#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

AWE Tuning

Old 04-27-2017, 08:57 AM   #43
zl1_tommy

Drives: 2017 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwebster View Post
How does that clear the Brembo's? I only measured 1 1/4" clearance between the wheel and caliper on mine. Did you change the brakes or grind off the skates? It's gotta be super-close if it does fit.

--Cal
Its super close, but it fits. No grinding necessary.

I have a couple pics on my Instagram from a month or so ago.
https://www.instagram.com/p/BQqO6uxA...n-by=zl1_tommy
zl1_tommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 02:14 PM   #44
cwebster
Cal

Drives: 2017 6th Gen Camaro ZL1 Coupe M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by zl1_tommy View Post

Nice! Thank you.

So, just so everyone reading this is clear, you said before these are 17x10 wheels from Weld Tech. The photos look like the model S77B. Can you confirm the backspace and pad height you ordered? (43mm, high?) At least we'll know for sure that the Weld Tech 17" wheels do fit.

--Cal
cwebster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 02:23 PM   #45
laynlo15

Drives: 2022 Lt1 A10
Hey CW you know I've tried to put forth good info for you. We all have to lean on each other sometimes. Your car is pretty cool and glad to see your getting your wheel and tire package set up. Then you'll be able to hook for some better times.
2022 Lt1 6.2 A10, Maggie 2300, THPSI Port Inj/10 rib, Rotofab, E, Nickey, SCOL, Griptech, RC Bandits, Hoosiers/MT 9.80@142.96 1.44 60ft, 6.34@112 707/669 RWHP/TRQ. 16SS Maggie 2650 9.41@147 1.35 60ft, 5.99@119. 16 C7 A8 10.90@128 Bolt on stuff
laynlo15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 02:30 PM   #46
Chevy71

Drives: 2016 2SS
Quote:
Ahh... nice to know. Thanks for the info. So you have the kit on your SS? Photos would be great if you have them. Do you have a link to a description and pricing?

--Cal
I don't have a ZL1, so my car won't apply. Although I haven't done this first hand, I do feel I have something to offer to aid in the questions and if nothing else save you all the research time. I don't have the 15" wheel set up. I have just been looking into them. Here is the stuff I have found.

https://www.carlyleracing.com/store/...onversion-kit/

https://www.carlyleracing.com/store/...n-15-base-kit/

http://www.redline-motorsports.net/p...ting-upgrades/
Attached Images

Chevy71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 03:08 PM   #47
cwebster
Cal

Quote:
Originally Posted by laynlo15 View Post
Hey CW you know I've tried to put forth good info for you. We all have to lean on each other sometimes. Your car is pretty cool and glad to see your getting your wheel and tire package set up. Then you'll be able to hook for some better times.
Yeah, I appreciate all the info and recommendations I get here. I try to reciprocate whenever I can. Damn straight with the "lean on me" sentiment too. If we can just keep from clobbering each other (not you specifically), it's amazing how much we can all gain. I'll post photos and comments when mine come in. Who knows, I may end up having to rip out my fender-well liners but at least I'll have a big fat booty to squat down on at the tree.

--Cal
Old 04-27-2017, 03:35 PM   #48
laynlo15

Drives: 2022 Lt1 A10
CW I hope you can pick up a few tenths at least. My best et before the drag pack was 12.05 and after 11.71 before the supercharger. Its a 100 lbs weight saving and it will make it bang the gong for you. Get you air pressures right and I think you'll make some pretty good gains and be able to launch it at a higher rpm. Good luck
2022 Lt1 6.2 A10, Maggie 2300, THPSI Port Inj/10 rib, Rotofab, E, Nickey, SCOL, Griptech, RC Bandits, Hoosiers/MT 9.80@142.96 1.44 60ft, 6.34@112 707/669 RWHP/TRQ. 16SS Maggie 2650 9.41@147 1.35 60ft, 5.99@119. 16 C7 A8 10.90@128 Bolt on stuff
laynlo15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 03:51 PM   #49
cwebster
Cal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevy71 View Post
I don't have a ZL1, so my car won't apply. Although I haven't done this first hand, I do feel I have something to offer to aid in the questions and if nothing else save you all the research time. I don't have the 15" wheel set up. I have just been looking into them. Here is the stuff I have found.

https://www.carlyleracing.com/store/...onversion-kit/

https://www.carlyleracing.com/store/...n-15-base-kit/

http://www.redline-motorsports.net/p...ting-upgrades/
Good! Thanks for sharing what you found.

