Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > I4 Turbo LTG Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 04-20-2018, 12:24 AM   #1
autocross

Drives: 4Runner
Why did YOU pick the 2.0?

Hello all,
You might have encountered my thread on the general forum comparing engines. Of course, I was totally FLOODED with V8 supporters. Unfortunately, their opinions were not really justifiable other than the tremendous numbers. Nobody talks about weight or anything over there- so that is why i’m here!

Why did you all choose the 2.0 enfine instead of the V6? The price to get a V6 isn’t very much higher than the 2.0, and stock/stock it has a bit more HP. It also sounds pretty dang good too.

I come from a tuner crowd, so turbo lag is very loved in my upbringing. Tuning is also very common. Did you all choose the 2.0 to tune? For weight reduction? Fuel economy? I’m very eager to hear your responses!

I am on the fence about a 1LE V6 or a 1LE 2.0... Both would be financed, and both are well within my budget. This would be a commuter car used for Autocross! No track days, but a very technical autocross course. I’m sure the 1LE would make both of these handle incredibly, but I don’t know!!
autocross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 03:40 AM   #2
RobertAvitia
BYND GARAGE

Drives: 17' 1LT Turbo
BLANK CANVAS TO MAKE MY CAR "MY" CAR
RobertAvitia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 04:25 AM   #3
Evil-Bee-NH
603 Camaros

Drives: 2017 NGM I4 1LT Coupe
Think i remember that thread and bitching out a ton of V8 and a handful of ill-informed V6 guys. Personally what RobertAvitia said is why everyone buys their camaro for the most part. Myself i came from a 5th Gen V6 Camaro and just couldn't afford the 6th Gen V8 and didn't want a used 5th Gen V8. So now you beg the question what's the difference between the decision on a V6 vs. I4. It's quite simple are you looking to mod for more power or keeping it 90% stock. I'm not saying you can't mod the V6 but to reach what we can for 5k in parts you'll spend almost 11k in parts on a V6 and be at the end of what you can do while we could go further still. As far as handling goes the V6 1LE is a beast of a track car and does have the advantage over a none 1LE I4 but not by a huge margin and from all I've seen you could surpass the stock 1LE option for less money with aftermarket suspension upgrades and the new I4 1LE isn't the same as the other two 1LE versions by far it's missing so much no MRC option and a few other things so not worth whatever obscene number GM will place on it. At the end of the day the V6 will sound better then the I4 i mean we basically sound like farm tractors which is hilarious.

MY 2017 I4 CAMARO BUILD JOURNAL | YOUTUBE | INSTAGRAM | 316RWHP - 385 RWTQ HPTUNERS DYNO TUNE | 12.693s @ 105MPH 1/4 Mile
Evil-Bee-NH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 07:12 AM   #4
Tankman

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1LT 2.0 Turbo
$$$
Tankman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 10:02 AM   #5
cooper1965
Coopers Camaro

Drives: 18 Flex Fuel LTG
I posted a bit on your other thread, but I will add this. I could have bought any offering of the Camaro with the exception of the ZL1. Ive drove all 3 cars I4, V6, and V8 on multiple occasions, and still do. (I work at the dealer) At the end of a long personal debate with myself, it really came down to cost of ownership and overall performance capability. I drive 100 miles a day, and plan on running the car well past 100k miles. The V8 is awesome, fast, and everyone knows what you have. I ruled it out based on a couple factors. First, maintenance. 10qt oil changes, frequent expensive non rotatable tire changes, MPG, insurance, ect..Also, it may sound crazy, but its almost too much for the street to really open up through multiple gears. So no V8...The v6 sounds pretty good with NPP if you like the more exotic type sound. It does not have that BIG, throaty sound though some might lead on too. Notably more nimble than the V8, and decently quick . BUT, I knew in the long run, I would never be happy with a mid-to low 13 second car. Aftermarket upgrades are bleak at best, and the only real option to get into low 12's would be forced induction at 10k+-..May as well bought the V8 at that point, so the v6 was out in my book. That left the Turbo I4. Incredibly nimble with a near 50/50 weight distribution. Almost ALL of the nice FE3/FE4 suspension stuff is a direct swap for even more handling. Gas mileage is incredible for the amount of performance. It's forced induction from the factory, and makes it nice and easy to put big power to the wheels, for a minimal cost. AND, the community here is very knowledgeable, and very quick to help another I4 guy out when needed.

I know, kinda long post, but these are just some of the highlights from my thought process when making my decision. There really are a ton more reasons I chose the I4..

---My Build Thread---
-----My IG PAGe-----

Last edited by cooper1965; 04-20-2018 at 10:15 AM.
cooper1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 11:27 AM   #6
Start The Machine

Drives: 2016 M6 2.0T
I come from the import scene dateing back to the mid 90's. RX-7 's were my thing. I love small, lightweight turbo charged cars and the ability to mod them so easily. My choice was a no brainer. I also got a screaming deal on it.
RS Package, HD Cooling Package, Brembo 6 Piston Front Brakes, SRP Racing Pedals, Soler Performance Throttle Controller, Dyno Tuned by Trifecta, Velossa Tech Ram Air, Mishimoto Intake, aFe Air Filter, Mishimoto Charge Pipes, ZZP 67mm Throttle Body, Trifecta T40 Stage 2 Turbo, JacFab Recirculation Valve, PTP Turbo Blanket, ZZP Catted Downpipe, Mishimoto Pro Cat-Back Quad Tip Exhaust, Mishimoto Catch Cans, Mishimoto Coolant Reservoir Tank, GM SEMA Grill, Ikon Motorsports Front Fascia Extension, Ikon Motorsports 1LE Spoiler, American Authority ZL1 Side Skirts, AMPP Quad Tip Rear Valance
Start The Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 11:35 AM   #7
6th_gen_gino

