Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Bigwormgraphix

Old 07-25-2017, 07:59 PM   #71
Wheel Team 6

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
Windshield fogging

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyd_trkr View Post
Yes, I know exactly the procedure on how the fix will be done. Effectively tomorrow 7-26-2017 I will be taking My 2016 Camaro RS into my local Dealership to have them perform the fix on my Defroster Door.

The 3 page procedure states the Dealership will have an Automobile Windshield Company to come to the Dealership and Remove your Entire Front Windshield! Then the Dealership Technician will remove the Grille from the top of the Dash and then use a Boroscope Wireless Inspection Camera to look into the Defroster Vent and locate the Defroster Door, in which the Technician will use a Clothes Hanger Type Wire Removal Tool to remove the 2 Foam Pads that are secured to the door.

Problem being with those Pads installed onto the Defroster Door, it does not close completely and lets the Cold Air push itself up to the Windshield and Cause Severe Condensation onto the Outside of the Windshield. Once the Pads Are Removed from the Defroster Door, then all to do is to Reinstall the Windshield back onto the car. There is No Other Recommended procedure for this fix.

Once The Windshield is Removed The Bulletin States the total time of the procedure is 1.5 Hours from start to finish. But we all know how that works, as the Dealership hiring an outside Automobile Windshield Company to Remove it and have them come back to the Dealership later that day to Reinstall the Windshield after the procedure is completed.

In closing: Living down here in Florida, it is a Royal Pain to get into my car every day and be faced with this Condensation building up on the Windshield within the first 10 minutes of driving and the only way you can clear it, is to turn on your Windshield Wipers. How inconvenient is that! NOT!!!! I will post back to this posting on my individual results hopefully by Thursday Afternoon.
I received an email today stating my windshield has not arrived yet but should be in by Friday. My car is going on 2 weeks at the dealership. They cracked the windshield taking it out hence why a new one was ordered. Hopefully I get it back by the 3 week point so I can update this thread. Like others I hope this fixes the problem because I can't drive my car during the summer months or it's a complete fog storm. My dealership has told me they have had this problem with almost every gen6 Camaro they have sold.
Old 07-25-2017, 08:06 PM   #72
wyd_trkr

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2LT/RS A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCF View Post
Was told today my foam blocks have been removed, windshield being re-installed tomorrow! Hope to pick it up tomorrow evening (Saturday morning at the latest).

Will get an update posted this weekend!
RCF, how did your Windshield Removal and Defroster Vent Procedure make out for you? Is it fixed? Thanks
My Link Navigation
Onstar & Bluetooth Built-In
K&N Panel Filter
Lumar/Pro WindowTint
Mailto: wyd_trkr@bellsouth.net
wyd_trkr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 08:10 PM   #73
wyd_trkr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheel Team 6 View Post
I received an email today stating my windshield has not arrived yet but should be in by Friday. My car is going on 2 weeks at the dealership. They cracked the windshield taking it out hence why a new one was ordered. Hopefully I get it back by the 3 week point so I can update this thread. Like others I hope this fixes the problem because I can't drive my car during the summer months or it's a complete fog storm. My dealership has told me they have had this problem with almost every gen6 Camaro they have sold.
Wheel Team 6: Yes, all 2016-2017 Camaro's have this problem from a base model LS up to ZL1's. I will post as soon as mine is fixed and I am back in my car no later than this Thursday 7-27-2017 in the Afternoon.
My Link Navigation
K&N Panel Filter
Lumar/Pro WindowTint
Old 07-25-2017, 09:11 PM   #74
Gunkk
Thank you Al Oppenheiser!

Drives: Red Hot A10 ZL1 Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunkk View Post
I've ordered one of these for $10 off amazon and will update once I've tested it...

https://www.amazon.com/PECHAM-Extend.../dp/B014CP231W
This pad works a charm but is a bit too big. As-purchased it covers the ambient light sensor so it will turn on your lights (if set to auto). It's heavy neoprene rubber and insulates well. Cloth on top and rubber on the bottom so it looks nice and doesn't slide around at all. Trimming to fit the vent is the best idea.

This $10 unit will easily make two pads, so you get two tries to cut it to fit.
Gunkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 09:50 PM   #75
RCF

Drives: '17 2SS, NGM, MRC, DPP; '19 F150
Quote:
RCF, how did your Windshield Removal and Defroster Vent Procedure make out for you? Is it fixed? Thanks
Posted a few days ago...

Quote:
Well, after a few days of driving the car after the "fix", there is VERY LITTLE IMPROVEMENT! Gee thanks GM...

Windshield fogging was just as bad this morning as it was prior to the "fix".

