Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

Bigwormgraphix

Old 01-17-2018, 08:20 AM   #29
PolynesianPowerhouse
Big Samoan ina little car

Drives: 2016 camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryephile View Post
$3700 for a pair of front struts that aren't even inverted style? And no-name springs to go with them, and a really flimsy looking drop-link tab. I'm with ninetres on this, these look like show-car parts and not something I'd see at the track.

The 15 years I've been tracking, I've never heard of this brand on any track car. Looking at their website, they appear to cater to the resto-mod muscle crowd.

Given they're not in Detroit, or even Michigan, I'm also a bit annoyed at their name.
https://www.millerwelds.com/resource...-success-story

they started in Detroit back in 1997 in their 2 car home garage, then later moved to a 3,000 sq foot space. later moved to NC to a 10,000 foot space, which is prob more economical given the new location...

also a former GM proving ground engineer for the corvette program 1993-2000. not bad for starting a business with 1,000$ in the bank account.

as posted above, if you came from a 5th gen, these have def been a main staple of the Camaro platform for a while now.

When I see posts asking "whats the best intake, exhaust, etc" .... the answer to that is like a grandfather telling his grandkids "if you put salt on a birds tail, it'll let you catch it" #ThinkAboutIt

"Winning Tip: Don't take my (or anyone else's) word for it. GO TEST IT!" - Dennis Grant
PolynesianPowerhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 01:24 PM   #30
Deakins

Drives: 2017 2ss, m6
They may have been big with the 5th gen...But I see no reason for the inflated pricing on these. And for the record...they are not a tricked out high end race piece with extremely exotic materials and engineering...
Deakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 02:22 PM   #31
PolynesianPowerhouse

Or this...

If its not for you... dont buy em.

Cant make it anymore simple.

Reality be told, the people that want/need these... will buy em. If the double adjustables are too pricey for you, stick with the single adjustables which are significantly less. 2995$ for front/1895$ for rears...total 4800-4900$....roughly the price of the dssv kit. In which you give up the spool valave tech, but gain more manual adjustability. Once again this is a preference.

If its still too expensive, this is no different than the pricing on the dssv kit... and the same as the dssv kit its not for everyone. And most things above 2-3 grand is going to be an investment on your car.

One can get 6 piston brembos for 2-3 grand via takeoffs or the gm kit for the 6th gen. But brembo make a GTR level kit which is nearly 9 THOUSAND DOLLARS
http://www.phastekperformance.com/Br...-1n.9057ar.htm 9-F'n-Grand! Mind blower to most... out of reach for most. But there are some options with it, some may appreciate. They also sell 4 thousand and 6 thousand dollar kits...and thats JUST the front.

Not many people, on this forum especially, will ever see the need or drive hard enough to use all of the technology in this kit. Thays a given.

So do you post and whine about its too expensive, its not made of exotics, etc... brembo priced it out of MY league (they built it for a reason, even if you personally arent the target audience)

No.

You simply buy what you need and move on. And in the end, be happy.

As said theres something out there for everyone. And if youre not saavy on a companies track record, customer service, etc, why try and be petty about their products?

Theres always gonna be cheaper options. Theres always gonna be options that fit YOU better than others. Thays why there more than one company that produces the same general product at different levels for different needs.

Just basic common sense really...

When I see posts asking "whats the best intake, exhaust, etc" .... the answer to that is like a grandfather telling his grandkids "if you put salt on a birds tail, it'll let you catch it" #ThinkAboutIt

"Winning Tip: Don't take my (or anyone else's) word for it. GO TEST IT!" - Dennis Grant

Last edited by PolynesianPowerhouse; 01-17-2018 at 02:41 PM.
Old 01-17-2018, 03:38 PM   #32
ninetres

Drives: Crush ZLE M6 | 2000 Corvette FRC
Why would someone go with single adjustables from this brand when they can get Penske double adjustables for approximately the same price? I doubt anyone isn’t aware of Penskes widespread use and track record in all levels of racing.

Help me understand why these are worth sacrificing double adjustment capability for, or spending way more for a double adjustable set. Are they that much better? Why? Thanks.
ninetres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 05:09 PM   #33
PolynesianPowerhouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninetres View Post
Why would someone go with single adjustables from this brand when they can get Penske double adjustables for approximately the same price? I doubt anyone isn’t aware of Penskes widespread use and track record in all levels of racing.

Help me understand why these are worth sacrificing double adjustment capability for, or spending way more for a double adjustable set. Are they that much better? Why? Thanks.
Then by all means.... go with penske...

