Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

Phastek Performance

Old 06-02-2021, 02:44 AM   #1
Wuiquen

Drives: 2018 Hot Red ZL1
ZLE to ZL1. Do you regret it?

I have seen some post where Some people that got the ZLE eventually trade to the ZL1 due to the suspension of the ZLE. For those of you that did the trade, do you regret it? Do you miss anything from the ZLE suspension? I have not driven a ZL1 but I certainly enjoy the handling characteristics of the ZLE and the fact that almost nothing really upsets this car on a good twisty back road.

If you traded, why did you trade for? Suspension? Any other reason? Were you satisfied with the MRC over the DSSV for handling and track purpose? Just curious to hear the feedback. I understand the ZLE is superior as a race track but I figured the ZL1 can't be that far off.

We don't need to beat on the stiffness of the ZLE because that is subjective and dependent on the road you are driving. Just want to hear what your personal experience was after the trade.
Old 06-02-2021, 03:59 AM   #2
AZIROC

Drives: '86 IROC-Z '18 ZL1
I think you summed it up best. The zle is ment more for a race track. can it be driven on the streets as a daily...sure. so can a pro street car or a drift car. Granted those are pretty extreme examples though. I have a regular zl1 but did tear drive a few zle's. For me, while it wasn't a drastic difference, you could definitely tell there is a big difference. For me, as much as I really liked the zle, the roads here aren't the best and on 1 of the test drives I did go through a crappy part of town (street surface wise) and it was teeth chattering. Im curious on what others may have to say though. If it was going to do actual track time then I'd prob done with the zle. Since I was only going to take it every now and again, the regular zl1 was fine.
AZIROC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2021, 05:28 AM   #3
6spdhyperblue

Drives: 6th gen
Why not just throw SS bilstein or oe SS non mag shocks in it. I always wondered this
Old 06-02-2021, 09:01 AM   #4
Wuiquen

I'm not sure you can change the DSSV on the ZLE.
Old 06-02-2021, 09:16 AM   #5
Infamus

Drives: 2018 Camaro ZL1
I had a 1LE that was stolen, when I went to replace it I could not find one so I picked up a ZL1. Yes the LE has a stiffer suspension but nothing that cant be lived with, I had no issues with mine and I DD it.
I plan on moving away from the Mag ride in the future with some Bilstein's and just add the plug so the mag ride does not throw a CEL.

My understanding is that you can go from Mag to DSSV but you can not go from DSSV to Mag...
Infamus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2021, 09:40 AM   #6
Wuiquen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infamus View Post
I had a 1LE that was stolen, when I went to replace it I could not find one so I picked up a ZL1. Yes the LE has a stiffer suspension but nothing that cant be lived with, I had no issues with mine and I DD it.
I plan on moving away from the Mag ride in the future with some Bilstein's and just add the plug so the mag ride does not throw a CEL.

My understanding is that you can go from Mag to DSSV but you can not go from DSSV to Mag...
So why is it that you want to move away from Mag? I guess this is the type of feedback i would like to know. I see some ZL1 owners wanting more out of the suspension and then ZLE wanting less for street purpose. Isn't there a happy medium? If the normal ZL1 can have Bilsteins, why can't the ZLE have the same?
Old 06-02-2021, 09:49 AM   #7
6spdhyperblue

Drives: 6th gen
That’s my question. It should be easier since you don’t need the simulator modules
Old 06-02-2021, 11:00 AM   #8
ZX-10R

Drives: 2019 ZL1 Riverside
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infamus View Post

With aftermarket wheels, sticky tires, and a good set of Bilsteins you would pretty much be there
ZX-10R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2021, 11:48 AM   #9
Wuiquen

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZX-10R View Post
With aftermarket wheels, sticky tires, and a good set of Bilsteins you would pretty much be there
Do you know if the Bilsteins could be outfitted on a ZLE?
Old 06-02-2021, 11:49 AM   #10
kropscamaro16

Drives: 2016 1ss camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZX-10R View Post

i think you mean mcs or jrz coilovers not bilsteins lol
Old 06-02-2021, 11:54 AM   #11
SFV1LE

Drives: 2018 Hyper Blue ZL1 1LE
I can't imagine going from ZLE to standard ZL1, unless it's a daily driver.

The feel of the DSSVs, on street or track, is a big part of the experience--and I mean the bumpy ride, I love it, I want to feel like I'm in a street legal race car.

If I did any suspension change, and one that might help improve ride between track days, it would be with Ohlins TTX (GT4.R), MCS 2-3 way, or similar. With these you have equal or better performance than DSSV, and the ability to adjust for different
tracks and dial them down for a softer street ride between events or canyon runs. They're expensive, but coil-overs like these could be sold for ~70% of cost if I reinstall the DSSVs to sell my ZLE--I did that with Ohlins on my Evo X.
SFV1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2021, 11:55 AM   #12
SFV1LE

Drives: 2018 Hyper Blue ZL1 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by kropscamaro16 View Post
i think you mean mcs or jrz coilovers not bilsteins lol
Agree
SFV1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2021, 12:03 PM   #13
kropscamaro16

Drives: 2016 1ss camaro
i still trip out on people that buy a zl1 1le never track it and then bitch about the ride of it lol well what did you expect?
Old 06-02-2021, 12:30 PM   #14
Checkmate1

Drives: Garnet Red / ZL1 1LE
You have to be honest about what the intent is for use.

As someone who has driven both - I voted for the ZLE. The suspension may be stiff however the aggressive spring rates are required for the massive Aero that comes with the car.

These are heavy cars at the end of the day so dialing in the ZL1 via the 1LE track package pays dividends on the track and on back roads.

I have track time in my car and hit some of the best roads (Tail of the Dragon + Surrounding areas) and endured 20 hr drives with the car.

Would I sell mine today? Not a chance.

Key thing is swapping the stock GY3R tires to a streetable tire like Conti ECS or Michelin PS4S. The softer sidewalls pay dividends on the street.

Reserve the stock GY3R tires for the track only (with a separate set of wheels/tires).