If I were thinking about having this done, I'd wait to see what a couple of the other guys that are having his done think afterwards.
RCF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 11:36 AM   #76
wyd_trkr

Exclamation

Quote:
Yes, I know exactly the procedure on how the fix will be done. Effectively tomorrow 7-26-2017 I will be taking My 2016 Camaro RS into my local Dealership to have them perform the fix on my Defroster Door.

The 3 page procedure states the Dealership will have an Automobile Windshield Company to come to the Dealership and Remove your Entire Front Windshield! Then the Dealership Technician will remove the Grille from the top of the Dash and then use a Boroscope Wireless Inspection Camera to look into the Defroster Vent and locate the Defroster Door, in which the Technician will use a Clothes Hanger Type Wire Removal Tool to remove the 2 Foam Pads that are secured to the door.

Problem being with those Pads installed onto the Defroster Door, it does not close completely and lets the Cold Air push itself up to the Windshield and Cause Severe Condensation onto the Outside of the Windshield. Once the Pads Are Removed from the Defroster Door, then all to do is to Reinstall the Windshield back onto the car. There is No Other Recommended procedure for this fix.

Once The Windshield is Removed The Bulletin States the total time of the procedure is 1.5 Hours from start to finish. But we all know how that works, as the Dealership hiring an outside Automobile Windshield Company to Remove it and have them come back to the Dealership later that day to Reinstall the Windshield after the procedure is completed.

In closing: Living down here in Florida, it is a Royal Pain to get into my car every day and be faced with this Condensation building up on the Windshield within the first 10 minutes of driving and the only way you can clear it, is to turn on your Windshield Wipers. How inconvenient is that! NOT!!!! I will post back to this posting on my individual results hopefully by Thursday Afternoon.
Okay guys, here is the Skinny on my getting this Fix performed on my car today. With my own further investigation into our Condensation problem on the outside of our Windshield when running the AC, I have now opted to play the same game as others are presently doing and that is simply to wait and see if GM does indeed come up with a 100% Fix for this problem. Apparently those who have had it done are no better off than they were previously!

Now, with the information I researched heavily last night and with talking with my local Dealership Service Director, I am going to wait until GM has come up with a bonafide fix for this, rather than my jeopardize My Windshield and Dash to be taken apart by a Technician, just to be disappointed!

I will closely monitor this Camaro6.com posting on this subject and if I find out anything new, I will come back in and report back to all of you guys! as of 7-26-2017@12:35PM
My Link Navigation
K&N Panel Filter
Lumar/Pro WindowTint

Last edited by wyd_trkr; 07-26-2017 at 12:32 PM.
Old 07-26-2017, 11:49 AM   #77
wyd_trkr

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheel Team 6 View Post
Your dealership is correct in assuming it happens to most Gen6 Camaro's. However, the higher the AC Temperature Setting you set it, the Less Condensation Builds up on the Windshield, for those of you that do not know, nor have figured this out yet. Living in Florida, I run my AC on a Hot Day at 70-73 Degrees on Start Up on my Climate Control setup, then when the car cools down I usually set it up to 74-75 Degrees and get little to no Condensation on my Windshield. So go figure, as everyone will have a different response to this on going problem.
My Link Navigation
K&N Panel Filter
Lumar/Pro WindowTint
Old 07-26-2017, 12:52 PM   #78
RCF

Quote:
Your dealership is correct in assuming it happens to most Gen6 Camaro's. However, the higher the AC Temperature Setting you set it, the Less Condensation Builds up on the Windshield, for those of you that do not know, nor have figured this out yet. Living in Florida, I run my AC on a Hot Day at 70-73 Degrees on Start Up on my Climate Control setup, then when the car cools down I usually set it up to 74-75 Degrees and get little to no Condensation on my Windshield. So go figure, as everyone will have a different response to this on going problem.
Mine happens at 73-75 setting on auto, no difference in any of those settings. If you get little to no condensation at 74-75, you're either lucky or the humidity where you are isn't as bad as Houston.

Once I get out of my neighborhood (25-35mph, stops, etc.), and going 40-45+mph with minimal stops the warm air is enough to overcome the cooling and the condensation is very little.

I still wonder if the part of the document posted (and mentioned on my receipt) about reprogramming for "fluttering" sound keeps the door from closing fully... So that if they removed the foam blocks but did not reprogram, maybe the air leak and condensation would stop???

Last edited by RCF; 07-26-2017 at 03:03 PM.
Old 07-26-2017, 12:59 PM   #79
Kaizer_911

Drives: 2017 2SS 50th Anniversary Edition
Quote:
I still wonder if the part of the document posted (and mentioned on my receipt) about reprogramming for "fluttering" sound keeps the door from closing fully... So that if they removed the foam blocks but did reprogram, maybe the air leak and condensation would stop???

