Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Specific Packages / Variants > 6th gen Camaro 1LE

AWE Tuning

Old 05-19-2020, 11:03 PM   #57
Mountain

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE, 2016 1SS (previous)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RUQWIKR View Post
People within GM and the industry use both the L (Longitudinal) and R for that transmission series as old habits are hard to get rid of.
GM / GM GPS (Global Propulsion Systems) [newer name for GM GPS] are using 10Rx0 for that series now in correspondence but are not consistent.

Here's the official GM GPS USA Information Guide for 2017 MY, the launch of the 10R90 in the ZL1 as we all know. I catch myself in emails, posts, etc. still occasionally using 10L90 for example. I just did a little cut & paste from it. Below it is the link for the 2018 where it and the 80-series are called 10L80 and 10L90. So, I'd say it's fair that both are "right"...

https://gmpowertrain.com/assets/docs...tion-Guide.pdf

https://gmpowertrain.com/assets/docs...tion_Guide.pdf

Chevrolet
Bolt MMF 1ET25(MMF)FWD

Camaro LTG 8L45(M5T)RWD TR3160(M13)RWD
LGX 8L45(M5T)RWD TR3160(M13)RWD
Camaro SS LT1 8L90(M5U)RWD TR6060(MM6)RWD
Camaro ZL1 LT4 10R90(MGL)RWD TR6060(MJK)RWD

Chevrolet
Bolt MMF 1ET25(MMF)FWD

Camaro LTG 8L45(M5T)RWD TR3160(M13)RWD
LGX 8L45(M5T)RWD TR3160(M13)RWD
Camaro SS LT1 8L90(M5U)RWD TR6060(MM6)RWD
Camaro ZL1 LT4 10L90(MGL)RWD TR6060(MJK)RWD

Everything “official” I’ve seen had be with “L”. Really doesn’t matter all that much.
Mountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 11:02 AM   #58
Xaxas

Drives: 2019 2SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matos1LE View Post
Z06 and ZR1 actually use the 8 speed. Chevy says the 10 speed from the ZL1 will not fit the C7 chassis. I believe the 10 speed currently in the SS is completely different from the ZL1, so I
don't expect the 1LE package will get the ZL1 10 speed either.
Right, I completely forgot about this, was kinda in the mindset of "Camaro has trickle down Corvette parts", thanks for correcting me

Previous: 2017 2LT aka "Noire"
Mods: Chevrolet Performance Suspension || K&N Cold Air Intake || Borla ATAK Mufflers + Catback system || MRR 650 ZL1 replicas with squared 285/30 Michelin Pilot Sport 4S || ZZP 4 piston brake kit + braided brake lines || BMR everything (Solid/Lockout cradle bushing are a MUST in Camaros)
Xaxas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 11:28 AM   #59
NeverDie
Account Suspended

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xaxas View Post
Alright let me be more specific since you didn't get the point, I meant the "regular" 10 speed automatic transmission that first debuted in GM Trucks which, with a different calibration, can be used in a while range of vehicles due to the modular design of current vehicles instead of the more purpose built performance transmission found in the ZL1 trim of the Camaro and ZO6/ZR1 trims of the Corvette, only a crazy person would think an actual transmission FROM a truck is in a sports cars, or would also believe someone else seriously thinks it's a transmission FROM a truck.
No I got the "point", it was just a dumb comment. The performance comes in the form of the shift mapping, the 90 version simply has upgraded internals to handle higher torque loads.
NeverDie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 11:35 AM   #60
TheRealJA105

Drives: 2013 C6Z06
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeverDie View Post
No I got the "point", it was just a dumb comment. The performance comes in the form of the shift mapping, the 90 version simply has upgraded internals to handle higher torque loads.
This, and no reason for the SS1LE to get the higher torque rated transmission. I don't know why people ask that question in every single thread it's brought up in.
TheRealJA105 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 12:44 PM   #61
Xaxas

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealJA105 View Post
This, and no reason for the SS1LE to get the higher torque rated transmission. I don't know why people ask that question in every single thread it's brought up in.
Yeah, god forbid people know what they're getting into

Mods: Chevrolet Performance Suspension || K&N Cold Air Intake || Borla ATAK Mufflers + Catback system || MRR 650 ZL1 replicas with squared 285/30 Michelin Pilot Sport 4S || ZZP 4 piston brake kit + braided brake lines || BMR everything (Solid/Lockout cradle bushing are a MUST in Camaros)
Old 05-21-2020, 09:34 AM   #62
TheRealJA105

God forbid people use common sense and determine an SS will get an SS transmission.
Old 05-21-2020, 09:48 AM   #63
NeverDie
Account Suspended

Quote:
Yeah, god forbid people know what they're getting into
Your own comments in this thread suggest you are very well into the group who doesn't know what they are talking about.

But, at least you've been educated now.
Old 05-21-2020, 11:21 AM   #64
Xaxas

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeverDie View Post
Your own comments in this thread suggest you are very well into the group who doesn't know what they are talking about.

