Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 02-16-2015, 08:17 PM   #1
zissophiss

Drives: 2015 Camaro 2SS
Will aftermarket CAI void warranty?

Does anyone know if installing an aftermarket Cold Air Intake will void the Chevrolet warranty? Is the CAI from dealer best way to go?
zissophiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 08:33 PM   #2
kevinw

Drives: 2013 Black 2 LT vert
nope, it wont void it.
kevinw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 08:36 PM   #3
Jf1288

Drives: 2012 Chevy camaro
I had my MAF sensor go bad couple of months after I installed my K&N typhoon cai. Took it to the dealer, they reinstalled the OEM cai and it was still bad, finally, they reinstalled my K&N typhoon and a new MAF sensor(under warranty)
Jf1288 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 09:02 PM   #4
KaBoom1701
KaBoom1701

Drives: 13' ZL1 Red M6
Nope, go for it.

Just keep your OEM air intake for smog checks...if needed.

Cold Air Inductions or RotoFab are the best IMHO.
Roto-Fab Intake, WW Res. kit & Big Gulp Air Scoop, Elite Catch Can, ATI Super Damper & 18% OD Pulley, LF Idler pulley bracket, Metco CC breather, ID850 Injectors, Stainless Power Headers w/ ceramic coating, TR71X Spark Plugs, JMS Fuel Pump Booster, Bo White TB, Tuned by Ted @ Jannetty Racing, Ron Davis HX, D3 Reservoir, Pfadt 1" Springs, Moreno Camber Plates, ZL1 Addons Splitter guard washers, Tow Hook kit & rock guards, Hurst Shifter Billet Plus 6 Speed Short Shifter, ZL1 DRL lighting harness, ZL1 Recaro Seats.
KaBoom1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 09:14 PM   #5
jshaf
Montani Semper Liberi

Drives: 2011 Black 2SS/RS w/ IOM stripes
so if you put the z28 air intake on it is all good?

Stainless Works 1 7/8 Long Tude Headers, Stainless Works High Flow Cats, Stainless Works Retro Chambered Catback, Z/28 Air Intake, RDP Tuned, FR41 Chrome Rims, 1100W stereo, 35% Tint
jshaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 09:19 PM   #6
PalmerGA

Drives: 2013 SIM 1SS/RS L99
Although very unlikely, if the aftermarket CAI is determined to be the cause of a failure... GM could void the warranty of the failed part/assembly. In reality, any aftermarket or modified part could void a warranty - be it powertrain, exhaust, etc. Just for instance: let's say your CAI was installed and the filter was defective and started coming apart. Pieces of filter were sucked in through the throttle body and caused internal engine damage. If GM determines it was the aftermarket filter that caused the damage... you're screwed. Voided engine warranty. It could happen, though not likely, and simply having the CAI installed will not void your warranty.
2013 1SS/RS Coupe L99, Stainless Power Works LT Headers, SCT X4 Custom Tune from RDP, CAI Inc. Air Intake w/ Apex Scoop, VMAX CNC Ported Throttle Body, Solo Axle-Back Exhaust w/ J-pipes, Apex Catch Can, Husky Splash Guards, Heritage Grille, 3D Carbon Rear Spoiler, Oracle Chrome Turn Signal Bulbs, GM Reverse Light Trim Billets, Gorilla Black Locking Lugs, Emblem Pros Retro SS Badges/Custom Retro SS Kickplates/Under-hood Bowtie, 35% window Tint, Nitto Motivo Tires (6-8-18)
PalmerGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 09:19 PM   #7
KaBoom1701
KaBoom1701

Quote:
Originally Posted by jshaf View Post
so if you put the z28 air intake on it is all good?
It will be fine....the GM box it comes in says it will void warranty but they have to prove the Z/28 caused the failure.....
Roto-Fab Intake, WW Res. kit & Big Gulp Air Scoop, Elite Catch Can, ATI Super Damper & 18% OD Pulley, LF Idler pulley bracket, Metco CC breather, ID850 Injectors, Stainless Power Headers w/ ceramic coating, TR71X Spark Plugs, JMS Fuel Pump Booster, Bo White TB, Tuned by Ted @ Jannetty Racing, Ron Davis HX, D3 Reservoir, Pfadt 1" Springs, Moreno Camber Plates, ZL1 Addons Splitter guard washers, Tow Hook kit & rock guards, Hurst Shifter Billet Plus 6 Speed Short Shifter, ZL1 DRL lighting harness, ZL1 Recaro Seats.
Old 02-20-2015, 09:36 AM   #8
zissophiss

