Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Road Course/Track and Autocross

Bigwormgraphix

Old 10-11-2022, 09:19 PM   #15
ICTsccaCamaro
ITCRNRS

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Don't tie the chassis down! E-track with wheel straps is the answer, every real car transport company uses wheel straps. With wheel straps the suspension can still move just like it would driving down the street vs. compressing the suspension.
Attached Images

Old 10-12-2022, 05:43 AM   #16
Kmeleon

Drives: 2018 NFG 2SS 1LE!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ICTsccaCamaro View Post
Don't tie the chassis down! E-track with wheel straps is the answer, every real car transport company uses wheel straps. With wheel straps the suspension can still move just like it would driving down the street vs. compressing the suspension.
THIS.
Kmeleon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2022, 11:05 AM   #17
Alpha1BC

Drives: 2017 1SS 1LE
+1 for e-track and over-wheel straps if it's not too late to change. I've tried all 3 and it's easily my preferred method given the choice.

While the through-wheels straps are a step in the right direction from hooking to the chassis, it's still loading the suspension in odd directions that weren't a consideration in design. Not to say that it will cause a problem, just that there's more risk associated with that method vs. going over the wheel (since over wheel is how it is designed to ship from the factory to dealers).

Plus, if it matters at all, you'll be able to keep stuff slightly cleaner going over the wheel vs. having your through wheel straps that get covered in brake dust after a track day.
Old 10-12-2022, 05:31 PM   #18
Christian1LE

Drives: 2004 BMW 330CI, 2022 1SS 1LE
Interesting I may return the macs straps and go that route. How do the tracks attach to the trailer? My trailer has a wood floor so I think it's as simple as just screwing the etrack down? Do they have an official website or does any e-track work good enough? Id rather get something high quality.

*edit, Nevermind I see Macs has an option for E-Track, i'll return what I ordered and go that route, it looks much cleaner.

Last edited by Christian1LE; 10-12-2022 at 05:43 PM.
Christian1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2022, 05:55 AM   #19
Kmeleon

Drives: 2018 NFG 2SS 1LE!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christian1LE View Post
Interesting I may return the macs straps and go that route. How do the tracks attach to the trailer? My trailer has a wood floor so I think it's as simple as just screwing the etrack down? Do they have an official website or does any e-track work good enough? Id rather get something high quality.

*edit, Nevermind I see Macs has an option for E-Track, i'll return what I ordered and go that route, it looks much cleaner.
Good choice! As for install lags into the wood and then hit every steel cross member with a self drilling zip screw. It will have plenty of strength.
Kmeleon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2022, 03:01 AM   #20
Val Walkinshaw
L8ap3x

Drives: 2018 2SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by clyde View Post
Those are the ZL1addons points for the 5th gen and they're different than the ones they made for the 6th gen, which have been unavailable for a while.

I have a 6th gen set that I bought a while ago for the turbo I used to have. After I replaced the turbo with an SS 1LE, I bought Strano's points (full disclosure: Sam's a good friend, but I paid full price.

The ZL1addon rear points had issues on my turbo. I don't know if they bent or something moved or what, but after first use, they forever interfered with the rear sway bar causing clunks on broken surfaces, so I wound up removing them and then only putting them back on when the car was towed. I never used the fronts because they (like Strano's) rely on bolts from the V8's shear plate that the turbo doesn't have, so I used e-track.

Strano's points are gusseted and WAY beefier feeling than the ZL1addons.

The Strano rear points mount to the forward rear subframe bolts which means they can't interfere with the sway bar, but the bolts are single use. I think everyone reuses those bolts without issue, but they're cheap. The ZL1addons use the aft rear subframe bolts.

The ZL1addons front points for the 6th gen mount horizontally (unlike the 5th gen points like the one pictured above) and want you to use a hole in the shear plate to insert your hook's end. The ZL1addons' point essentially acts as a steel reinforcement to the aluminum shear plate.

The Strano points hang down with a hole (more like the 5th gen points mentioned above) that is easier to access and gives you more options for what kind of hook you use. The downside is that because they hang down, they may scrape on speedbumps.

I don't know of anyone else that makes points for 6th gens. I don't think Strano made too many in his last batch, but I think he still has some available.

http://www.stranoparts.com/partdetai...397&ModelID=49

I bought the strap points 3-4 weeks ago. They were back in stock.
Val Walkinshaw is offline   Reply With Quote