Any seasoned racer shoukd know "better" is a relative term. Doesnt matter if its tires, suspension, cams, etc... whats better for me, may not be better for you. VS the DSSV, the ability to adjust would be MY PERSONAL better as I could learn more in the process. however, the DSSV preference I have is OEM and prob will be as much as I will ever need, personally... I know my own limitations and am honest with em

No one is holding a gun to anyones head saying you must buy these, right? so we all DO have options.

If penske does in fact make parts for our 6th gen, please post em up. the more options the better, right? Im sure there are others that may be interested in em. I havent seen anyone post any penske setup for the 6th gen. I know the 5th gen had a few custom sets made, i believe through moreno motorsports. I know they had a project car they had shocks and struts made for it, and extended it to the forum.

Also, another "tidbit" from what i remember in a post in this forum, JusticePete wrote that alot of companies are probably hanging back a bit and finding out what the dssv will offer before finalizing their own setups. Which makes sense in many ways.Now since the dssv's are out,all of a sudden, other companies are releasing stuff.

Kw has a set of v3 doubke adjustables for 2499$ on avg if ya shop around. Another option. KW is good for most/many.

Most are aware of penske... but i doubt many here are aware that they sell a kit for the 6th gen. So if you have the info please feel free to post it. Just saw the kit for the evo x... 7700-10,000$ for a single kit.https://www.penskeshocks.com/product...o-x-2008-2015/

Just found the CAMARO stuff. https://www.penskeshocks.com/product...-shock-struts/
7160$-11,170$ and when you click on application it only is for 10-14 camaros... as i said. I already knew about it was available for the 5th gen. Ive yet to see a 6th gen apllication. Although i havent looked really either. Dont have a need, and they are driving distance close to me...

The front DSE coilovers cost 3699$ and the rears are 2675$ so thats a total of 6375$ for double adjustables. Roughly 4800$ for the single adjustables.

NOW, If you go off the price on the penske site, which is for an older gen car so you know the newer gen PROB is gonna be more pricey, DSE would still cheaper by 800$. And thats for double adjustable of either.

As for why you should pass on a double adjustable for a single... that's totally preference, but if the price of one, isn't for you, and you want DSE, but will complain about the current price for double adjustable... then that's the "in plain sight" reason.

If you can get something that YOU deem better for less...then why wouldnt you just get that instead of this and not gripe about the price.... hence what i just posted above...SIMPLY DONT BUY THEM IF THEYRE NOT FOR YOU... no one needs a bag of hammers to nail that concept.

The original poster, posted that he got these through JDP... who recommended them to him as jordan has been developing these over the last year or so on his car during the optima ultimate street car search series.... so as logc would have it... jdp motorsports has experience with these...
If the original poster is taking his car to jdp motorsports for work and installs, then i think its safe to say, hes gonna go with what they have experience in...which is this setup which they helped develop.

If you truly want to know about em, in all honesty, i would give JDP Motorsports a ring up, and get any and all questions answered. They have far more info than most anyone here can give you on the setup. You may find they are more than you realize, or they might not meet your expectations. Theres also a chance if penske doesnt make anything, which it doesnt seem to from their website, these may be the top option north of the dssv setup.

801 545 4215 is their number.

Old 01-17-2018, 05:42 PM   #34
ninetres

I bought a set of custom built Penskes for ~$5500 about 2 year ago. They are for my C5, but a custom set for a 6th gen shouldn’t be to vastly different cost wise. To be fair I didn’t call them to check.

I just have never heard of this brand, and didn’t understand why they seem to cost more than most of the brands I see on FAST dedicated race cars.

Sounds like they are nice pieces, and if the shop the OP is using is very familiar with them I can understand the choice. Makes sense.
Old 01-17-2018, 06:18 PM   #35
BradfordCamaro
SABIO

Drives: 2016 CAMARO 1SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1LE801 View Post
Hey Camaro6! Lohla got a whole new set-up this week at JDP Motorsports. I'm happy to report the new stance looks aggressive and the Anderson Composites trunk compliments the hood nicely.

Follow the build on YouTube if you'd be so kind. Thanks for the support Camaro6!

Jared
Any pictures of the car?

BradfordCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 07:39 PM   #36
PolynesianPowerhouse

Quote:
I bought a set of custom built Penskes for ~$5500 about 2 year ago. They are for my C5, but a custom set for a 6th gen shouldn’t be to vastly different cost wise. To be fair I didn’t call them to check.

I just have never heard of this brand, and didn’t understand why they seem to cost more than most of the brands I see on FAST dedicated race cars.