So I went with the one from Cold Air Inductions. Most reviews were very positive. It arrived at my doorstep yesterday. Will put it on this weekend. Looking forward to seeing if it makes a difference at all. It definitely looks nice.
Old 02-20-2015, 09:56 AM   #9
KaBoom1701
KaBoom1701

Quote:
Originally Posted by zissophiss View Post
So I went with the one from Cold Air Inductions. Most reviews were very positive. It arrived at my doorstep yesterday. Will put it on this weekend. Looking forward to seeing if it makes a difference at all. It definitely looks nice.
It will sound sweet when you get on it and you hear the air sucking through the CAI.

It helps the exhaust note as well.
Old 02-20-2015, 03:51 PM   #10
PalmerGA

Drives: 2013 SIM 1SS/RS L99
I love the "psfttttt" sound when you turn off the engine.
2013 1SS/RS Coupe L99, Stainless Power Works LT Headers, SCT X4 Custom Tune from RDP, CAI Inc. Air Intake w/ Apex Scoop, VMAX CNC Ported Throttle Body, Solo Axle-Back Exhaust w/ J-pipes, Apex Catch Can, Husky Splash Guards, Heritage Grille, 3D Carbon Rear Spoiler, Oracle Chrome Turn Signal Bulbs, GM Reverse Light Trim Billets, Gorilla Black Locking Lugs, Emblem Pros Retro SS Badges/Custom Retro SS Kickplates/Under-hood Bowtie, 35% window Tint, Nitto Motivo Tires (6-8-18)
PalmerGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 03:55 PM   #11
pickwithaustin

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS Convertible and:
Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmerGA View Post
Although very unlikely, if the aftermarket CAI is determined to be the cause of a failure... GM could void the warranty of the failed part/assembly. In reality, any aftermarket or modified part could void a warranty - be it powertrain, exhaust, etc. Just for instance: let's say your CAI was installed and the filter was defective and started coming apart. Pieces of filter were sucked in through the throttle body and caused internal engine damage. If GM determines it was the aftermarket filter that caused the damage... you're screwed. Voided engine warranty. It could happen, though not likely, and simply having the CAI installed will not void your warranty.

This. Exactly.
The CAI actually improves the operation of the motor, so it is unlikely unless someone were to install in incorrectly (hard to do, but you never know).
2011 Camaro 2SS/RS Convertible | 1980 Corvette Stingray | 1981 Firebird | 1968 El Camino | 2007 Crown Vic Police Interceptor | 2001 Silverado | 2001 Blazer | 1965 Chevy C-10 | 2007 Harley Softail Custom | 2013 MX-5 in Copper Red Mica | 2000 Corvette Convertible | 2010 Corvette Grand Sport | 2006 Audi A3 Turbo | 2008 BMW 328i

pickwithaustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 07:40 PM   #12
Splitter
Account Suspended

Drives: '14 RRM 1LT/RS A6
My service advisor came into the showroom where I was waiting to get my steering wheel swapped with a new one, so I did an oil change too while they had it. He asks me where I got the intake? He said it was wicked, quoting him exactly.

Didn't void anything.

CAI Inc, ftw.
Splitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015, 05:05 PM   #13
zissophiss

Before and after

CAIName:  WP_20150221_001.jpg
Views: 1427
Size:  141.0 KB

Name:  WP_20150221_002.jpg
Views: 1464
Size:  145.7 KB
"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!”

Old 02-22-2015, 10:08 AM   #14
mangloid

Drives: N/A
Quote:
Originally Posted by zissophiss View Post
Does anyone know if installing an aftermarket Cold Air Intake will void the Chevrolet warranty? Is the CAI from dealer best way to go?
So I had my car in the shop for 2 weeks in November for warranty work (BCM, and wiring harnesses.) They said one mechanic questioned it, and another backed me up: "This isn't an intake or motor problem, ignore the CAI. This is electrical" and they never brought it up again, or the muffler delete.