Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 05-26-2017, 12:06 AM   #15
Bongos2U

Drives: Hopefully 6th gen Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sev View Post
That is the current project name for the mid-engine. Not sure the name will carry once production starts.
Aaah...OK. Would be cool if they kept the Zora name. Kinda like what Ferrari did with the "Enzo".
Bongos2U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 12:59 AM   #16
Zepp

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1SS 1LE
Chevy knows their market, they will keep the front engine Corvette for the majority of their sales. The Mid engine Corvette will be in much smaller numbers for the elite customers and collectors. They're going to build a Super Car just like Ford did with the GT, they will sell out quick too. You can bet that this mid engine Corvette will compete with the Super cars of the world too, at a fraction of the cost. They will have a ton of money invested in it, it will be very successful.
Old 05-26-2017, 08:55 AM   #17
DFW1LE

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE Mosiac Black
Also see the mid-engine vette as GMs answer to the Ford GT40, so will be out of reach of most typical Corvette enthusiasts, while the other lower model vettes will exist and continue to improve against their market competitors. I wonder how long it will take to make the mid-engine a LeMans winner.
DFW1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 09:32 AM   #18
gpskinzhut

Drives: 2017 ZL1 A10
Camaro moving up to the Corvette tier makes zero sense.

2017 ZL1 A10
2017 2SS M6: (SOLD) || 2014 2LT Convertible: (SOLD) || 2010 2LT M6 Supercharged:(SOLD) || 1987 IROC-Z 5.0 M5: (SOLD)
gpskinzhut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 09:34 AM   #19
ron scubadiver

Drives: 2017 2SS Hyper Blue
Although the Camaro comes close to the Stingray it isn't the same thing as having a lightweight 2 seater. Rumors are the mid engine car will be expensive, but who knows. A loaded Z06 is already $100k while the ZL1 is pretty much out of the pony car ballpark price wise.
Old 05-26-2017, 09:36 AM   #20
Bhobbs

Drives: 2015 SS 1LE Red Hot, 1970 Chevelle
A few years back, Tadge Jeuchter said going mid engine would only increase MSRP by $5k, so I'm not sure why everyone thinks a mid engine Vette will be hundreds of thousands of dollars.
Old 05-26-2017, 09:37 AM   #21
ron scubadiver

Drives: 2017 2SS Hyper Blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zepp View Post
Chevy knows their market, they will keep the front engine Corvette for the majority of their sales. The Mid engine Corvette will be in much smaller numbers for the elite customers and collectors. They're going to build a Super Car just like Ford did with the GT, they will sell out quick too. You can bet that this mid engine Corvette will compete with the Super cars of the world too, at a fraction of the cost. They will have a ton of money invested in it, it will be very successful.
There is a contradiction here because the Ford GT is priced in the supercar range. For the Zora to be for the elite and collectors it will be priced like the GT, north of $350k. I don't think that is in the cards.
Old 05-26-2017, 09:48 AM   #22
Sev

Drives: 2016 2SS / 2004 Tacoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bongos2U View Post
Aaah...OK. Would be cool if they kept the Zora name. Kinda like what Ferrari did with the "Enzo".
Agree 100% It would be a fantastic homage to the Corvette.

"I'm going to drink you pretty, beautiful toad"
Sev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 10:14 AM   #23
Marty McFlew
Banned

Drives: 17 SuperSport Camaro 6 on the Flo'
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAC17 View Post
Maybe someone else has already figured this out but, by the caliber of performance that Chevy is now offering in the various Camaro models, it seems to me that they are moving it "upmarket" to make room for the new mid-engine Vette in 2019, which will then be priced significantly higher than current models.

Any thoughts?
Mid engine Vette....Bah ..Humbug!
Marty McFlew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 10:18 AM   #24
Marty McFlew
Banned

Drives: 17 SuperSport Camaro 6 on the Flo'
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sub View Post
But will the vette still be the working mans budget supercar..? Its never going to truly leave that stigma and become respected among the ferrari enthusiasts of the world, so if they price it where the working man cant afford it, theyre going to screw themselves.
I don't know why Vette would want to even compete with Ferrari. Ferrarri is a boutique Sports car. Vette is a working man's sports car yet the Vette offers more $ for $ performance than any other performance car in the world. Chevy should stick to that formula.
Marty McFlew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 11:21 AM   #25
shaffe

Drives: 21 Bronco
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sub View Post
But will the vette still be the working mans budget supercar..? Its never going to truly leave that stigma and become respected among the ferrari enthusiasts of the world, so if they price it where the working man cant afford it, theyre going to screw themselves.
Agreed. I have said it numerous times, its one of my life goals to buy a brand new Corvette. If they think they can move it up a notch and replace it with the Camaro, sorry lost a sale. Camaro will NEVER be a Corvette. I don't care if its faster, has more power, whatever. it will never be a Corvette.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhobbs View Post
A few years back, Tadge Jeuchter said going mid engine would only increase MSRP by $5k, so I'm not sure why everyone thinks a mid engine Vette will be hundreds of thousands of dollars.
Now if thats the case, then bring on the mid engine Vette. It's just all this move it upmarket talk that scares me
it has more power...its available power is like a set kof double Ds (no matter where your face is... theyre everywhere) it has the suspension to mame it matter...(
shaffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 01:32 PM   #26
gpskinzhut

Drives: 2017 ZL1 A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ron scubadiver View Post
There is a contradiction here because the Ford GT is priced in the supercar range. For the Zora to be for the elite and collectors it will be priced like the GT, north of $350k. I don't think that is in the cards.
The GT is also very exclusive. When you have to meet the manufacturer's criteria to even be considered, that's quite the bit snobbery. I can't see Corvette ever falling into that category.

2017 ZL1 A10
2017 2SS M6: (SOLD) || 2014 2LT Convertible: (SOLD) || 2010 2LT M6 Supercharged:(SOLD) || 1987 IROC-Z 5.0 M5: (SOLD)
gpskinzhut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 01:37 PM   #27
Strider044

Drives: 2015 2ss/rs Commemorative edition
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAC17 View Post
Maybe someone else has already figured this out but, by the caliber of performance that Chevy is now offering in the various Camaro models, it seems to me that they are moving it "upmarket" to make room for the new mid-engine Vette in 2019, which will then be priced significantly higher than current models.

Any thoughts?
That was my exact thought..... Corvette vs Ford GT

Camaro will be the next Vette market.. hang on to your C7's
Old 05-26-2017, 04:05 PM   #28
Stroked84

Drives: Nothing fun, currently.
A couple months back I mentioned this to a neighbor of mine (old Italian dude from Michigan) who is a retired GM employee and whose son also works for GM (test driving cars) in NJ I believe. He held his forefinger to the side of his nose, as if to gesture he was telling me a secret and said that the new mid engine Vette was going to be a totally different tier of car than a Stingray or even a Z06. That the Camaro wasn't supplanting the Stingray. And the heirarchy of Chevy performance cars wasn't shifting, but adding a new branch for those in the market for an exotic sports coupe that might cross shop this car. His concern was the branding. Hard to pull people from Ferarri and Lamborghini when you're looking for that exotic name.
Stroked84 is offline   Reply With Quote