I went ahead and called Carlysle Racing and Redline Motorsports to see if these kits were specifically built for and/or fit the 6th Gen ZL1. Here's what I got:

--------------------------
Carlyle Racing
888-307-9186
6th Gen Pro 15" Conversion Kit $1,499

I spoke with a guy named Justin.

Question: Will this kit work with the 6th Gen (2017+) Camaro ZL1?
Ans: Yes. It's guaranteed to work.

Question: Do all the components need to be replaced on the ZL1 vs SS?
Ans: It is recommended to replace everything that comes with the kit.

Question: What brand are the 4-piston brakes?
Ans: Brakes are SSBC re-branded for Carlyle Racing

Additional info: Kit is $1,599 with drilled/slotted rotors

Redline Motorsports
954-703-5560
15 inch Camaro Brake Conversion Package

I spoke with a guy named Rich.

Question: Can you answer specific questions on the fitment and suitability of this kit for the 6th Gen (2017+) ZL1?
Ans: I can potentially answer the questions.

Question: Is this kit designed for and/or guaranteed to fit the 6th Gen (2017+) ZL1, not just the SS? I need to know for certain that it fits.
Ans: Rich was the only person there - in process of moving. Says he'll check with his tech guys on 6th Gen ZL1 applicability and call me back later today or tomorrow AM.

People should know that this modification is not easily reversed. If you plan on using the car for Autocross or Road Courses, you are better off staying with the existing brake/suspension combo. This would be good for those committed to only drag racing and daily driving.

--Cal
Old 04-27-2017, 03:53 PM   #50
SGDM

Quote:
Well said, SGDM. I guess they are gonna treat us like step children then bring them to the track for a lesson or two. Zl1 seems to be a little slow these days. We try to help and get a bunch of shit for it. Not all can appreciate what the SS started, obviously all don't feel ill towards our shitty SS Camaros. So bring it.
Thanks Bro, I reckon us low life SS guys should not get out of our lane, do a group hug and sing kum ba ya. I have run 6 x ZL1's and blown their doors off with my little ol SS. LOL

Quote:
C'mon guys! No one wants anyone to leave or stop contributing. As I said earlier, I appreciate that "SGDM" was trying to help. Often comparing SS to ZL1 issues can reveal important insights. We just need to be clear in what we're saying so others don't get the wrong idea and make a buying decision based on a misunderstanding.

I love the SS! From my 1970 Nova SS 396 to my 5th Gen SS 1LE, I've had so much fun. So let's keep it civil and try to keep our messages clear. It's a lot harder to judge someone's intent without seeing there eyes. I always try to assume the best intentions...

--Cal
Thanks Cal, I am sure there are some of us here that had a SS before some of these guys were born. Just trying to help the fellas here save time on research and spinning their wheels. I am not conservative, I am a killer and I dont get my feelings hurt. Better get back to my lane...It's all good. Rangers Lead the Way! Adios

Greg

Who Dares...Wins
SGDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 04:22 PM   #51
cwebster
Cal

Quote:
CW I hope you can pick up a few tenths at least. My best et before the drag pack was 12.05 and after 11.71 before the supercharger. Its a 100 lbs weight saving and it will make it bang the gong for you. Get you air pressures right and I think you'll make some pretty good gains and be able to launch it at a higher rpm. Good luck
Thanks! I'll take all the luck I can get. I'm going crazy waiting for the new wheels. I think I'm going to the track tomorrow night for a few more passes on stock rubber, just to see if I can improve my R/T and 60' and maybe get my ET down to 11.6 or better. My last track day when I hit 11.7 I had 2 R/T's under 0.2 sec, and 4 under 0.3. My 60' improved too, with half the runs at 2.0 sec or better. Track conditions are always a crap shoot on Test & Tune days, though. This is where the luck may come into play. Last time I was spinning at launch in right lane and lost all traction in left lane from about 30-100 ft. Peddled it and recovered but it's really annoying when you're trying to improve.

