Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

AWE Tuning

Old 05-02-2022, 02:21 AM   #1
cjrulz12345

Drives: 2018 Chevrolet Camaro 2ss
Launch Control Confusion...

Hello everyone! Recently purchased a 2018 2ss 8-speed automatic and wanted to test out the launch control. I did everything required (sport/track, stabilitrak comp mode, held brake, etc.), however, I can't find the display menu that says, "Press and Hold Brake". I cannot find it in the performance or options menu. Not sure what to do. I feel like I should have at least the launch option considering I've seen older models with it. Tried it once before researching correct requirements and didn't do it right. Tried it again knowing requirements and resulted in wheelspin and did not hold at 2k rpm.

Has anyone experienced this and if so, were you able to find an answer as to where it is or if it's included? Also, is the menu required to perform the launch? If not, when performing it, I mash the brake down, but do I rapidly hit the gas to the floor right after brake? I'm talking like a panic brake but with the gas. And correct me if I'm wrong, but even when hitting the gas all the way down, rpm should be holding at 2k right? Owner's manual and videos were not clear. Thanks.

Here is a picture of the display I am mentioning on a different camaro:
https://i.ytimg.com/vi/TWYBRp1FSl0/maxresdefault.jpg
cjrulz12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2022, 02:55 AM   #2
samurai

Drives: C8 Corvette
I think the 16-18 model does not show this message. Just fully push the accelerator and the car should hold the RPM instead of letting it go to full. But to my experience the launch control is pretty much useless. Way too high RPM, resulting in too much wheelspin, and then letting the full rpm through too fast to often produce a burnout instead of a launch. It would recommend trying to find your own point around 2,5k - 3,5k RPM when standing and then gradually push the pedal more directly after launch to get a smooth transition to full throttle that actually gets delivered to the ground.

Best number I could get by myself in my manual 2018 SS was a 4.3s to 100kph (should be around 4.2s to 60mph).
Old 05-02-2022, 05:32 AM   #3
xplct

Drives: 2022 camaro 2ss 1LE
I know with it displayed, you have to press the brake almost all the way to the floor, pretty hard. Default on mine is set at 2k rpm, and can be adjusted up to 2.5k rpm.
Old 05-02-2022, 05:49 AM   #4
samurai

Drives: C8 Corvette
Quote:
Originally Posted by xplct View Post
I know with it displayed, you have to press the brake almost all the way to the floor, pretty hard. Default on mine is set at 2k rpm, and can be adjusted up to 2.5k rpm.
I think Pre-Facelifts can't adjust the Launch Control RPM
Old 05-02-2022, 05:51 AM   #5
dmcmahan60

Drives: 2017 SS
It does not show up for this year. 2016-2018. Double tap the Traction control button and if it says Competetive Shift Mode you are good.
dmcmahan60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2022, 06:44 AM   #6
cjperformance

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS 50th Anniversary
You definitely have to push brake ALL the way to the floor first. Then the gas all the way to the floor. The tires might chirp once while doing that before the ecu cuts power... then just let off the brake. Honestly though the launch control is (or was) pretty crap on my 17... i never use(d) it. Esp not now with the mods.
CircleD 3K Stall | QA1 CF Driveshaft
Forgestar F14 Drag 17x10 NT555R2 305/45/17 Rear
Forgestar F14 18x8 NT555G2 235/50/18 Front
10.84@131 w/4.13" pulley
??.??@??? w/3.7" pulley (installed & tuning)
cjperformance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2022, 08:34 AM   #7
joekd

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS vert
2018 SS has no display or adjustable settings, just put in comp mode, make sure wheel is straight, stand on brake pedal like a panic stop, floor it, wait for RPMs to come up then release brake

Took me a couple times to get it right, key is to be very hard on the brake pedal
Old 05-02-2022, 08:45 AM   #8
FlukeSS

Drives: 2020 Camaro 2SS A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjrulz12345 View Post
Hello everyone! Recently purchased a 2018 2ss 8-speed automatic and wanted to test out the launch control. I did everything required (sport/track, stabilitrak comp mode, held brake, etc.), however, I can't find the display menu that says, "Press and Hold Brake". I cannot find it in the performance or options menu. Not sure what to do. I feel like I should have at least the launch option considering I've seen older models with it. Tried it once before researching correct requirements and didn't do it right. Tried it again knowing requirements and resulted in wheelspin and did not hold at 2k rpm.