But, at least you've been educated now.
No shit, there's a reason I asked, because I don't know? Anti-intellectualism at its finest, thanks everyone for answering and sorry for bringing in these people who'd rather waste their time saying dumb stuff on the internet rather than contribute in a reasonable way to a discussion

Old 05-21-2020, 11:36 AM   #65
UnknownJinX

Drives: 19 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS 1LE Shock
My take is that I suspect GM didn't offer the A8 in 1LE format because they know it's a hot mess and people will not be happy when they pay extra for the package only for the transmission to overheat and even fail. It just has the added bonus that it appeals to the car people because it's manual only, for now.

Either way, I am a manual guy even though I have driven some good automatics. Personally, if I get tired of 3 pedals at some point in life(hopefully not), I'd just buy a hybrid or EV. If I am not shifting, I may as well get some extra efficiency out of it.

I am imagining the A10 is holding up better so they are offering it in the 1LE now.

GM Performance Intake and that's it, because driver mods before car mods

Past:
2009 Mazda RX-8 GT M6 Velocity Red Mica (Sold)
2015 Chevrolet Corvette Z51 2LT M7 Velocity Yellow Tintcoat (Flood totaled)
UnknownJinX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2020, 12:21 PM   #66
NeverDie
Account Suspended

Quote:
No shit, there's a reason I asked, because I don't know? Anti-intellectualism at its finest, thanks everyone for answering and sorry for bringing in these people who'd rather waste their time saying dumb stuff on the internet rather than contribute in a reasonable way to a discussion
It would have been perfectly acceptable if you weren't attempting to throw some ill-begotten "knowledge" or assumptions into the mix with "is this the truck transmission 8sp with two gears for free?"

When you make statements like that, you absolve yourself of the ability to backpedal in this manner.

But, again... at least I've been able to educate you and that's what really matters.
Old 05-21-2020, 01:54 PM   #67
TheRealJA105

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnknownJinX View Post
My take is that I suspect GM didn't offer the A8 in 1LE format because they know it's a hot mess and people will not be happy when they pay extra for the package only for the transmission to overheat and even fail. It just has the added bonus that it appeals to the car people because it's manual only, for now.

Either way, I am a manual guy even though I have driven some good automatics. Personally, if I get tired of 3 pedals at some point in life(hopefully not), I'd just buy a hybrid or EV. If I am not shifting, I may as well get some extra efficiency out of it.

I am imagining the A10 is holding up better so they are offering it in the 1LE now.
The A8 only overheated in early C7Zs, not a problem in the Camaros and never heard of lesser C7 vettes overheating either. I think the only reason the SS 1LE is yet to have the auto is purely the heritage thing of manual track package. Chevy broke that with the ZLE and see a great opportunity for more sales with an A10 SS1LE.
Old 05-21-2020, 02:24 PM   #68
UnknownJinX

Drives: 19 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS 1LE Shock
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealJA105 View Post
The A8 only overheated in early C7Zs, not a problem in the Camaros and never heard of lesser C7 vettes overheating either. I think the only reason the SS 1LE is yet to have the auto is purely the heritage thing of manual track package. Chevy broke that with the ZLE and see a great opportunity for more sales with an A10 SS1LE.
I know someone with a C7 Grand Sport A8 and he told me that when he did a track day, he did overheat the A8 towards the end of the day and had to limp for a lap or two before he got on with it again. Probably not as bad as the Z06, but it can happen on the LT1 engined models as well.

And doesn't the A8 issue go beyond overheating on tracks? I have seen some general driveability issues with the 8L90, though I didn't do that much research since it wasn't on my radar anyway. It's "no manual, no love" for me.

But yes, A10 1LE would have been an opportunity to push for more sales, and there is nothing wrong with that if it performs well.

GM Performance Intake and that's it, because driver mods before car mods

Past:
2009 Mazda RX-8 GT M6 Velocity Red Mica (Sold)
2015 Chevrolet Corvette Z51 2LT M7 Velocity Yellow Tintcoat (Flood totaled)
UnknownJinX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2020, 02:52 PM   #69
TrackClub

Drives: 2020 SS 1LE (previous: 2017 SS 1LE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnknownJinX View Post
I know someone with a C7 Grand Sport A8 and he told me that when he did a track day, he did overheat the A8 towards the end of the day and had to limp for a lap or two before he got on with it again. Probably not as bad as the Z06, but it can happen on the LT1 engined models as well.

And doesn't the A8 issue go beyond overheating on tracks? I have seen some general driveability issues with the 8L90, though I didn't do that much research since it wasn't on my radar anyway. It's "no manual, no love" for me.

But yes, A10 1LE would have been an opportunity to push for more sales, and there is nothing wrong with that if it performs well.
Fyi JA has an A8 in his (modded) car and he is one of the fastest track rats on the forum. I've also heard of some A8s overheating in C7s, but from what i recall it was when folks attempted to shift them manually vs leaving it in auto mode. But no first hand experience here.

Id agree that an A10 addition will be a welcomed feature marketing wise on SS 1LE.
TrackClub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2020, 11:03 PM   #70
KarFan

Drives: 2023 SGM Camaro 2SS 1LE 6M
Auto wouldn't be the way I'd buy a 1LE or any V8 Camaro but it's smart of Chevy to offer it. With the sales the way they are for this 6th Gen they should've done this sooner.
KarFan is offline   Reply With Quote