Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 07-22-2017, 11:35 AM   #15
jrhagen
Banned

Drives: Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spurshot View Post
The OP lives in California. He can't legally modify the engine with much. No long tube headers, no hi-flow cats, no cams, no intake manifolds and throttle bodies. But he can put a E-force blower on it.
All praise Commiefornia.
jrhagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 12:06 PM   #16
BOOSTT

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS "Hot Wheels"
One way to get around that. If the car is collector insured, it does not require emissions testing. That's how I get around it. I use Grundy world-wide collector car ins. and they have been AMAZING!!! No limits on miles driven, but if your car gets stolen at a Walmart, you would be SOOL. Grundy has zero deductible and you place the value on how much the car is insured for. I had to make a claim once and I was paid the entire amount before the police report was even written. One day! Someone forced me off the road in my 300ZX twin turbo show car and it was quite banged up underneath. Everything, even if it was scratched under the car, was paid for full replacement with Grundy. No deductible, 1 mil liability, $600/year, no emissions tests. Love it!
BOOSTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 12:18 PM   #17
Olddudesrule
Resident nomad

Drives: 2014 Summit White 1SS/1LE
I think from a $$ standpoint, it's a ridiculous idea to swap in an LT1 to a 5th Gen. The cost/benefit would make it silly. Either modify your 5th Gen or trade it in for a 6th Gen, either of which would make a whole lot more sense that an engine swap......Take it from a guy who has ruined the value of more than one car by swapping engines. Although both were successful in the end, I spent way, way too much to get it done, and in the end, they were harder to sell.
2003 Z06
1965 FFR Cobra
2012 Nissan 370Z

ADM LSA Stage II, Roto-Fab CAI, Kooks LTH/HFC's, Phastek CC, ported TB, Mishimoto radiator and oil cooler, BC Racing ER Series CO's, JPSS 32mm Black Magic rear bar, JPSS front inserts, R1 Concepts Premier slotted rotors/Goodrich SS lines, Schroth ASM harness, MGW flatstick, Brey-Krause HB, Tuned by NicD, at Cordes Performance Racing.
Olddudesrule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 12:24 PM   #18
18LTLoveIt

Drives: 2018 Hyper Blue LT RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyset View Post
Trade it in...best decision I ever made. Went from fat and slow, to lean and fast !
Good for you. Fat & slow, hahaha NOT! Just a diff perspective.
18LTLoveIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 04:50 PM   #19
Themarowagon

Drives: Black ss
Quote:
Originally Posted by insanity213 View Post
A nice cam with boltons should get you around 500 crank HP for much cheaper than an engine swap.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
Yeah ill probably just end up modifying my car. Some little weight reduction. Yes i made the math and obviously its cheaper to modify. Same mods for mods the new 6th gen would rape. But i dont want to trade i really loke my late 5th gen camaro. But like they say there is someome always gonna be faster than you lol
Themarowagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 04:51 PM   #20
Themarowagon

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyroguy View Post
There's more to it than just an engine. The 6th gen Camaro has the many advantages over the 5th; weight reduction, extra horsepower, 2-4 extra gears (in an automatic SS and ZL1). While I'm not saying don't do it, the issue is going to be cost. Sure it can be done, anything can be done with enough money, but it just plain isn't worth it IMO. If you're that worried about the 6th gen beating you, go buy one and trade your 5th gen in. I've driven both, and while I'm not wildly modified, I don't think that a 6th gen is much if any faster than my car is now. Yes I am comparing stock to modified, but my car is also 8 years older.
You're right. All the money i would spend for the swap. I could just install a supercharger. And beat those 6th gem with ease
Old 07-22-2017, 04:53 PM   #21
Themarowagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLSuperfly View Post
If that is your goal, then trade yours in for a 6th.
Thats the think. Even tho theyre fast as shit. Im not a big fan of them. Dont get me wrong they look pretty good. I just prefer the the late 5th gen
Old 07-22-2017, 04:54 PM   #22
c0r3yr0s3

Drives: 2012 camaro 2ss
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyset View Post
Trade it in...best decision I ever made. Went from fat and slow, to lean and fast !
I'd rather be fat and slow than fast and fugly

Sent from my SM-G550T1 using Tapatalk
c0r3yr0s3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 04:54 PM   #23
Themarowagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC_SS View Post
Also skipping over the fact that there have been a decent amount of stock LT1's blow up within 20,000-30,000 miles

Modify your LS3 and upgrade the oil pump for safe keeping. A cam swap runs around 2-3K and you'll be making nearly 500 wheel
Yes i heard about that. And also about the injectors getting dirty really easy
Old 07-22-2017, 05:33 PM   #24
BOOSTT

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS "Hot Wheels"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Olddudesrule View Post
I think from a $$ standpoint, it's a ridiculous idea to swap in an LT1 to a 5th Gen. The cost/benefit would make it silly. Either modify your 5th Gen or trade it in for a 6th Gen, either of which would make a whole lot more sense that an engine swap......Take it from a guy who has ruined the value of more than one car by swapping engines. Although both were successful in the end, I spent way, way too much to get it done, and in the end, they were harder to sell.

Glad I'm not the only one. Live and learn. I just say I learned more about the car, so it's worth it. hehe
BOOSTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 07:17 PM   #25
Kenny Camaro
Account Suspended

Drives: 2013 1LT RS Camaro
You will never be "the fastest". Be happy with being fast, or faster than 92.5 % of public.
Kenny Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 06:16 AM   #26
ron123

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Themarowagon View Post
Ive seen the new 6th gen camaros killing the game out there. Ive seen camaros 5gen (ls3)getting smoked by the new camaro LT1. People say its the weight advantage over the previous camaro. But i think its not really that, but it has to do with the new LT1 engines direct injection (i know it has around 30 extra horses too). What do you guys think? Is it worth doing the swap? I basically need to have 500 crank horses just to keep up with the new camaro. I really want to see your opinion guys
YOU are comparing the 5th Gen to 6th Gen here ... have you gone out and test drove a 6th Gen yet to see how "YOU" like it???
Does not matter what others think one way or the other does it? If you then decide you can not live without a 6th Gen, as Jay Leno says, buy all you want they'll make more.
Ron
2014 2SS/RS, Z28 CAI and High Wing Spoiler, ZL1 5.1:1 Ratio Short-Throw Shifter, ZL1 Pedals, ZL1 splash guards, NPP Dual-mode quad tip exhaust, Z28 strut tower brace, Camaro LED Cup-holders with footwell Lighting option, Leather visors, and Leather E-brake boot. Chevy dealer sponsored 67 retro SS nose stripe package.
ron123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 08:13 PM   #27
killercamaro23

Drives: 2012 camaro 2LS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Themarowagon View Post
Ive seen the new 6th gen camaros killing the game out there. Ive seen camaros 5gen (ls3)getting smoked by the new camaro LT1. People say its the weight advantage over the previous camaro. But i think its not really that, but it has to do with the new LT1 engines direct injection (i know it has around 30 extra horses too). What do you guys think? Is it worth doing the swap? I basically need to have 500 crank horses just to keep up with the new camaro. I really want to see your opinion guys
If you want to do an engine swap. Get the LSX 454. all you will need is a cam intake and tune . youll be at 630 rwhp

250lb weight reduction !!!
killercamaro23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 08:49 AM   #28
WoodBoss
"Old School"

Drives: 2010 2SS L99
I have had no trouble putting 6th gens in the rear view at the track. I like my car much better than the 6th gen anyway.
WoodBoss is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ls3, lt1, swap, vs., weight