Has anyone experienced this and if so, were you able to find an answer as to where it is or if it's included? Also, is the menu required to perform the launch? If not, when performing it, I mash the brake down, but do I rapidly hit the gas to the floor right after brake? I'm talking like a panic brake but with the gas. And correct me if I'm wrong, but even when hitting the gas all the way down, rpm should be holding at 2k right? Owner's manual and videos were not clear. Thanks.

Here is a picture of the display I am mentioning on a different camaro:
https://i.ytimg.com/vi/TWYBRp1FSl0/maxresdefault.jpg
From what I know of launch control even on newer facelifts.

You have to stomp on the brake to the floor. Then floor the gas pedal.

Watch the RPM's if they don't stop at 2k which is default RPM setting, then you didn't do it right.

The older pre-facelift SS's did have a brake control display on the dash. I remember doing this on my older 2016 SS

But I do not see this on my newer 2020 SS.

I've elected to not use Launch control and just brake torque launch instead.

I just don't trust launch control personally.

P.S. when I say "Brake to the floor" I mean just that, if its not to the floor launch control doesn't work.

Either way here's a video:

2020 Camaro 2SS A10 | Rebuilt by: CBI Street Cars | 2" SE LT Headers | 3" SE X-Pipe | 3" MBRP Axle-Back | Pri & Sec Cat Deletes | K&N Typhoon CAI | LT2 Ported | 95mm ZR1 TB | DOD Delete | BTR Stage I Cam | ECM, TCM & E85 |Tuned by: Shane Hinds | Dyno: 510 rwhp 472 rwtq

Last edited by FlukeSS; 05-02-2022 at 09:25 AM.
FlukeSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2022, 10:37 AM   #9
SATINSTEEL1LE
Account Suspended

Drives: 21 ZL1
Funny thing, the launch control almost NEVER worked in my 2018 ZL1. But in my 21 ZL1 it works flawlessly. Both cars are a10s. And I was always doing it by the book. Glad its better in the newer cars. But nothing replaces off idle stab.
SATINSTEEL1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2022, 01:35 PM   #10
cjrulz12345

Thank you everyone for your input. This clears up my confusion about the display page, now I just got to see if I can get it to launch. If not, I will try to hold it at 2.5-3.5k rpm as suggested. Much appreciated!
Old 05-02-2022, 01:36 PM   #11
cjrulz12345

Quote:
Originally Posted by samurai View Post
I think the 16-18 model does not show this message. Just fully push the accelerator and the car should hold the RPM instead of letting it go to full. But to my experience the launch control is pretty much useless. Way too high RPM, resulting in too much wheelspin, and then letting the full rpm through too fast to often produce a burnout instead of a launch. It would recommend trying to find your own point around 2,5k - 3,5k RPM when standing and then gradually push the pedal more directly after launch to get a smooth transition to full throttle that actually gets delivered to the ground.

Best number I could get by myself in my manual 2018 SS was a 4.3s to 100kph (should be around 4.2s to 60mph).
Understood. Thanks for clearing this up. I will give your suggestion a try!
Old 05-02-2022, 01:38 PM   #12
cjrulz12345

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlukeSS View Post
From what I know of launch control even on newer facelifts.

You have to stomp on the brake to the floor. Then floor the gas pedal.

Watch the RPM's if they don't stop at 2k which is default RPM setting, then you didn't do it right.

The older pre-facelift SS's did have a brake control display on the dash. I remember doing this on my older 2016 SS

But I do not see this on my newer 2020 SS.

I've elected to not use Launch control and just brake torque launch instead.

I just don't trust launch control personally.

P.S. when I say "Brake to the floor" I mean just that, if its not to the floor launch control doesn't work.

Either way here's a video:

I watched this video multiple times before my original post and I understood most of it, just couldn't figure out if the owner in the video would hit the brake and then put the gas to the floor.
Old 05-02-2022, 01:39 PM   #13
cjrulz12345

Quote:
Originally Posted by joekd View Post
2018 SS has no display or adjustable settings, just put in comp mode, make sure wheel is straight, stand on brake pedal like a panic stop, floor it, wait for RPMs to come up then release brake

Took me a couple times to get it right, key is to be very hard on the brake pedal
I pushed down extremely hard but maybe there's a set pressure you have to put or a point when pushing down that the launch is activated. Will give it a try.
Old 05-02-2022, 01:42 PM   #14
DWR

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS 1LE
If your seatbelt isn’t on it wont work either… friend found that out…
2007 Toyota Corolla S -- Traded
2007 Colorado I-5 3.7L z85 2wd ext. cab --Totaled
2004 Silverado single cab 4.8l v-8 2wd -- Traded
2018 Camaro SS 1LE -- Current DD
DWR is offline   Reply With Quote