Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

Phastek Performance

Old 02-21-2017, 11:57 AM   #1
Kmax

Drives: 2012 ZL1 125HP kit , EIBACH springs
C5 vs C6 Who made the switch?

So, just to point out, I don't want to start a grudge session.
What I would like to know from anyone who may have owned both at some point, what are the pro's and con's?
Was your Z stock or modded?
I currently have a 2012 that is stock that I have been buying parts for to mod as I can afford to do so. No Recaros or Nav. Just deciding whether a new one would be in my future or not.
Thanks,
Kmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 12:10 PM   #2
DenverTaco07

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE, 2017 Volt, 2013 Pilot
ohhh...got your flame suit on?

C5 to C6? You know the C7 is out now right...C5 is so 2 generations ago .

To answer your question though, not sure about how many are upgrading - I think many will just because the new Alpha architecture, new power, less weight, etc. It comes standard with Recaros though, so you don't have to upgrade. NAV is a $500 which is pretty good. and they have things like Performance video recorder like the C7 , line lock, ELSD (does gen 5 have that?) - I think you should plan on upgrading.
DenverTaco07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 01:00 PM   #3
Can'tHave2MuchHP

Drives: Fast
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kmax View Post
So, just to point out, I don't want to start a grudge session.
What I would like to know from anyone who may have owned both at some point, what are the pro's and con's?
Was your Z stock or modded?
I currently have a 2012 that is stock that I have been buying parts for to mod as I can afford to do so. No Recaros or Nav. Just deciding whether a new one would be in my future or not.
Thanks,
If you have any thoughts of going to a Gen6, then do not mod your Gen5, it'll hurt the value if you decide to sell and upgrade.

I myself am going to sell my Gen5 ZL1 and maybe get a Gen6 or maybe a Vette.
Can'tHave2MuchHP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 01:22 PM   #4
Raven87
C'mon- really?

Drives: Looking for a ZL1
Kmax - to clarify - are you talking about a C5 vs C6 CORVETTE or a 5th Gen Camaro ZL1 vs a 6th Gen Camaro ZL1?

We've seen other references to a Camaro 5th generation as a C5 ("Camaro 5") by others so exactly which car are you talking about?

Given this is a Camaro forum my guess is you are asking about Camaros but I could be wrong?
2018 Camaro 2SS 1LE Black #3805 - SOLD
Raven87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 05:32 PM   #5
Kmax

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverTaco07 View Post
ohhh...got your flame suit on?

C5 to C6? You know the C7 is out now right...C5 is so 2 generations ago .

To answer your question though, not sure about how many are upgrading - I think many will just because the new Alpha architecture, new power, less weight, etc. It comes standard with Recaros though, so you don't have to upgrade. NAV is a $500 which is pretty good. and they have things like Performance video recorder like the C7 , line lock, ELSD (does gen 5 have that?) - I think you should plan on upgrading.
I knew I was going to FCK that title , trying to hurry and post while at work? Glad to see nice guys like you so willing to help correct my error.
Old 02-21-2017, 05:37 PM   #6
suzook

Drives: camaro
Gen 6 is in a different league than the gen 5.
Old 02-21-2017, 05:37 PM   #7
Kmax

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven87 View Post
Kmax - to clarify - are you talking about a C5 vs C6 CORVETTE or a 5th Gen Camaro ZL1 vs a 6th Gen Camaro ZL1?

We've seen other references to a Camaro 5th generation as a C5 ("Camaro 5") by others so exactly which car are you talking about?

Given this is a Camaro forum my guess is you are asking about Camaros but I could be wrong?
No you are right and I FK'd up. I meant the current Camaro's , You would think that Camaro 5 and Camaro 6 referred to the Generation, My error.
( I hope AL O. doesn't see this.)
Old 02-21-2017, 06:28 PM   #8
Kmax

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzook View Post
Gen 6 is in a different league than the gen 5.
That's a matter of opinion, which is why I'm asking and trying to get answers from someone who may have had and or has both. I've read all the magazines and web articles. I'd just like a new owners point of view rather than a magazine company who's trying to help sale cars.
Old 02-21-2017, 06:36 PM   #9
Cornholio
I need Teepee!

