Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

View Poll Results: Do cops pull you over more because you drive a Camaro?
Yes. 38 15.02%
No. 174 68.77%
They do, but because of my driving. 32 12.65%
Other 9 3.56%
Voters: 253. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-09-2013, 10:22 PM   #43
Fieryfight

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2LT IBM Convertible
20 with no tickets and I pretty much do 10 over the limit everywhere but I pay attention and keep the limit in areas I know cops like to chill.
Fieryfight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 10:32 PM   #44
knowitman
Camaro fan since birth

Drives: 2013 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmerGA View Post
Only been pulled over once in my Camaro. Nice cop - said I was doing 81 in a 65, but I had my cruise set on 72. After a brief conversation about that, he then proceeded to ask me several questions about the car. Then he told me just to watch my speed and let me go, so.... I answered "Other".
The only other time I have ever been pulled over was pretty much your exact situation. I had my cruise set on 69 in 65 and was being passed. The car that passed immediately left the interstate when he saw the cop. The cop pulled me over since he was already out with his lights flashing. He said he caught me doing 84. I acted in a respectable manner and he just told me to have a nice weekend without even giving me a warning.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk 4
knowitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 10:37 PM   #45
2012-1822

Drives: Black ZL1
Been pulled over one time in the 14 months of having my car. I dumped my clutch and lit up the tires on a fairly major highway leaving a light when all of the sudden I noticed a sheriff on a motorcycle one block down. He saw me turning again and beat me to it, he was pulled over waiting on me once I completed the turn.

But he just looked at my license and insurance card, didn't run them, and let me go. I got lucky.

That was the one time I've done something like that in this car, I baby it all the time, except on the track, so I don't have to worry about it.
Old 09-09-2013, 10:43 PM   #46
Badass Blue

Drives: 2013 BRM 2LT/RS A6, 2005 Suburban
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaFisch View Post
I am 17 years old. Granted we young ones are more reckless I have been pulled over 8 times in almost two years of driving and at least 5 out of the 8 weren't things I did. Anyways, today the local po-po five 0h pulled me over initially for rolling a stop sign.. I don't want to sound bratty but my parents are both lawyers and have managed to get me out of tight situations the other times and I am sure without a doubt they will this time as well. (seeing as I didn't even roll the stop sign)
Where to start? No one gets pulled over 8 times in two years without having some culpability (ask your lawyer parents). You have to change your attitude around this before something really bad happens to you...you are just rolling along without any sense of personal responsibility and your parents are *not* going to be able to help.

If my kids had been pulled over *twice* the first two years they had a license they would have been walking.

Make your car legal, pay attention to what's around you. Every single time I have received a ticket in over 30 years of driving was because I did something dumb in front of a cop. If you roll up to a stop sign and see a cop, take the time to fully stop. If you roll up, and don't see the cop and he sees you, how can you blame him for stopping you when you roll through? It's on you for not paying attention.

Oh, and stop calling them the po-po five-oh. Call them officer or sir or ma'am. Less attitude and more respect will serve you well when it's nine times in two years.
Badass Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 10:49 PM   #47
FL1CK
Switchin' n Twitchin'

Drives: 2011 Camaro
I don't know that the 3rd answer covers this but it wasn't because I was in a Camaro, it's because I didn't want to get side swiped by a PT cruiser so I passed him... a little fast.
Old 09-09-2013, 10:53 PM   #48
moabtdog

Drives: 2011 1LT Camaro covertible RS
As a concealed weapon carrier (legally). I don't really want to have to explain to Johnny Law that I have a pistol in my pocket.

Good motivation to abide by traffic and speed laws.
moabtdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 10:55 PM   #49
JCunningham

Drives: 2017 2SS M6
no and im surprised because iv passed some going way over the limit (not on purpose) 65 in a 45 once. usually 66 in a 55.
real ZL1 wheels and brakes, 285/305 Michelin Pilot Super Sports, Pray ported Intake manifold, Soler Throttle Body, Rotofab intake, EFI Tuning Flex fuel kit, full American Racing Headers Exhaust, 1 7/8" w/ cats H pipe and mufflers. Full 1LE suspension, with BMR adjustable sway bars and links, GM aluminum cradle bushings, Hurst shifter with lighter reverse spring, TWM shifter knob, Tick level 1 transmission. I should have bought a ZL1
JCunningham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 11:00 PM   #50
upflying

Drives: '86 Monte Carlo SS
Pulling you over just because you are driving a Camaro is profiling and is considered camacist.
Last time I was pulled over I was in an Accord and I was speeding.
upflying is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 11:04 PM   #51
Chevrolade
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
3x within last 2 weeks