It'll be great to launch at 5000 RPM with the new MT "R" compound. That'll likely take a bit of a learning curve too, getting used to no wheel slip. I look forward to the challenge, though.

--Cal
Old 04-27-2017, 04:41 PM   #52
cwebster
Cal

Quote:
Originally Posted by SGDM View Post

Thanks Cal, I am sure there are some of us here that had a SS before some of these guys were born. Just trying to help the fellas here save time on research and spinning their wheels. I am not conservative, I am a killer and I dont get my feelings hurt. Better get back to my lane...It's all good. Rangers Lead the Way! Adios

Greg
No harm done... we'll keep each other straight, Greg. Just don't cross-over lanes or you'll be disqualified. LOL

I am a fiscal conservative and social moderate - also a paid warrior for 21 years, but that has nothing to do with racing. All you need at the track is a competitive (killer) instinct and a willingness to learn. When it comes to facts in this forum, though, it's kinda like international diplomacy - Trust but Verify.

Later...
Old 04-27-2017, 09:20 PM   #53
Chevy71

Quote:
Good! Thanks for sharing what you found.

I went ahead and called Carlysle Racing and Redline Motorsports to see if these kits were specifically built for and/or fit the 6th Gen ZL1. Here's what I got:

Carlyle Racing
888-307-9186
6th Gen Pro 15" Conversion Kit $1,499

I spoke with a guy named Justin.

Question: Will this kit work with the 6th Gen (2017+) Camaro ZL1?
Ans: Yes. It's guaranteed to work.

Question: Do all the components need to be replaced on the ZL1 vs SS?
Ans: It is recommended to replace everything that comes with the kit.

Question: What brand are the 4-piston brakes?
Ans: Brakes are SSBC re-branded for Carlyle Racing

Additional info: Kit is $1,599 with drilled/slotted rotors

Redline Motorsports
954-703-5560
15 inch Camaro Brake Conversion Package

I spoke with a guy named Rich.

Question: Can you answer specific questions on the fitment and suitability of this kit for the 6th Gen (2017+) ZL1?
Ans: I can potentially answer the questions.

Question: Is this kit designed for and/or guaranteed to fit the 6th Gen (2017+) ZL1, not just the SS? I need to know for certain that it fits.
Ans: Rich was the only person there - in process of moving. Says he'll check with his tech guys on 6th Gen ZL1 applicability and call me back later today or tomorrow AM.

People should know that this modification is not easily reversed. If you plan on using the car for Autocross or Road Courses, you are better off staying with the existing brake/suspension combo. This would be good for those committed to only drag racing and daily driving.

--Cal
I was told the kit works on ZL1's as well and I'm 99% sure Redline is offering Carlyle's kit.

+1 on understanding this isn't something you can bolt on Friday after work and hit the track all weekend then switch it back for DD. This is committing your car to straight line, hard dig pulls and taking away from speed cornering and corner control. You also need to make sure the driveline can handle your power with this set up. Otherwise you will have broken axles or driveshaft. Even at stock levels and a good sticky box, you could break driveline components with this set up.
Chevy71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 09:59 PM   #54
wanab

Drives: 17 ZL1 4300 03/16/2017
Quote:
I have 17x10 Welds and 305/45/17 MT ET Street Rs on my '17 ZL1.
I checked out your Instagram and those are the same wheels that I'll have shipping in a week. Only thing when I talked to Weld they told me they would only fit in 17 X 9.5. If I had know they would fit I would have insisted on 17 X 10.
Old 09-22-2017, 08:51 AM   #55
bucknut2006

Drives: 2017 ZL1 A10, 2015 C7 Z51
Quote:

Would this be the setup you purchased? Want to make sure I'm getting the correct ones.

Old 01-27-2018, 12:22 PM   #56
17ZL1

Drives: 2017 Nightfall Gray Metallic ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by bucknut2006 View Post
That's really good news.
Hello, How much difference did the Rotofab make on your Z?
Thanks
Al
Macon Ga
17ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote