Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 02-20-2015, 04:20 PM   #267
sonnydurden

Drives: ‘16 1SS & ‘19 1LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSound View Post
In my experience halogens in projectors will still give you a good cutoff for the light beam, but you still have poor performance to due the halogen. It does make putting HIDs in there much more effective and safer. I think I have heard there are still differences in the projector itself (halogen vs HID), maybe someone else can confirm that.

As far as the 6th gen not having HID option, I highly doubt that. The full size pickups, Corvette, Buicks, Cadillacs, and GMCs all get them as options. Can you think of a car/truck that GM gave an option for HIDs that doesn't have them now? The damn Corolla has HIDs now standard lol.
I agree. The Camaro not having HID's is going backwards
sonnydurden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 04:46 PM   #268
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Drives: 17 Cruze RS, 07 G6 GT, 99 Astro
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSound View Post
In my experience halogens in projectors will still give you a good cutoff for the light beam, but you still have poor performance to due the halogen. It does make putting HIDs in there much more effective and safer. I think I have heard there are still differences in the projector itself (halogen vs HID), maybe someone else can confirm that.

As far as the 6th gen not having HID option, I highly doubt that. The full size pickups, Corvette, Buicks, Cadillacs, and GMCs all get them as options. Can you think of a car/truck that GM gave an option for HIDs that doesn't have them now? The damn Corolla has HIDs now standard lol.
Yes, my Saturn Skys both had projectors with halogen bulbs. They had a very distinct cutoff line. They were still better than the Halogen lights on my current Camaro.
Old 02-20-2015, 05:24 PM   #269
SuperSound

Drives: '17 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2SSRS@Gen5diy View Post
Super Sound the new pickups do not have HID they have a project with halogens bulbs in them, i know I have many sets of headlights from them here, the pic I posted of the new 9012 bulb came out of the new GMC pickup headlight with the LED DRL.
You are right, I saw projectors as optional on them and assumed GM included HID setups. Looks like the Yukon, Arcadia, Tahoe, and Suburban do have it as an option. The Escalade has LED head lights.

If GM is switching to projectors in more cars/trucks now, then I think we can assume these are not RS option lights. Since like others mentioned I find it highly unlikely Chevy would have HID option on the 2015 Camaro, and not on the 2016. Halogen projectors standard with an optional ($) package RS package adding HID, now that sounds like something the bean counters would do.

"Voices in your head are not considered insider information."

3800 Status - 6/16/16 (Built!)
6000 status - 6/29/16 (Delivered!)
SuperSound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 09:17 PM   #270
Millertime555

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS M6
They've got to have Xenon/HID projector's on the 6th gen, similar to the 5th gen. If not, it would be a huge step backwards.
Millertime555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015, 12:26 AM   #271
newb

Drives: 2013 1LE
Correct me if I'm wrong but an HID headlight still has a "bulb" that plugs into the projector and without seeing it installed you cannot say it is not an HID housing. Without the entire car wiring harness to see if there is a ballast or not, it could be any type of bulb.

All factory HiDs are projectors. Not all projectors are HID.
It's a Dingledarm. It's there to dampen side fumbling. If your marzelvanes fumble too much they can cause total protonic reversal. It gets ugly from there. This is really the biggest problem with the new Camaro. That and the tri-pronged blivot.

Delivered 21 Jan 2013

newb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015, 12:34 PM   #272
CFTA

Drives: 2014 Camaro 2LS
Yes, its seems to be a socket for something similar to the older 9006 style bulbs.
But those were only low beam so the 9012 is very possible.
Attached Images

CFTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015, 01:16 PM   #273
2SSRS@Gen5diy

Drives: 2014 Z/28 #82+#192, 18ZLE 66Nova
Hi newb yes your right that HID plug in to the projector but I do have a set of this lights and as you can see in the pic above me that is not a HID one.
2SSRS@Gen5diy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015, 01:39 PM   #274
SuperSound

Drives: '17 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by CFTA View Post
Yes, its seems to be a socket for something similar to the older 9006 style bulbs.
But those were only low beam so the 9012 is very possible.
Does it appear to have the standard locking ring setup common to 9000 series bubls? Can't tell from the picture.