Drives: 2016 camaro 2.0t gray
Honestly always wanted a turbo car, I seen the pre-release brochure of the 6th gens and thought it would be crazy to have a 4 banger Camaro. Growing up down south you see crazy fast 4 cylinder turbo cars and loved to see them take down v8s. Figured the LTG Camaro would be a great platform once the aftermarket grew
6th_gen_gino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 11:37 AM   #8
Idriveastickmaro

Drives: 2017 Black Camaro LS
I drove all three, I4, V6 and V8. At the time, I was driving just under 100 miles a day, in stop and go traffic. So as much as I wanted the V8, the power would have essentially been useless to me. The MPG part also played a HUGE factor. The V6 really just didnt appeal to me, since mods arent as great for it. I came from a 343HP 2015 WRX, and a Boosted 2013 FRS before that, so I am much more comfortable with turbos. After researching, building the I4 was the best option for me, as I can get to around 350HP for a fraction of the price. The dealer was also willing to give me a crazy deal since the car had never even been test driven (its a manual), which they did'nt want to budge much on the other models.
Idriveastickmaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 01:36 PM   #9
RedonBlackRS

Drives: 1LT RS 2.0T 8A HD
The V6 is only worth your time if you get NPP, so that's a total option cost of $2,395.
I figured that for $2,395, I could make a 2.0T MUCH faster than the V6/
Granted, in the real world, the V6 would cost less in fuel (AFM and only requiring 87 octane go a long way on the highway), it just made more sense to me.

Plus, the "that's a four-cylinder???" comments almost never get old.
RedonBlackRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 02:39 PM   #10
Evil-Bee-NH
603 Camaros

Drives: 2017 NGM I4 1LT Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedonBlackRS View Post
The V6 is only worth your time if you get NPP, so that's a total option cost of $2,395.
I figured that for $2,395, I could make a 2.0T MUCH faster than the V6/
Granted, in the real world, the V6 would cost less in fuel (AFM and only requiring 87 octane go a long way on the highway), it just made more sense to me.

Plus, the "that's a four-cylinder???" comments almost never get old.
NPP and 1LE are the only real advantages. Our 1LE version won't come with MRC included. So basically your paying a package fee for shit you can already order from the build & price and a wrap shop.

MY 2017 I4 CAMARO BUILD JOURNAL | YOUTUBE | INSTAGRAM | 316RWHP - 385 RWTQ HPTUNERS DYNO TUNE | 12.693s @ 105MPH 1/4 Mile
Evil-Bee-NH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 02:50 PM   #11
Camaro_QC

Drives: 08 Tiburon GS, 2018 Camaro 2.0T
I'm in the same debate as you... my budget and common sense leads me towards the I4 but my heart wants the sou d of the V6... and here in Québec, the price difference between 91 and 87 gas is like 0.20$ a liter. Considering I plan on making 20 000 km a year with the car (13k miles), it makes a difference of 300$ a year in gas... so the extra 1700$ for the V6 would get covered only after 6-7 years... so basically in term of gas price, they are the same.

Decisions decisions....
Camaro_QC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 03:10 PM   #12
cooper1965
Coopers Camaro

Drives: 18 Flex Fuel LTG
I imagine the 1LE box checked on the I4 will cost a grand total of somewhere around $4000 based on previous models. That's OFC after they make you buy the prerequisites. I personally could not justify that expense knowing what I know. 4K would add more suspension, and more power to the rear wheels than most people could fully utilize.
But, to put my statement into perspective: I also could not justify paying the $2000+ for the RS package. Although I did know I was going to rip out the grill, and run a blade spoiler before I bought.. There are soo many ways to approach these cars, it can start to make your head spin....lol

---My Build Thread---
-----My IG PAGe-----
cooper1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 03:15 PM   #13
Idriveastickmaro

Drives: 2017 Black Camaro LS
Quote:
Originally Posted by cooper1965 View Post
I imagine the 1LE box checked on the I4 will cost a grand total of somewhere around $4000 based on previous models. That's OFC after they make you buy the prerequisites. I personally could not justify that expense knowing what I know. 4K would add more suspension, and more power to the rear wheels than most people could fully utilize.
But, to put my statement into perspective: I also could not justify paying the $2000+ for the RS package. Although I did know I was going to rip out the grill, and run a blade spoiler before I bought.. There are soo many ways to approach these cars, it can start to make your head spin....lol
Same, I couldn't justify the RS package, but after seeing countless Camaros, I wish I had the RS headlights :(
Idriveastickmaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 06:33 PM   #14
b0bsaget007

Drives: 2016 2LT RS Blue Velvet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idriveastickmaro View Post
Same, I couldn't justify the RS package, but after seeing countless Camaros, I wish I had the RS headlights :(
I could justify the RS package. The car looks so plain and rather bland without the RS package. I love my good headlights, the LED taillights, the 20" split spoke wheels, and the front grille design. The only thing I don't love is run-flat tires, but they did come in handy once.

PC: i5-6600; RX 480 4GB; 16GB DDR4; Samsung 950 PRO 512GB SSD
Car: 2016 Camaro 2LT RS 2.0T 6M Blue Velvet Metallic | ZZP Hi-Flow Catted Downpipe | Injen EVO7300 Cold Air Intake
b0bsaget007 is offline   Reply With Quote