Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Phastek Performance

Old 11-22-2015, 01:01 PM   #43
Whis

Drives: 2016 2SS Hyper Blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by KMPrenger View Post
The one thing that would put this argument on price to bed, but will likely never happen, would be some kind direct head to head between an SS and a base GT350. 37K too much for the base SS? Well how does it compare on and off the track to a base GT350. What if the SS is within spitting distance of the GT350 in the 0 - 60, 1/4 mile, and on a track comparison? Then what? Lots of people think comparing an SS to a GT350 on the track is laughable, but I beg to differ. GT350, as sweet as it is...is not the GT350R.

Is the SS overpriced if its performance is closer to a GT350 than that of a base GT?

Yeah, we've seen the 0 - 60, and 1/4, and a few other measured specs on the two, but we may never get a true comparison.

On the other hand, for those that just want the cheapest V8 pony car around...its Mustang GT all day currently. Comparing the deals you can find on a Mustang to that of MSRP on a Camaro is totally unfair, but even at MSRP vs. MSRP, the Mustang has the win on cheapest V8 power.
I was actually going to get one(a GT), knowing all of the differences ETC, but I still see a lot of QC issues posted about on M6G that are pretty frightening and apparently they are not fixed in the 2016 models either.
Whis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2015, 01:17 PM   #44
raptor5244

Drives: 2022 CT4-V Blackwing
[QUOTE=KMPrenger;8750151]The one thing that would put this argument on price to bed, but will likely never happen, would be some kind direct head to head between an SS and a base GT350. 37K too much for the base SS? Well how does it compare on and off the track to a base GT350. What if the SS is within spitting distance of the GT350 in the 0 - 60, 1/4 mile, and on a track comparison? Then what? Lots of people think comparing an SS to a GT350 on the track is laughable, but I beg to differ. GT350, as sweet as it is...is not the GT350R.

Is the SS overpriced if its performance is closer to a GT350 than that of a base GT?

Yeah, we've seen the 0 - 60, and 1/4, and a few other measured specs on the two, but we may never get a true comparison.

On the other hand, for those that just want the cheapest V8 pony car around...its Mustang GT all day currently. Comparing the deals you can find on a Mustang to that of MSRP on a Camaro is totally unfair, but even at MSRP vs. MSRP, the Mustang has the win on cheapest V8 power.[/QUOTE

From a price for performance perspective the SS will lead the pack for sure. However, comparing a standard SS to a Gt350 is about more than just the performance numbers. The GT350 is more of a special edition model, which should hold its value better than a standard Camaro. Kind of like the ZL1 or Z28. I think we are at a point where all of these cars are too powerful for the typical street driving we mostly do. I mean if the Camaro Gen 7 goes 0-60 in 3.5 sec will it really matter? That is the where lower V8 entry cost of the the mustang will attract more buyers. I mean 0-60 in 4.0 in a Camaro or 4.3 in a Mustang, is that really why you would pick one of the other. It will be important to differentiate with increased refinement, technology like MRC, 8 speed auto, rev matching, improved fuel economy, etc. that will cause buyers to cough up more money each year.
raptor5244 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2015, 01:18 PM   #45
GMGP5X

Drives: 2011 2LT RS VR 2008 Silverado 2500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChefBorOzzy View Post
That's fine. I'm saying anyone going for the Mustang v8 should equip it with PP if they will do any aggressive driving. The upgrades are worth it. GT PP to a SS is a 1500 dollar difference. Whoopty doo.
Ok. I see what your where saying now!
2LT RS VR / ARK DTS Cat back exhaust / Roto-Fab CAI / RPI stealth mud guards /Defender works billet chrome door sills/ DIY painted engine cover, trunk corners, and brake rotors / RX catch can / Team LLT badges. Team LLT
GMGP5X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2015, 01:38 PM   #46
Whis

Drives: 2016 2SS Hyper Blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by raptor5244 View Post
From a price for performance perspective the SS will lead the pack for sure. However, comparing a standard SS to a Gt350 is about more than just the performance numbers. The GT350 is more of a special edition model, which should hold its value better than a standard Camaro. Kind of like the ZL1 or Z28. I think we are at a point where all of these cars are too powerful for the typical street driving we mostly do. I mean if the Camaro Gen 7 goes 0-60 in 3.5 sec will it really matter? That is the where lower V8 entry cost of the the mustang will attract more buyers. I mean 0-60 in 4.0 in a Camaro or 4.3 in a Mustang, is that really why you would pick one of the other. It will be important to differentiate with increased refinement, technology like MRC, 8 speed auto, rev matching, improved fuel economy, etc. that will cause buyers to cough up more money each year.

