Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic modifications (exterior and interior)

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 04-14-2018, 07:05 AM   #1
MR-02

Drives: 2016 2SS M6
ZL1 Bumper Comparisons

So after researching posts and photos, here's what I gather....

I also think there may be some level of regret with buying the IKON one-seems to require surprise extra costs to make it fit right. I think we should set up a small fund to help member Robertavita, as he has gone out on a limb to provide so much info for us, but some ambiguous info in his posts makes me think there's problems with IKON fitment. Nonetheless, he should be thanked.

AMERICAN AUTHORITY MP CONCEPTS version:
*PROS: Perfect fit, Comes with install instructions too.
*CONS: Comments that it is too "pointy", and too angled. Also that it shows weird big hollow empty spot at the bottom through the grill.

IKON MOTORSPORTS Version:
*PROS: softer edges, looks more like the real thing, has extra piece to fill that big empty spot when looking down at it.
*CONS: every photo I've seen avoids showing that leading edge of the hood lining up properly, even their web site shows a black pin stripe not lining up. Past photo had a yellow car showing better fit, but someone commented it was b/c that one was a real ZL1????
Also, no instructions, that's a red flag, like its on you if it don't fit right. . ??

Can anyone share some wisdom on this list-lets help each other out? any experiences?
Attached Images

Old 04-14-2018, 07:58 AM   #2
MR-02

ZL1 Bumper new info..

Hey new theory on the IKON fitment issue here.....

I just went and took a good look at my SS hood, and I noticed at the center section, the leading edge is indeed raised about 1/4 inch to match the SS bumper) as a result of the raised creases in the SS hood design, ...the v6 does not have the same hood creases, I think its just flat at the center?

....so now Im wondering if the IKON bumper only has fit problems with a v6 hood? Maybe it was designed for the SS hood raised center crease?
...wish I could see it in person. Can anyone give info on this?
Old 04-14-2018, 11:14 PM   #3
Twoblindsheep
[COTW 1/6/14]

Drives: 2017 1LE
I am also interested in this since I'm currently looking at a ZL1 front end change. Been looking back and forth with both company
Twoblindsheep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 06:47 AM   #4
RobertAvitia
BYND GARAGE

Drives: 17' 1LT Turbo
Quote:
Originally Posted by MR-02 View Post

I just went and took a good look at my SS hood, and I noticed at the center section, the leading edge is indeed raised about 1/4 inch to match the SS bumper) as a result of the raised creases in the SS hood design, ...the v6 does not have the same hood creases, I think its just flat at the center?

....so now Im wondering if the IKON bumper only has fit problems with a v6 hood? Maybe it was designed for the SS hood raised center crease?
I HAVE NO FITMENT ISSUES ON MY CAR
RobertAvitia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 07:48 AM   #5
theCATALYST
@V3NOM.SS

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
So after researching posts and photos, here's what I gather....

I also think there may be some level of regret with buying the IKON one-seems to require surprise extra costs to make it fit right. I think we should set up a small fund to help member Robertavita, as he has gone out on a limb to provide so much info for us, but some ambiguous info in his posts makes me think there's problems with IKON fitment. Nonetheless, he should be thanked.

AMERICAN AUTHORITY MP CONCEPTS version:
*PROS: Perfect fit, Comes with install instructions too.
*CONS: Comments that it is too "pointy", and too angled. Also that it shows weird big hollow empty spot at the bottom through the grill.

IKON MOTORSPORTS Version:
*PROS: softer edges, looks more like the real thing, has extra piece to fill that big empty spot when looking down at it.
*CONS: every photo I've seen avoids showing that leading edge of the hood lining up properly, even their web site shows a black pin stripe not lining up. Past photo had a yellow car showing better fit, but someone commented it was b/c that one was a real ZL1????
Also, no instructions, that's a red flag, like its on you if it don't fit right. . ??

Can anyone share some wisdom on this list-lets help each other out? any experiences?
I can't really comment on the IKON bumper as I have not seen it in person, looks good in pictures from what I have seen.

I can however comment on the American Authority bumper and to the two issues you raised with it. Firstly, that piece that "fills the empty spot" is not a required piece, but due to the apparent demand for it, American Authority is rumored to be near completion of one for their bumper to be available soon for those actually interested in it. I have currently logged 17k miles on my Camaro since installing the AA bumper and have had 0 issues without it.

As for the looks of the American Authority bumper, namely looking pointier. There are reasons for this, as American Authority makes a bumper "inspired by" the ZL1 and not an exact replica. The most important reasoning is that American Authority is U.S. based, as there are rules (if I understand correctly) protecting GM patents and such. Where-as IKON being located oversees can more easily sidestep these rules/laws.

