Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 07-08-2014, 01:35 PM   #15
ZMEnow

Drives: ZL1, 2013, tri-coat-red, manual
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthZL1 View Post
I realize I drive a car that essentially screams "PAY ATTENTION TO ME", but in the grand scheme of things, when I'm commuting to work, leave me alone.

I just wonder why every jackass with Daddy issues in a "tuned" import with a wing and a fart can muffler OR a tuned Diesel truck wants to run me when I'm just trying to get to work. Surprisingly for me, that is mostly who try to challenge. Mustangs, Challengers, Chargers, etc. so far have just left me alone. As well they should, as I don't give a damn about them, and I don't race on the street (you know, because it's a really stupid thing to do). Granted I do find time to enjoy the car the way it should be (as much as I can, I'm still breaking it in), BY MYSELF.

I didn't buy this car to prove how big my peter is (okay, maybe a little) to every Thomas, Richard and Harold who thinks they can run!

Ugh... rant over. Just had 4 of these types dicking with me on the way to work this morning.
Try owing a Vette, its worse yet..
ZMEnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 03:18 PM   #16
2012 ZL1#1658

Drives: 2012 Camaro ZL1 #1658
That doesn't happen to me much. I usually get the people that pull up next to me and ask me what I have under the hood and what hp. People just mirin.
3M Paint Protection

2011 1SS/RS (BLACK on BLACK) <SOLD>
2012 ZL1#1658 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 03:57 PM   #17
LILRED85

Drives: 1985 C4 Corvette
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZMEnow View Post

Yes it is..even though mine is a classic..LOL
LILRED85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 04:09 PM   #18
CanadianZL1#992
ANGRY Z

Drives: 2015 Camaro ZL1
My favorite is the guys in the diesels that think it's funny to box me in traffic then stomp on it and smoke me out. Lots of rig rockets around where I live
CanadianZL1#992 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 04:13 PM   #19
GB73ZL1

Drives: 2014 ZL1, Ashen Grey, 6M
Ever deal with "squeegee kids"....
From happy to blood boiling in .5 seconds!
Old 07-08-2014, 05:39 PM   #20
97ChameleonTA

Drives: 2013 ZL1 Convertible
Funny, I always have the posers wanting to race, never anything worthwhile (not that I would on the street anyways).

Of interest though, on my way home from work this evening I happened to look in my rearview while at a stoplight and there was some guy taking video or pictures of my car with his smart phone. I wasn't sure whether to be amused or concerned as I know that car thieves can get your address from your tag if they have a connection in the DMV. Made a mental note of what he was driving and went on my merry way.

New times to come with E85

2016 2SS Auto - Hyper Blue Metallic
Roto-Fab CAI
97ChameleonTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 05:52 PM   #21
boondocksaint
Cartoon Maus

Drives: White ZL1, Chevroyota Prizolla
I got revved on by a Shelby my first night owning the car. On a long trip between Charlotte and Atlanta, I fueled up and entered the practically empty Interstate followed by two guys in a big Cummins Diesel Ram. They apparently wanted to run on the interstate. I dropped into fourth and zoomed up to 85 real fast just to see if they would go away. I heard the turbo(s) in the truck spool and then heard it/them grenade. Big gout of fire under the hood followed by hazard lights and coasting to a stop.

I almost wanted to stop and render assistance.

Almost.

If you're looking to shakedown a turbo install/upgrade/whatever, and you decide that an interstate run is the way to do it, you need the walk to think about your decision-making process.

You will get this kind of behavior until someone near you in the next big thing comes along. A Z/28, Z06, Hellcat, whatever gets bought and they'll all be lurking around it hoping for a miracle.

As an aside, be wary of the unassuming/craptacular cars. When I was in Detroit, there were some real sh*tboxes running legit drag times that could destroy premium cars on a whim. I'm looking at YOU 4g63-swapped 80s Plymouth Voyager with sleep slicks on the front.

