Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V8

Old 04-25-2020, 10:09 AM   #1
Valkyrie14
Valkyrie14

Drives: Chevrolet Camaro SS
LSA Pulley question.

I am planning my LSA conversion to my LS3. Here is my issue, I have a pulley kit from LSX innovations that is designed to keep most of my LS3 setup. I also bought a ZL1 crank pulley and belt. I have looked at some diagrams of ZL1 and conversion kit pulley setups and I am a little confused, okay a lot confused.

The third band on the ZL1 pulley is the 8 rib and on some diagrams it soley runs the S.C. pulley, and the other two bands run the rest of the systems. I also see some diagrams that use a longer belt to run the S.C. pulley.

Looking for experienced answer here. I’m a couple of weeks from install and now is when I want to get it all figured out before I start taking it all apart. I’m pretty sure I have what I need, just not sure how to use the ZL1 crank pulley and the conversion kit. Which will tell me whether I am buying a 6 rib or 8 rib S.C. pulley.
2014 SS LS3/LSA Supercharger, 10% Super Damper, 2.55 upper, AGP Dual Pump, ID 1050 injectors, Pegasus solid rear cradle bushings, LT Headers, Roto-Fab CAI, Elite E2 catch can, E85 corn fed, 160 Thermostat, Monster Twin Disk, MGW Short Throw shifter, Tick Clutch Master Cylinder, HP Tuners, JL Audio system.
Valkyrie14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2020, 07:52 AM   #2
Valkyrie14
Valkyrie14

Can anyone with an LSA conversion to an LS3 help me out here?

If I have a ZL1 crank pulley and 8 rib belt for the S.C. pulley, do I need a conversion kit? I have a kit that has a S.C. belt tensioner, is that all I need, or will some of the spacers and other pulleys be needed?
2014 SS LS3/LSA Supercharger, 10% Super Damper, 2.55 upper, AGP Dual Pump, ID 1050 injectors, Pegasus solid rear cradle bushings, LT Headers, Roto-Fab CAI, Elite E2 catch can, E85 corn fed, 160 Thermostat, Monster Twin Disk, MGW Short Throw shifter, Tick Clutch Master Cylinder, HP Tuners, JL Audio system.
Old 04-26-2020, 09:44 AM   #3
Shodown

Drives: 2014 ZL1
The LSA has 3 belts:

1 dedicated to the air conditioner compressor (very small 4 rib belt)

1 is the normal serpentine 6 rib belt that drives your other accessories (i.e. alternator)

Then the other is dedicated to the supercharger is an 8 rib belt.

I have not done a conversion, but if you have the the LSA idler and tensioner pulleys and brackets for the pulleys then I do not believe you need a conversion from 6 to 8 rib kit. I am not aware of any 6 to 8 rib conversion kits

I hope this pic helps:

Shodown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2020, 09:47 AM   #4
Vegas Bound
Account Suspended

Drives: 2013 Sparkly Red One
I have a 2013 with the above set up. Make sure you use the appropriate size Gates Green Belt. And swap that lower pulley, I'm running 9.5.
Vegas Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2020, 11:04 AM   #5
Valkyrie14
Valkyrie14

What I did was somewhere in between. Hammado did a great write up on the conversion, but I didn’t go with the ADM kit, so that portion didn’t apply. As I was acquiring parts for my conversion there really wasn’t a clear picture on what you need, just suppliers selling total kits.

So I bought a ZL1 pulley and belt and a LSX Innovations pulley kit. Now that I have the kit I see that it was intended to keep a 6 rib set up. I actually want to run the ZL1 pulley and want to see if the parts from the kit will work.

The above photo helps. I can’t afford to get new ZL1 pulleys if the kit pulleys won’t work. I don’t want to waste my crank bolt (not ARP) by putting on the ZL1 and then finding out it won’t work.

The easy answer would be to sell the ZL1 pulley. Not sure why I am hesitant here, does have the 8 rib as intended make a difference, everything I am being told tells me that the 6 rib won’t slip.
Old 04-26-2020, 11:16 AM   #6
Shodown

Drives: 2014 ZL1
Does anyone make an upper pulley for the LSA blower that is only a 6 rib?

Please dont understand that to be rhetorical I just havent seen them in a 6 rib only 8 or even 10.
Shodown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 09:39 PM   #7
Jkelley3209

Drives: Savage ls
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shodown View Post
Does anyone make an upper pulley for the LSA blower that is only a 6 rib?

Please dont understand that to be rhetorical I just havent seen them in a 6 rib only 8 or even 10.

Yes. They are out there. I don’t know specially who makes them. But I know a lot of the G8 guys use them. You have to trim a little bit of material off of the hub. But it’s out there. Just gotta do a little research.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jkelley3209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2020, 12:01 AM   #8
Valkyrie14
Valkyrie14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkelley3209 View Post
Yes. They are out there. I don’t know specially who makes them. But I know a lot of the G8 guys use them. You have to trim a little bit of material off of the hub. But it’s out there. Just gotta do a little research.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Griptec can specially make one for a price. I ended up just running a 6 rib and keep it in the middle of the crank and upper pulley ribs. So far so good.