Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

Bigwormgraphix

Old 01-12-2014, 09:43 PM   #15
IH8OPEC
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Drives: 2010 VR/W 2SS/RS L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by IH8OPEC View Post
A birdie told me to look at the Cadillac ATS platform for an idea of the Gen 6 Camaro size! (Most likely the ELR coupe) I'm not sure there's room for an LS3 let alone a FI LT engine in that engine bay.

But you can get a 400+ hp factory twin turbo V6 in there!
Quote:
Originally Posted by RLHMARINES View Post
The Alpha chassis was designed for a V8 from the start.
(Highlighted for you) the ATS seems a tad shorter and more narrow than the current Camaro and offers no V8 option. Although the twin turbo with AWD would be nice a nice option.

GM will do to the Camaro what Ford has done to the 2015 Mustang it'll be BUTT ugly and most likely lose sales to the point they cancel the car AGAIN IMHO.
Old 01-12-2014, 10:21 PM   #16
colingordon
Her Name is Mila

Drives: 2012 Camaro 1LT A6, 2014 Camaro 1LS
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2012-1822 View Post
I can't say how affordable, exactly, a 69 SS Camaro was new for the common guy, but that ZL1 option back then was that much again on top of the car. I don't see much difference today. We still have affordable, sort of*, models and then you can double the price and get a performance model.

I've often wondered not where the price stops but where there HP plateaus off. How high does it go before they say enough is enough. Last time this happened the gas crisis and government emissions regulations kicked in. What now?

*I put an this puppy up there to say that we still have affordable cars, sort of. Well, with the addition of extra safety equipment and amenities that cars didn't use to have, there isn't really a good cheap option anymore. I remember in the late 90's you could still get a brand new 4 banger S10 pickup for $8000 or so on sale. Not no more. Cars are safer, that's true, but that comes, literally, at a price.
Yes, but the horsepower race of that era was a totally different animal of its own. Today, we have variable valve timing, advanced ECU units and other fuel saving technologies. A 3 second 0-60 C7 Corvette CAN get at par MPG with my V6. Just sayin'
Old 01-12-2014, 10:31 PM   #17
OldScoolCamaro

Drives: Camaro's, always have, always will.
....Z06 will offer the LT4 S/C powerplant. It will eventually be used in the Camaro at some point in the next Gen.
Old 01-12-2014, 11:20 PM   #18
JimE

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS/1LE
It all boils down to cost. What will have the lowest cost, a different/new engine or upgrading the existing engine? And there is more involved in the cost than just the price difference between the two motors.
JimE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 08:25 AM   #19
Sikoriko

Drives: 2011 V6 IOM
At least GM can do is make a concept Camaro with all the goodies of the Z06 power plant.
Sikoriko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 09:36 AM   #20
james347

Drives: 2006 Crownline
That new Z06 2015 Corvette is just awesome. I'll take one in Silver please!
And 8-Speed! Would love to drive that auto in manual mode to see how it responds using the paddle shifters.

Wonder if the dealers will allow test drives?

A lot of these new performance cars are 'you gotta buy to test drive'. Don't blame them really, too many tire kickers. Admittedly me being one .
james347 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 10:02 AM   #21
grocerygetter
instigator

Drives: 2020 6.2 Trail Boss, 2022 XC90
yup sweet! just watched reveal!
Old 01-13-2014, 10:13 AM   #22
BlackinBlack

Drives: 2016 Corvette Z06 Blade Silver
I personally did not like the look of the stock C7 (for me it was kind of boring and plain) but this is more my speed. (Darn thing looks like a pure race car.) GM you have peaked my interested. More info please.

2013 ZL1 BLACK on BLACK <SOLD>
Roto-Fab CAI

2010 2SS/RS BLACK on BLACK <SOLD>
3" MBRP 304 Stainless Exhaust
Roto-Fab CAI
BlackinBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 11:41 AM   #23
v6sonoma

Drives: 2010 SS RS
If time has taught us anything first they'll need to show off a 6th gen. That will most likely have an LT1. Then they'll make the convertible. Then a year later they will come out with a 1LE,ZL1,Z28 or what ever. There's a lot of time between then and now so what those get is still up in the air.

GM has always said there is no rule in place that the corvette has to have more HP than everything else. Like the LSA in the current ZL1 and the LS7 in the Z28 both have more power in them then the cars that had those engines first. So there's no reason that won't happen again.

Mods: BBK Intake, BBK LT's and High Flow Cats, Corsa Cat-back exhaust, Hurst short throw shifter, SLP skip-shift eliminator.

7/1/09 Placed order for IOM/IO int/ SS/RS 6M
9/26/09 Took delivery!
v6sonoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 01:46 PM   #24
PrinzII
Future ZL1 Owner

Drives: 2011 Edge Limited
Quote:
Originally Posted by v6sonoma View Post
GM has always said there is no rule in place that the corvette has to have more HP than everything else. Like the LSA in the current ZL1 and the LS7 in the Z28 both have more power in them then the cars that had those engines first.
LSA: I'll agree. The ZL1 has 580 vs 556 in the CTS-V
LS7: I'll disagree. The Z/28 has an even 500 where the Z06 had 505. I know....big whoop over 5 hp.
PrinzII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 08:05 PM   #25
OldScoolCamaro

,,if they put a N/A LS7 motor, which has been made a ton of times since '06 if my memory serves me correctly, which has payed for itself times over, into the Z/28 which is costing a ton... compared to a LT4, or another new DI motor,...a new fresh design that had recouped nothing as of yet...in a Camaro....the cost will be astronomincal. As if the Z/28 wasn't priced high enough. Not to mention placing a nex gen in a ZL1. Sorry, after seeing the cost increase trend as of late....the only affordable solution for the masses may be a TT V6....they are passing on initial investments like they did back with the original ZL1....directly to the consumer.
Old 01-28-2014, 08:21 PM   #26
Todd in Vancouver

Drives: 2014 ZL1
Quote:
If time has taught us anything first they'll need to show off a 6th gen. That will most likely have an LT1. Then they'll make the convertible. Then a year later they will come out with a 1LE,ZL1,Z28 or what ever. There's a lot of time between then and now so what those get is still up in the air.

GM has always said there is no rule in place that the corvette has to have more HP than everything else. Like the LSA in the current ZL1 and the LS7 in the Z28 both have more power in them then the cars that had those engines first. So there's no reason that won't happen again.
Not so sure I agree. Chevy has always made sure the Corvette was top of the heap and had a faster version. Yes the ZL1 has more punch than the Z06 of the same year but the ZR1 was bigger still. Will we see a hopped up version of the ZL, I certainly hope so but not before they make sure there is a faster Corvette.

Other manufacturers have learned about cannibalizing sales with different products.

How hard can it be...
Check out my other build http://www.pro-touring.com/threads/9...ject-Obsession

Todd in Vancouver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 10:05 AM   #27
MikeSVX
The magic smoke genie....

Drives: Jewels (2010 RJT 1SS)
My guess is look at the Caddies to see what will happen. The current engines are closer to the CTS engines then the Corvette engines. I imagine thats probably going to be the same. They might pop up in the new Caddy line and follow in the Camaros a year or two later. But thats just my guess.
Old 01-29-2014, 06:39 PM   #28
OldScoolCamaro

Quote:

Ben Franklin said, believe half of what you see, and none of what you hear. The Vette will always be over top of the Camaro...as long as they both exist.