Also I can't find a picture of the RS lights without the bulb installed. I looked at the DIY video 2SSRS@Gen5diy did but can't tell. Since he has seen the light and familiar with the 5th gen setup too, I trust his word that it does not look like D1S bulb setup.

"Voices in your head are not considered insider information."

3800 Status - 6/16/16 (Built!)
6000 status - 6/29/16 (Delivered!)
SuperSound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015, 02:30 PM   #275
sonnydurden

Drives: ‘16 1SS & ‘19 1LT
For all we know these just may be test lights. Why provide a HID light for test mules? Remember the lights on the camo Camaro's in Nurburgring looked like a projector but no HID for sure. That may explain why these have no HID. I bet the final RS lights will
sonnydurden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015, 02:55 PM   #276
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonnydurden View Post
For all we know these just may be test lights. Why provide a HID light for test mules? Remember the lights on the camo Camaro's in Nurburgring looked like a projector but no HID for sure. That may explain why these have no HID. I bet the final RS lights will
Mules are other cars used to test chassis and powertrain. The red Gen 3 car would be a "mule".

Prototypes are representative of the actual vehicle on test.

Look at all the early comoed prototypes. None of the early one have the correct lamps in the early stages.

Remember the "these aren't the right headlamps" fiasco from the early Gen 5 spy shots?
Old 02-23-2015, 06:39 AM   #277
Denis

Drives: 2010 SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 3 View Post
Mules are other cars used to test chassis and powertrain. The red Gen 3 car would be a "mule".

Prototypes are representative of the actual vehicle on test.

Look at all the early comoed prototypes. None of the early one have the correct lamps in the early stages.

Remember the "these aren't the right headlamps" fiasco from the early Gen 5 spy shots?
Old 02-24-2015, 10:52 AM   #278
RobWH

Drives: Silverado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denis View Post
Too bad... those look cool.
RobWH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 12:26 PM   #279
RobWH

Drives: Silverado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro Lives On View Post
Hell the corolla has LED headlights standard across the whole model range. What I havent quite figured out, is of toyota can do that on its base model run of the mill communter car, why havent more manufactures done it? I'd love to see LED headlight on the camaro. I know it wont happen, but id still love to see it!
I was browsing again and this caught my attention again, plus the conversation seems over so ...

At some point w/i the next 5-7yrs, were I a betting man, I'd bet basically every new passenger vehicle sold in America will be equipped w/ HID or LED lights as standard equipment. The discussion reminds me of the hoopla behind HALOGEN in the 1980's once people realized how much brighter than standard they were. The buyer wanted them, but was later shocked at the double price for a replacement light(then bulb 1/6th the size of the light) and the funny thing was, those who had older vehicles would gladly pay that extra... but they didn't usually have a car payment over their head. Same thing today, but HID and LED is replacing the older technology.
RobWH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 03:36 PM   #280
Camaro Lives On
Force RECON

Drives: 2005 Saab 9-5 2.3T
Send a message via AIM to Camaro Lives On
You've got a good point. I wasn't around in the 80s though so I didn't get to see that debate happen, but It is a good example. It always seems to take a bit for everyone to embrace the new tech, but whenever it does get accepted, You never hear of the old tech again almost lol. But yea 5-7 years sounds about accurate. Thanks for your incite

Tags
2016 camaro, 2016 camaro forum, 2016 camaro forums, 2016 camaro spy, 2016 camaro spy photo, 2016 camaro spy photos, 2016 camaro spy pics, 2016 chevrolet camaro, 2016 chevy camaro, 2017 camaro, 2017 chevy camaro, 6 gen camaro, 6th gen camaro, 6th gen camaro forum, 6th gen camaro forums, 6th gen camaro info, 6th gen camaro news, 6th gen camaro rumors, 6th gen chevrolet camaro, 6th gen chevy camaro, 6th gen chevy camaro forum, 6th generation camaro, 6th generation camaro info, 6th generation camaro news, 6th generation camaro rumors, 6th generation chevy camaro, camaro 6th gen, camaro 6th generation