Sounds like they are nice pieces, and if the shop the OP is using is very familiar with them I can understand the choice. Makes sense.
I'll call tomorrow if interested. I'll be outside doing condition reports on cars in the snow, so i'll have my BT headphones. phone calls aren't an issue.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=382055 this was when Moreno got the ball rolling for the 5th gen. I know I had an email, but for the life of my messages saved, I cant find the price. it was only for 5 people. i'm guessing part of the pricing for the custom set was introductory of doing the R&D required for fitment. i.e. if you buy X sets at this lower price VS doing a 1-OFF fitment for a car, which is usually higher in price.

as for FAST dedicated race cars...

just some snippets for JRi shocks that Detroit Speed utilizes...

- JRi wins 1st Daytona 500 with Jamie McMurray in 2010. pretty fast to win that race i'd say.

- Pro Touring Entrance
March 21, 2012
JRi forms alliance with world renowned car builder, Detroit Speed on suspensions

- Making Moves
June 24, 2013
JRi relocates to a 70,000 sq ft headquarters on 5.5 acres in Mooresville, NC formerly home to Penske Racing and Red Bull Racing. Employee count reaches 100

- The Hoonicorn rides on JRi’s
November 5, 2014

Ken Blocks Gymkhana 7 Mustang rides on JRi Shocks

-Daytona 200 Pole Position
March 11, 2016

Geoff May wins the 75th Daytona 200 Pole on JRi Shocks.

LOLMD Series Champion
December 12, 2015

Jonathan Davenport wins the 2015 Lucas Oil Late Model Dirt Series Championship and a Total of 28 races throughout the year on JRi Shocks.

just a few that caught my attention here: https://www.jrishocks.com/history/

in honesty though, I think most that are coming from other platforms who haven't heard of Detroit Speed, is just that... you are well versed in other platforms. like I'm sure I would be the same if you were to start calling off companies that deal with the C5 corvette... I mean I know Pratt & Miller, and Calloway... but outside of that, there's probably many you'd be going to the 11th floor and dropping me off at the 5th.

but so we get back on topic, i'll ring Penske tomorrow. if theres anything, i'll post a new thread, if not, i'll pm ya.

Old 01-17-2018, 11:51 PM   #37
1LE801
"Lohla"

Drives: 2016 1SS A8 :"Lohla"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryephile View Post
$3700 for a pair of front struts that aren't even inverted style? And no-name springs to go with them, and a really flimsy looking drop-link tab. I'm with ninetres on this, these look like show-car parts and not something I'd see at the track.

The 15 years I've been tracking, I've never heard of this brand on any track car. Looking at their website, they appear to cater to the resto-mod muscle crowd.

Given they're not in Detroit, or even Michigan, I'm also a bit annoyed at their name.
Don't buy them then. But don't act like they aren't good because you've been living under a rock. Look up the fastest road course camaros in the country. They run JRI/DSE stuff.
Old 01-17-2018, 11:52 PM   #38
1LE801
"Lohla"

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolynesianPowerhouse View Post
I'll call tomorrow if interested. I'll be outside doing condition reports on cars in the snow, so i'll have my BT headphones. phone calls aren't an issue.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=382055 this was when Moreno got the ball rolling for the 5th gen. I know I had an email, but for the life of my messages saved, I cant find the price. it was only for 5 people. i'm guessing part of the pricing for the custom set was introductory of doing the R&D required for fitment. i.e. if you buy X sets at this lower price VS doing a 1-OFF fitment for a car, which is usually higher in price.

as for FAST dedicated race cars...

just some snippets for JRi shocks that Detroit Speed utilizes...

- JRi wins 1st Daytona 500 with Jamie McMurray in 2010. pretty fast to win that race i'd say.

- Pro Touring Entrance
March 21, 2012
JRi forms alliance with world renowned car builder, Detroit Speed on suspensions

- Making Moves
June 24, 2013
JRi relocates to a 70,000 sq ft headquarters on 5.5 acres in Mooresville, NC formerly home to Penske Racing and Red Bull Racing. Employee count reaches 100

- The Hoonicorn rides on JRi’s
November 5, 2014

Ken Blocks Gymkhana 7 Mustang rides on JRi Shocks

-Daytona 200 Pole Position
March 11, 2016

Geoff May wins the 75th Daytona 200 Pole on JRi Shocks.

