert.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhamp View Post
I have just purchased a used 2017 lt1 v6. A few days after bringing the car home I noticed that both doors weren't lined up with the front fender at the bottom. The doors are set in closer than the fenders. I called the salesman and he told me that he is familiar with that issue and that it was normal and he has seen other 2017s made the same way. I have been to several carlots trying to find another car like mine thats made the same way.i haven't seen any like this. Is anyone else familiar with this?
Rhamp- Were you able to get this issue taken care of? I noticed my car has the same thing going on as well.
STYLO LT1 is offline   Reply With Quote