Drives: 2019 Camaro SS 1LE
^^ I have owned both and I agree with this assessment.
Cornholio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 07:39 AM   #10
jarhead420

Drives: 2021 ZL1 Convertible
I have owned both and the Gen 5 doesn't come close to the Gen 6. I have not been disappointed in my decision to change to the Gen 6. Just the new technology in the Gen 6 is worth the purchase in my opinion. Not to mention 650hp vs 580! No brainer.
Old 02-22-2017, 07:49 AM   #11
suzook

Drives: camaro
Quote:
That's a matter of opinion, which is why I'm asking and trying to get answers from someone who may have had and or has both. I've read all the magazines and web articles. I'd just like a new owners point of view rather than a magazine company who's trying to help sale cars.
I had both. No comparison.
Old 02-22-2017, 11:26 AM   #12
Kmax

So far, all I see are generalizations as to why they like the new Z.
Can anybody give a detailed comparison on what they like and or dislike?
Gauges, interior, comfort. etc......

We all know the back seat is too small, but that's the cost of going smaller to loose weight. These are the kind of things I'd like people to post about.
Maybe there just aren't enough new Z's sold yet?
Old 02-22-2017, 12:08 PM   #13
67Builder
White knuckled & smiling

Drives: '17 ZL1 AKA Perfection!
Quote:

We all know the back seat is too small, but that's the cost of going smaller to loose weight. These are the kind of things I'd like people to post about.
It's all going to be personal opinion and preference, but judging by the one 17 ZL1 i've been able to spend any time with.
The slightly smaller interior doesn't really feel smaller from the drivers seat. The back seat.... Well it's there, but just as worthless as the last generation.
The main differences for me (personal opinion of course) are the fit and finish of the interior is much improved, moving the gauges from down low center to up into the cluster in front of your face is a HUUUUUGE improvement. Seats are a little lower and more comfy for me though a little tight through the mid to upper back. But I'm 6'3" 250# so take that for what it is.
I wasn't allowed to drive the one I played around in because it was a sold order, but it sounds a little quieter than the last gen overall both interior and exterior. The supercharger is pretty quiet when you're not getting on it and the exhaust can be toned down enough to make it agreeable to most neighbors. I think it's visually a little nicer design, but I still say all Camaros since '10 have the beltline a little too high. The front end to me is stunning and menacing at the same time.
Aside from that the performance should be a pretty nice leap ahead over the last gen both from a HP and weight advantage as well as suspension improvements and ride quality.
If you have any specific questions, ask. Enough ZL1s have been delivered to get some opinions.
6000 - 04/05/2017 - Delivered!
67Builder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 01:10 PM   #14
hawk02
Coupe Newbie

Drives: 2017 ZL1, 2021 Corvette Convertible
Quote:

I traded in a '13 ZL1 m6 convertible for my ZL1 coupe.

Starting with the engine, you're adding 70 more hp and 94 more ft/lb of torque. The LSA reaches peak torque at 4200 rpm while the LT4 reaches it at 3600 rpm. For street driving, you spend more time in the peak torque range of the LT4. And I can attest my '17 feels like it has a ton more torque than my '13 ever did. Factor in a 220 lbs weight reduction (in my case it's probably closer to 500 lbs) and a much stiffer chassis and you have a car that handles significantly better and feels more nimble and quicker than the 5th gen ZL1. Chevy also made minor changes to the gear ratios on the 6th gen m6 that allows it to reach a top speed of 60 mph in 1st gear versus 53 for the 5th gen. The ratio changes make It feel like the '17 is always in the engine's power band. The active rev matching is also a very nice feature.

You also can't ignore the added creature comforts on the 6th gen like memory driver's seat, blind side indicators, auto climatic control, heated and ventilated front seats, heated steering wheel, and Apple CarPlay/Android Auto. They all add up to make for an improved driving experience.

The interior on my 5th gen always felt cheap. I had trim pieces with gaps around the edges, and side-panels that would pop out of their clips. The parking brake handle always seemed to be in the way and the MyLink display obstructed the four gauges on the center console. The interior on my 6th gen is put together so much better -- everything fits together as it should. The electronic parking brake eliminates a big handle in the way. The home remote buttons have small LEDs on so I can see them at night. A real annoyance on my 5th gen. Everything is layed out much better on the 6th gen.

I have absolutely no regrets leaving the 5th gen ZL1 platform. The 6th gen zL1 is a vastly superior car.