LOLMD Series Champion
December 12, 2015

Jonathan Davenport wins the 2015 Lucas Oil Late Model Dirt Series Championship and a Total of 28 races throughout the year on JRi Shocks.

just a few that caught my attention here: https://www.jrishocks.com/history/

in honesty though, I think most that are coming from other platforms who haven't heard of Detroit Speed, is just that... you are well versed in other platforms. like I'm sure I would be the same if you were to start calling off companies that deal with the C5 corvette... I mean I know Pratt & Miller, and Calloway... but outside of that, there's probably many you'd be going to the 11th floor and dropping me off at the 5th.

but so we get back on topic, i'll ring Penske tomorrow. if theres anything, i'll post a new thread, if not, i'll pm ya.
Nicely done!
Old 01-18-2018, 01:10 AM   #39
ninetres

Sick. I mentioned once or twice I am just one hobbiest racer, nobody special. Brand looks legit. I have owned 3 Camaros now spanning the last 12 or so years. One C5 that I’ve owned for the last 3 years. Always room to learn!
Old 01-18-2018, 11:54 AM   #40
1LE801
"Lohla"

Quote:
Sick. I mentioned once or twice I am just one hobbiest racer, nobody special. Brand looks legit. I have owned 3 Camaros now spanning the last 12 or so years. One C5 that I’ve owned for the last 3 years. Always room to learn!
Like anything else, i'm confident there are other good brands out there that may even be a little less. I have been around a number of cars up close and personal that run this stuff and I have been super impressed with the product. I don't think they are the best, period. I think that I think they are the best though and thats all I need.

Ive owned an 90 IROC, 98 Z28, 14 1LE and now my 16 SS. This car is the first time I've gone anywhere near this level of modification. I myself have LOTS to learn so I hope I didn't come across like an expert because though I try, I am far from it.

If you want to watch my learning process progress as well as the cars level of badassery, you can follow the build HERE

Jared
RedRacer Video
Old 01-18-2018, 04:08 PM   #41
PolynesianPowerhouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1LE801 View Post
Nicely done!
appreciated! waiting to hear more about em! a bit down the line, I wouldn't mind the addition as well. especially if I don't get the DSSV's stuff.

Quote:
Notta prob! that's all I am, I compete in a lot of things (sports, racing, building, etc.) , but nothing that anyone else couldn't do if they wanted.i do LOVE learning, and experimenting with stuff and seeing how things work

So here's what I learned today... for Penske...yes and no. there's a team/group called Phoenix performance out of FL I believe. they have the lone set so far. however they are still doing testing and feedback. still fine tuning it according to Penske. Andrew Aquilante is the driver I believe. http://phoenixperformance-news.com/?page_id=71

the price will be in the same ball park. and if anyone checks the link.... if you click on dual bleed, which I believe is the double adjustable, choose street use, and 10-14 Camaro (since the pricing will be similar). price is as is, due to, and I quote, "not much demand".... most in the GT series and other customers are still running the 5th gens.

lets face it, as said about the brakes, suspension, and many other things... the majority buying these, know they can utilize them and have a reason. be it Penske, DSE, or otherwise. most however that get coilovers, just want a LOW riding car and understand cutting springs is bush-league. they're not worried about bump and rebound bleed off that occur over the first 1/3 of the stroke that ramps up over the following 2/3rds.... they just wanna be low and not bounce. those are usually your entry to mid 2000$ coilovers.

so double adjustable from Penske are at 8690$ I stuffed it up above writing
Quote:
Originally Posted by Me
DSE would still cheaper by 800$. And thats for double adjustable of either.
Sothe correction is... 8690$ for Penske doubles minus 6375$ for DSE double adjustable, difference of 2315$

single adjustable are the 7160$ price tag. so that would be paying 800$ more than the DSE doubles for Penske singles....I've added 2 screen shots...

with that being said....

The Detroit Speeds are a hell of a choice for 2 main and critical reasons in my view.

1) the parts they use, via JRi shocks, are proven. Even on a 5th and 6th gen Camaro level AAAAALLLLLL the way up to NASCAR, and various other motorsports. they even have a patent on a knee brace that has a damper for humans.

2) You can get em through JDP motorsports, which happens to be a vendor here. and they race year round in the optima series. their customer service is beyond bad ass, and if you need to trouble shoot/tune something with em...its someone ACTIVE on THESE forums...

maybe its just me, but those kinda things can add up for some.

However, you cant go wrong really with either. its like pepsi or coke, CTSV or ZL1...
Attached Images

Old 01-18-2018, 04:14 PM   #42
Ryephile
Hot Dog

Drives: '17 1SS 1LE
I'm still not seeing any spring rate or valving information. What tires are they tuned for?