To me, the interior and tech in the 2SS is better than that of GT Premium. It's odd because most people think the opposite and I am not sure why.
Whis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2015, 01:50 PM   #47
VF-22

Drives: 4 Wheels
The comparisons have to be MSRP to MSRP.

Secondly any comparison of the GT Base/GT premium to the 1SS/2SS needs to have the PP to be equivalent.

I'll say this again, where Chevy made a mistake was not offering a non-performance/track V8 SS without all the following performance features (summer tires, staggered tires, additional cooling (unless that's needed for the LT1), Brembos, RAR, performance suspension, etc).

They should have just offered a 1LT/2LT with a V8 and called it the RS trim. This would include all the LT mechanicals along with the RS package. Would have all seasons, standard tire set up, sport suspension, standard brakes, LT RAR, normal cooling, etc.

Then you have your touring V8 at about $3500 cheap MSRP then the 1SS/2SS. Then you have a Camaro against all the GT models.

Should have been

1LT/2LT (4/V6/LT package)
1RS/2RS (V8/RS package)
1SS/2SS (V8/SS package)
VF-22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2015, 01:52 PM   #48
VF-22

Drives: 4 Wheels
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whis View Post
To me, the interior and tech in the 2SS is better than that of GT Premium. It's odd because most people think the opposite and I am not sure why.
I agree. The GT premium is nice but the Camaro looks nicer with the HUD, better display in the center and graphics and the dash/gauges look better. I do think the drivers side dash cluster needs to be lowered an inch.

Ford needs to put their F-150 high end cluster in the GT premiums. Also Sync 3 just looks really bad in terms of its interface.

http://www.tfltruck.com/wp-content/u...n_off-road.jpg
VF-22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2015, 01:59 PM   #49
Ava

Drives: 2016 Summit White Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whis View Post
This is highly subjective, but I think the Camaro has the better interior. The only thing I really don't like about the new interior is the fact that they didn't remove those rabbit ears on the dash (common complaint) as I'm only 5'5, and while it doesn't really obstruct my vision of the road, I do notice it from time to time. I love the Camaro's low center air vent placement over the Mustang's higher positioning. The quality of the materials, new technology features, and placement of cup-holders is excellent in the Camaro. Ford was going for a retro/classic look with toggle switches and brushed aluminum pieces in the interior of the Stang, but it just looks cheap to me.
Ava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2015, 03:50 PM   #50
Blucam6

Drives: Tahoe
I must say i was skeptical but after doing a build and price i could have the camaro i want for the same as the stang.(2ss manual). Thing i consider is the camaro runs the 1/4 faster with no pp. Also, and feel free to educate me, i doubt i would need the mag ride to run with the gt pp on a road course. Again just my opinion and i am more concerned with straight line speed. Plus i like n/a and the lt will easily surpass the coyote n/a....btw this comes from a long time mustang fan. No fan boy here, just a car guy.
Blucam6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2015, 04:15 PM   #51
DanSS24

Drives: Dream Cars in my head
Being a diehard Camaro guy, it doesn't matter what the price is. It didn't matter that the Mustang GT was cheaper than the Camaro SS back in 1998, I still got my Camaro SS. I will look forward when the 1LE or ZL1 or Z28 comes out...cuz I will get one.

Wishful thinking...but I sure can dream big.
DanSS24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2015, 04:49 PM   #52
Blucam6

Drives: Tahoe
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanSS24 View Post
Being a diehard Camaro guy, it doesn't matter what the price is. It didn't matter that the Mustang GT was cheaper than the Camaro SS back in 1998, I still got my Camaro SS. I will look forward when the 1LE or ZL1 or Z28 comes out...cuz I will get one.
Lol at 98 mustang gt. Must have been days of back and forth lol!
Blucam6 is offline   Reply With Quote