(No front plate )
Chevrolade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 08:50 AM   #52
NoleLife

Drives: 2013 2SS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaFisch View Post
Except I pay for my insurance, I pay for my gas and everything else. I won the car in a lottery.. so no.. Not "spoiled kid." Lucky that my parents are good at their profession? Perhaps
Haha - congrats, you have a semblance of responsibility. I'm curious though, if your insurance that you pay for on your own and "everything else" is done with your own money or some sort of allowance? Because I'm 26 with a squeaky clean driving record and my insurance is 140 a month, gas is ~120-150 a month, phone is 110 a month and those are the cheap bills. So if you are 17, I'd be interested to know what you do where you can swing 400+ a month and still have money to do things you want.

Side note, if you are explaining the things you have by saying your parents are good at their profession, then that means they give you a lot.... The question of whether you're spoiled or not is a matter of how much you are given, and the value of those items. A little self awareness goes a long way.

As for the topic of this thread.... No. I drive an SS and live in a College Town. I don't waste any time taking off from lights, not even when around cops. I drive the car responsibly and safely, without driving like an old woman on Sunday morning and I have only been pulled over once (Rolling stop in downtown after just picking it up and learning the stick shift -- no ticket). I know several others with camaros and none of them have been pulled over once. If you got pulled, it's because you broke the law. Either stop breaking the law, or accept the fact that there are consequences for having "fun" and stop looking for a scapegoat.
NoleLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 09:07 AM   #53
JammerJohn

Drives: 45th Anniversary SS
The last cop that pulled me over complained how long it took him to catch up with me. Ha Ha.
JammerJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 09:22 AM   #54
PeeBee

Drives: "Bee" ZL585, Dark Blue Suburban.
Pulled over 5 times so far.

1 time coming back from the technical control to register it, and it was on UK plates. Had to call a tow truck as they said it wasn't "properly registered".

Then 3 times because I drove it on a license plate that had another car I just sold registered to it (we do have personal license plates but need to declare which car is registered under it). When you sell a car you have 4 months to register the new car on it, but the plate can be transfered. Anyway, pulled over 3 times in almost the same amount of months. "Sir, we checked your license plate... your car doesn't look like a black Range Rover". Erhm... NO

And two weeks ago they pulled me over for an alcohol control, and let almost all other cars there pass by checking the car and all paperwork until they were done with me.
PeeBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 09:25 AM   #55
JR 1

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS Convertible
Cops absolutely pull me over more because of the Camaro. I have been ticketed 3 times in the last month! I don't have tinted windows, a loud exhaust, or anything conspicuous or illegal on the car either. Yes I was speeding, but speed limits in Detroit are a joke. If you drive the speed limit and the highway you will get run over and flipped off. I drove the same way in my last car and I think I got pulled over once in 6 years. It was a boring non descript sedan. People who say the car doesn't matter are full of crap. I have had all kinds of cars and there is a huge difference. I had a brown Cadillac with a 425 when I was a teenager and I drove that thing like a maniac, but it looked like an old man's car and I never got pulled over once.

My take away is if you want a cool car you better learn to love the speed limit (which kind of defeats the purpose of the car), and if you want to speed then get yourself a brown sedan. They are invisible to the LEOs!
JR 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 09:33 AM   #56
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Drives: 17 Cruze RS, 07 G6 GT, 99 Astro
Quote:
Originally Posted by JR 1 View Post
Cops absolutely pull me over more because of the Camaro. I have been ticketed 3 times in the last month! I don't have tinted windows, a loud exhaust, or anything conspicuous or illegal on the car either. Yes I was speeding, but speed limits in Detroit are a joke. If you drive the speed limit and the highway you will get run over and flipped off. I drove the same way in my last car and I think I got pulled over once in 6 years. It was a boring non descript sedan. People who say the car doesn't matter are full of crap. I have had all kinds of cars and there is a huge difference. I had a brown Cadillac with a 425 when I was a teenager and I drove that thing like a maniac, but it looked like an old man's car and I never got pulled over once.

My take away is if you want a cool car you better learn to love the speed limit (which kind of defeats the purpose of the car), and if you want to speed then get yourself a brown sedan. They are invisible to the LEOs!
Well just saying I have owned 4 Camaros and a 65 Stingray and the only two cars I have been pulled over in were a 74 Vega Station Wagon and a plain Jane 76 Malibu. So you are saying that 75% of th people responding to this pole are full of crap