Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic modifications (exterior and interior)

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 04-18-2018, 01:28 PM   #1
fivewunoh

Drives: 18 NFG 1ss M6
Unhappy Zl1 seats in a 1ss

Hello Camaro 6! I just received some zl1 seats purchased from a member here for my 1ss and I need some advice. Passenger was installed and worked perfectly fine. I hooked up the drivers side and got nothing. No movement, no sound of motor cranking. Any ideas?
For anyone that has swapped zl1 seats into a 1ss, did you run into any issues with power for the drivers side of your car?
I followed lethal Camaros YouTube install to the T until I ran into this issue.
Looking back, one thing that I didn't try was to bolt down the seat as I was testing the functions for the driver side as the seat was slid all the way back and difficult to get to. Do the bolts that lock down the seats act as a ground? Does the zl1 driver seat use an incompatible module for the ss harness?
I'm super bummed this isn't working as I thought it was plug and play after watching lethal's video.
Thanks in advance for any help.
fivewunoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 02:35 PM   #2
Wolvie70

Drives: 2016 2SS, Summit White, A8, NPP
So your saying that the power everything worked on the passenger side, but on the drivers the none of the power works?

Certainly wouldn't hurt to bolt those seats sown and then see it they work then.

Also, Lethal Camaro has a 2SS, not sure that it makes a difference or not.
Wolvie70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 03:16 PM   #3
fivewunoh

That is correct. Nothing is responding power wise. I do understand that Lethal's seats were for a 2ss and that would be my biggest concern.

If the 2ss and the Zl1 require a completely different module that plugs into the car's harness, then that would be a problem.

The Chevy dealer has had my seat for a few days now, and if they cant diagnose an issue, then ill pick it up today and try to see if bolting down the seat helps give it power at all.

I didn't bolt down the passenger seat when testing to see if it worked so i assumed the result would be the same.
Old 04-18-2018, 03:25 PM   #4
locktyght

Drives: Summit White 2016 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by fivewunoh View Post
That is correct. Nothing is responding power wise. I do understand that Lethal's seats were for a 2ss and that would be my biggest concern.

If the 2ss and the Zl1 require a completely different module that plugs into the car's harness, then that would be a problem.

The Chevy dealer has had my seat for a few days now, and if they cant diagnose an issue, then ill pick it up today and try to see if bolting down the seat helps give it power at all.

I didn't bolt down the passenger seat when testing to see if it worked so i assumed the result would be the same.
Are you sure that the hinged clip/keeper is snapped all the way? If the contact aren't all the way in, it wont move. I had to disconnect and reconnect one of mine as well.
Old 04-18-2018, 07:15 PM   #5
Stocktastic

Drives: 2017 Hyper Blue SS 1LE
I have those seats since I have a 1LE and it's also a 1SS.
Stocktastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 11:10 PM   #6
fivewunoh

Quote:
Originally Posted by locktyght View Post
Are you sure that the hinged clip/keeper is snapped all the way? If the contact aren't all the way in, it wont move. I had to disconnect and reconnect one of mine as well.
Can you specify which clip that is?
Are you referring to the big yellow harness that connects the seat electricals to the car?
Old 04-18-2018, 11:24 PM   #7
locktyght

Drives: Summit White 2016 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by fivewunoh View Post
Can you specify which clip that is?
Are you referring to the big yellow harness that connects the seat electricals to the car?
Yes, and it has that huge clip that secures it, I didn't have it tight enough on the first go around
Old 04-19-2018, 07:33 AM   #8
1le32907

Drives: Summit white 1le ss
1le uses a different harness hence why no one can get the vented seats to work. Plus the zl1 has memory info for seats so it is a different harness
1le32907 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2018, 10:47 AM   #9
teesee150

Drives: Camaro
The seats only need power/ground hooked up and the power functions/seat controls will work on the side of the seat.

The rest of the wires are for memory/heated/cooling etc
teesee150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 08:43 PM   #10
WhiteNight

Drives: MB 1SS
Any updates?
WhiteNight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 09:22 AM   #11
FNxR3DNECK

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE
The problem here lies with the memory seat (drivers side only) function that the 2SS and ZL1 have. The seat module is different on the ZL1/2SS, I believe you can swap the module under the seat with the one from your stock seats and that should solve your problem.
Old 06-20-2018, 10:52 AM   #12
kropscamaro16

Drives: 2016 1ss camaro
probably a defective motor sorry man shit sucks
Old 06-21-2018, 03:49 PM   #13
Mountain

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE, 2016 1SS (previous)
The problem is the ZL1 Recaros being setup for memory seating and the 1SS not. With memory seating, between the seat buttons and the different drive motors, the memory seat module acts as a middle man. With non-memory seating, the seat buttons interact directly with the different motors.

With the wiring schematic, you can bypass the memory seat module and get everything to work. Or, you can just take what's on your 1SS seats and exchange it with whats on the ZL1 Recaros - everything should be bolt-up and plug in then.
Mountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 10:07 AM   #14
fivewunoh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountain View Post
The problem is the ZL1 Recaros being setup for memory seating and the 1SS not. With memory seating, between the seat buttons and the different drive motors, the memory seat module acts as a middle man. With non-memory seating, the seat buttons interact directly with the different motors.

With the wiring schematic, you can bypass the memory seat module and get everything to work. Or, you can just take what's on your 1SS seats and exchange it with whats on the ZL1 Recaros - everything should be bolt-up and plug in then.
Hit it right on the head. The wiring on the 1ss module is completely different than on a zl1/2ss. You would either have to buy a zl1 module or be very confident in switching wires around in there, which I am not. Lol

I went the route mountain touched on. Removed the seat covers and cushion from the 1ss and zl1 and swapped the frames. I could have swapped the wiring harnessess from each seat but didn't. Looked way more complicated.

Biggest difference between the 2 frames is that I lost out on that sexy zl1 torso bolstering from the frame. I'm not super heavy though so the bolstering from the zl1 Cushioning foam should be adequate for me on the street. Cool thing is that the thigh bolster on the zl1 is a removal metal bracket that I easily unbolted and and installed in my 1ss frame.

So if you do buy a zl1 seat for your 1ss just be ready to either replace your module or swap the seat cushion. Hope that helped.