Be careful out there. The ZL1's legs should be stretched on a road course. Regularly, if possible.
boondocksaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 05:53 PM   #22
2012-1822

Drives: Black ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by URBAN LEGEND View Post
Mental toughness works wonders. Ignore them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97ChameleonTA View Post
Funny, I always have the posers wanting to race, never anything worthwhile (not that I would on the street anyways).
Pretty much this too.
Old 07-08-2014, 06:49 PM   #23
Sapper12b
HTCC Member

Drives: 2013 Camaro SS
Quote:
I realize I drive a car that essentially screams "PAY ATTENTION TO ME", but in the grand scheme of things, when I'm commuting to work, leave me alone.

I just wonder why every jackass with Daddy issues in a "tuned" import with a wing and a fart can muffler OR a tuned Diesel truck wants to run me when I'm just trying to get to work. Surprisingly for me, that is mostly who try to challenge. Mustangs, Challengers, Chargers, etc. so far have just left me alone. As well they should, as I don't give a damn about them, and I don't race on the street (you know, because it's a really stupid thing to do). Granted I do find time to enjoy the car the way it should be (as much as I can, I'm still breaking it in), BY MYSELF.

I didn't buy this car to prove how big my peter is (okay, maybe a little) to every Thomas, Richard and Harold who thinks they can run!

Ugh... rant over. Just had 4 of these types dicking with me on the way to work this morning.

I've had very similar problems, diesel trucks and dropped/slammed trucks want to test me all the time. Every so often I'll get a mustang and more than usual a Honda Civic/Accord will want to race me when I'm on my way home from work.
Old 07-08-2014, 07:15 PM   #24
URBAN LEGEND

Drives: 20 X3M CP & 19 ZL1 1LE A10
Quote:
Thanks all...

This isn't the first "hot" car I've owned. As an adult, I've owned (all new) a 1996 Impala SS, 2002 Subaru WRX (first in Fairfax, VA), 2005 Dodge Magnum R/T, 2007 Dodge Charger SRT8. But the ZL1 BY FAR has drawn the most attention (obviously). And I've only had it a month!!

I'm really not super upset about it... just this morning they were EVERYWHERE.
IMO: None of those were hot cars...
Old 07-08-2014, 07:34 PM   #25
cdjnight

Drives: 2013 ZL1 A6
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZMEnow View Post
My last car was a 2012 Yellow C6, I have to say my Z get's a lot less attention to street racers.
Old 07-08-2014, 09:05 PM   #26
DarthZL1

Drives: 2014 ZL1 M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by URBAN LEGEND View Post
IMO: None of those were hot cars...
Thank God I don't care what you think.
--- DarthZL1 - 2014 ZL1 #2095 M6 Black. Bone Stock ---
--- BigNLo - 1996 Impala SS Hot Rod Black. Lots of mods ---
DarthZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 10:31 PM   #27
BigBoyBlue
Go NY Giants & NY Rangers

Drives: 2013 ZL1 M6
Quote:

I find that having a black ZL1 makes it more of a sleeper. I don't get that much attention at all. I think the average driver thinks it's just a Camaro. I got more in my BMW M3's. As far as racing me, I find that guys with muscle cars and sports cars are more apt to leave me alone. They are usually car enthusiasts and know what a ZL1 is. Idiots in Civics are the ones that try to stick to my tail and race me.
Old 07-09-2014, 12:19 AM   #28
Shakeandbake

Drives: 2014 Black ZL1
Los Angeles sucks for this so I feel your pain. Every M3 with some rich teen behind the wheel thinks he's Dom from Fast and the Furious. Every once in a while you get the rad dude who just wants to do some spirited driving not he freeway with mutual respect. But for the most part its a bunch of morons that "live life a quarter mile at a time" sigh.
Like posted above 5-10% tint works wonders.

Weird thing is that I've never had another 1LE or SS try and race. Its almost like they know better. And I've never seen another ZL1 in LA.
Shakeandbake is offline   Reply With Quote