Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 6th gen Camaro vs...

Bigwormgraphix

Old 07-25-2017, 01:28 PM   #1
00 Trans Ram

Drives: 2017 2SS
2017 2SS vs 2017 C7

This was NOT a street race. It was after an autox on an old runway. On to the story.

Guy had a 3-month-old 2017 C7 with an auto. I'm in my 17 2SS, manual. Both 100% stock, down to stock tires. After the autox cleanup, we decide to do a drag race. Since we don't have distance markers, we agreed to run to 100mph, then hit the brakes. The old 0-100-0 routine.

At the line, we both engage launch control, then get the green flag wave from a fellow autoxer.

I went through 1st and short shifted to 2nd at 5500rpm (don't know if it helped, just didn't want to bang the limiter by shifting too late). Shifted to 3rd at 6500. At this point, we are quite literally neck-and-neck. We stay this way up to 100mph (around 6000rpm in 3rd), when I haul on the brakes.

We both come to a stop at almost the exact same time. We then get out to see who was farther ahead (figuring that since we couldn't tell who stopped first, the guy that traveled farther, took longer). We had no tape measures, and the cars were about 30ft apart. But, we could not tell who had traveled farther by eyeballing it.

We called it a tie.

Suffice it to say, I was a bit stoked that the Camaro is so closely matched with a Vette. He was less than thrilled, though! hahaha
00 Trans Ram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 09:53 AM   #2
Spartan268

Drives: HB 2SS
Nice! It will be a total drivers race considering how close we are to the vettes from a performance aspect. There would be a ever so slight advantage to the vette if both drivers are identical in skill. I have a relative with a manual C7 who's itching to find out if I can hang with him. I'm curious as well
Spartan268 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 10:15 AM   #3
Tr6
The Dogfather

Drives: #1 off the line for a customer. '16
After about 120 is when the vette completely outshines our SS and about 140 vette is just gone. It is always neck and neck till about that speed then the aero and weight difference of c7 kicks in and it starts to pull. I've done a few test and compares in Mexico. I would call that pretty amazing for our cars!
#33 off the line #1 order for Customer.
Build thread HERE!
Story of my delivery HERE!
Tr6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 10:17 AM   #4
SuperSound

Drives: '17 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartan268 View Post
Nice! It will be a total drivers race considering how close we are to the vettes from a performance aspect. There would be a ever so slight advantage to the vette if both drivers are identical in skill. I have a relative with a manual C7 who's itching to find out if I can hang with him. I'm curious as well
It is definitely not a driver's race (C7 A8 vs SS M6) unless the C7 driver doesn't know how to drive it. A quick look at the fast list on the C7 forums confirms it hauls ass when driven correctly. 11.3s@120+mph being the top and the 2nd to slowest time is a 12.2@116mph. Those cars weight 300-400lbs less with the same power and gearing. That's a solid 3 tenths in any conditions just from weight.

My guess is the OP's opponent was probably the typical Vette owner who's never been to the strip. Probably never even launched it from a dig. 00 Trans Am I bet knows what he is doing in comparison. If it wasn't a Z51 package then the A8 comes with a 2.41 axle ratio compared to the 2.73 found in an SS A8. So that could have been a factor if it was not a Z51. I've never seen a media review time for one of these optioned cars, but C&D had a C7 Vert A8 with Z51 run 12.0@119mph. That's several tenths and mph faster than the SS A8 they tested.

"Voices in your head are not considered insider information."

3800 Status - 6/16/16 (Built!)
6000 status - 6/29/16 (Delivered!)
SuperSound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 02:37 PM   #5
00 Trans Ram

Drives: 2017 2SS
I could agree with it being a driver's race. But, at some point, for these cars to be raced, there have to be drivers! hahaha

I've got plenty of racing experience. All road race, autox, and karting, though. No drag race experience - not even once. But, I can shift pretty quick, and I have that "butt dyno" that tells me when acceleration is falling off at the top end and it's time to shift again.
00 Trans Ram is offline   Reply With Quote