This!!! I'm wanting to know about this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
3100 - 05/25/16 | 3300 - 05/28/16
3400 - 05/31/16 | 3800 - 06/14/16, #125 Built!
4200 - 06/29/16 | 5000 - 06/29/16
6000 - 07/08/16 | Club F1FTY
Kaizer_911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 01:10 PM   #80
JLSuperfly

Drives: 2014 Red Hot LS3
I really hope GM gets this resolved for the 2018 model year. It is the ONLY thing that is keeping me from pulling the trigger.
JLSuperfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 01:52 PM   #81
Kaizer_911

Drives: 2017 2SS 50th Anniversary Edition
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLSuperfly View Post
I really hope GM gets this resolved for the 2018 model year. It is the ONLY thing that is keeping me from pulling the trigger.

I wouldn't let this be the only thing keeping you from getting into a new Camaro. I love my Camaro and I have this problem rather bad but I just use a ttowel and it works fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
3100 - 05/25/16 | 3300 - 05/28/16
3400 - 05/31/16 | 3800 - 06/14/16, #125 Built!
4200 - 06/29/16 | 5000 - 06/29/16
6000 - 07/08/16 | Club F1FTY
Kaizer_911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 02:24 PM   #82
goshawk823

Drives: 2017 RS convertible
Quote:
Mine happens at 73-75 setting on auto, no difference in any of those settings. If you get little to no condensation at 74-75, you're either lucky or the humidity where you are isn't as bad as Houston.

Once I get out of my neighborhood (25-35mph, stops, etc.), and going 40-45+mph with minimal stops the warm air is enough to overcome the cooling and the condensation is very little.

I still wonder if the part of the document posted (and mentioned on my receipt) about reprogramming for "fluttering" sound keeps the door from closing fully... So that if they removed the foam blocks but did reprogram, maybe the air leak and condensation would stop???
my car is set to 74 on auto, and it's damned humid here in central Va. I haven't had this issue yet. mine's a 2017; maybe one of the lucky ones.
2010 2LT RS
2013 2SS RS

Current ride:
2017 Camaro 2LT RS convertible
goshawk823 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 02:43 PM   #83
TedJS

Drives: 2016 Camaro SS
Quote:
Okay guys, here is the Skinny on my getting this Fix performed on my car today. With my own further investigation into our Condensation problem on the outside of our Windshield when running the AC, I have now opted to play the same game as others are presently doing and that is simply to wait and see if GM does indeed come up with a 100% Fix for this problem. Apparently those who have had it done are no better off than they were previously!

Now, with the information I researched heavily last night and with talking with my local Dealership Service Director, I am going to wait until GM has come up with a bonafide fix for this, rather than my jeopardize My Windshield and Dash to be taken apart by a Technician, just to be disappointed!

I will closely monitor this Camaro6.com posting on this subject and if I find out anything new, I will come back in and report back to all of you guys! as of 7-26-2017@12:35PM
So far only a few have reported getting the fix and have apparently not taken the vehicles back to the dealer to get rechecked to see if the defrost door is now able to fully close. That would be a good step for those owners as if the door isn't mechanically fully closing that would be another issue. The technician should be able to gather some information on this by simply putting his hand on the vent with the A/C on.

At least if they take them back and the dealer calls technical assistance, sets up a case and escalates the problem to an engineer... Nobody knows the cars aren't getting fixed at that level by the bulletin if nobody is reporting back.

I realize going back to the dealer isn't desirable but... If that isn't fixing the problem... Way too much speculation on this issue, setting temperatures etc. Air is leaking out of the defrost door. It isn't fully closing. It's that simple.
TedJS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 03:01 PM   #84
RCF

Quote:
Originally Posted by TedJS View Post
So far only a few have reported getting the fix and have apparently not taken the vehicles back to the dealer to get rechecked to see if the defrost door is now able to fully close. That would be a good step for those owners as if the door isn't mechanically fully closing that would be another issue. The technician should be able to gather some information on this by simply putting his hand on the vent with the A/C on.

At least if they take them back and the dealer calls technical assistance, sets up a case and escalates the problem to an engineer... Nobody knows the cars aren't getting fixed at that level by the bulletin if nobody is reporting back.

I realize going back to the dealer isn't desirable but... If that isn't fixing the problem... Way too much speculation on this issue, setting temperatures etc. Air is leaking out of the defrost door. It isn't fully closing. It's that simple.
My dealer has definitely been made aware!

I also intend to call Chevrolet Customer Care or whatever but haven't had time this week yet.