In the end, looks are just a personal opinion of ours "the customers" and how we want our cars to look. Some prefer the OEM look of the IKON, while others like the slight changes in the AA bumper. A majority prefer to leave theirs OEM. I just appreciate a car that has the aftermarket support that Camaro currently has, which provides us all with choices to mod how we see fit.
American Authority - ZL1 Conversion Front Bumper, ZL1 Hood, ZL1 Cannards, ZL1 Side Skirts, ZL1 inspired Hood, Rear Valance w/ Diffuser, darkened LED side markers, C7 Fender Vents, 1/4 Window Scoops, Fuel Lid, Tow Hook
Vertini 20x10.5/20x9.5 RF1.1 Gloss Black wheels
R1Concepts Geomet Drilled/Slotted Rotors, Ceramic Barke Pads
Mishimoto - Cold Air Intake (RED), Catch Can (RED)
BMR - Strut Tower Brace (RED)
GM Darkened Taillights, ZL1 1LE 3rd Brake Light[/SIZE]
theCATALYST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 08:45 AM   #6
Twoblindsheep
[COTW 1/6/14]

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertAvitia View Post
I HAVE NO FITMENT ISSUES ON MY CAR
Wasn't yours ZL1 1LE bumper? Not saying there are different bumpers but they could of used different molding for both bumper. I'm also interested in the zl1 bumper but I haven't heard anyone getting the ZL1 version from them. But I do like ikons version better because it looks more like a ZL1
Old 04-15-2018, 08:51 AM   #7
Twoblindsheep
[COTW 1/6/14]

Quote:
Originally Posted by theCATALYST View Post
I can't really comment on the IKON bumper as I have not seen it in person, looks good in pictures from what I have seen.

I can however comment on the American Authority bumper and to the two issues you raised with it. Firstly, that piece that "fills the empty spot" is not a required piece, but due to the apparent demand for it, American Authority is rumored to be near completion of one for their bumper to be available soon for those actually interested in it. I have currently logged 17k miles on my Camaro since installing the AA bumper and have had 0 issues without it.

As for the looks of the American Authority bumper, namely looking pointier. There are reasons for this, as American Authority makes a bumper "inspired by" the ZL1 and not an exact replica. The most important reasoning is that American Authority is U.S. based, as there are rules (if I understand correctly) protecting GM patents and such. Where-as IKON being located oversees can more easily sidestep these rules/laws.

In the end, looks are just a personal opinion of ours "the customers" and how we want our cars to look. Some prefer the OEM look of the IKON, while others like the slight changes in the AA bumper. A majority prefer to leave theirs OEM. I just appreciate a car that has the aftermarket support that Camaro currently has, which provides us all with choices to mod how we see fit.
Thank you for clearing up with AAs bumper.. I'm sure OP is in the same boat with me.. ive spend thousands on getting aftermarket bumpers to fit on my 5th gen.. I was some of first people to get the Rideskinz bumper on the 5th gen and that thing was a nightmare with lining up with everything. Then I had the Rideskinz V2 where they switched from fiberglass to polyurethane style and that thing was a nightmare also with hood lines and fenders line. I just don't wanna make that mistake again with these bumper.. sure I can go with OEM from GM.. but the cost comparison is just too big. I personally have not seen and AA bumper and Ikon in person that's why I'm so interested on the fitments. Also I'm super picky so if there was a gab or off hoodline it drives me crazy
Old 04-15-2018, 09:24 AM   #8
chris227

Drives: 2020 Camaro 2SS
Quote:

The v6 hood and the SS hood are identical except for the vents. Have done several swaps from one to the other. The hoods are the same.
chris227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 11:55 AM   #9
MR-02

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris227 View Post
The v6 hood and the SS hood are identical except for the vents. Have done several swaps from one to the other. The hoods are the same.
I see now...but I am convinced that an IKON photo showing the hood edge with fit as clean as the AA bumper(see attached photos copied from other AA threads) simply does not exist....

I don't have trustworthy access to body shop repair/friends etc, so I just need to know what is what before I order. IKON looks great, but I really think it is meant for a much higher level of DIY tinkering-and frustration.

Only thing stopping me from ordering AA is the issue with the weird bottom empty space, I'm not even sure may be all that bad. I know I cant be the only one thinking this.......

Can American Authority chime in on a fix for that?
Attached Images

Old 04-15-2018, 06:53 PM   #10
Dustya

Drives: Overkill Supercharged 2016 CamaroV6
I have the ikon motorsports zl1 non 1le bumper should be doing install this coming weekend.

Follow me on Instagram https://www.instagram.com/hyperhawkcamaro/
Youtube https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCHR...-ilSpV3gMQnTuA

Supercharged with Overkill Superchargers http://www.v6superchargers.com
Dustya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 08:29 PM   #11
Twoblindsheep
[COTW 1/6/14]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustya View Post
I have the ikon motorsports zl1 non 1le bumper should be doing install this coming weekend.
Please keep us updated on what fits perfectly and what needed some work. Also how long did it take for you to get the bumper
Old 04-15-2018, 09:30 PM   #12
01pewterz28
#TeamBeckyD

Drives: 2017 HBM 2SS Convertible A8

On the fence as well gonna choose one or the other unless I can land a sweet deal on the OEM I missed two weeks ago :(
Old 04-15-2018, 09:39 PM   #13
Arugon

Drives: Summit White Camaro SS
FYI AA Bumper is going for $799 now and there are constant 15% off coupon codes on top of that out there. That price along with perfect fitment would make me go with AA if I was purchasing this bumper conversion.
Old 04-15-2018, 10:15 PM   #14
Twoblindsheep
[COTW 1/6/14]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arugon View Post
FYI AA Bumper is going for $799 now and there are constant 15% off coupon codes on top of that out there. That price along with perfect fitment would make me go with AA if I was purchasing this bumper conversion.
The Ikon is also 799.99 and there is codes out there too but I understand where you're coming from.