Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

Phastek Performance

Old 03-10-2017, 10:15 PM   #1
Artos

Drives: A10 LT4
Tire & Windshield protection...

I'm normally not one to pay for any addys above & over the car when buying a new vehicle...after all, they wouldn't offer it if it didn't make them $$$$, but gotta ask the C6 gang.

Not so worried about the $600 windshield with the limited miles I'll cover, but these high dollar tires got me scratching my head...one nail / road hazard will cover the $800 cost.

Has any new ZL1 owner signed on??
Artos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 10:24 PM   #2
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artos View Post
I'm normally not one to pay for any addys above & over the car when buying a new vehicle...after all, they wouldn't offer it if it didn't make them $$$$, but gotta ask the C6 gang.

Not so worried about the $600 windshield with the limited miles I'll cover, but these high dollar tires got me scratching my head...one nail / road hazard will cover the $800 cost.

Has any new ZL1 owner signed on??
$800? for road hazard protection? The tires are about $300 +/- a piece.

And I think Tirerack includes road hazard protection for free on tires purchased from them.
Old 03-10-2017, 10:26 PM   #3
MoreSpeed

Drives: 2017 Hyper Blue A10 ZL1
The biggest hazard that I see for these tires will be my right foot. Not sure hazard protection covers that.

Sold 2010 997 GT3, 2016 WRX, 2006 997 C2S, 2003 996 C4S, 2001 Boxster S, 1997 E420 AMG
etc..
MoreSpeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 10:37 PM   #4
Artos

Yeah...guess I'm not looking at it right.

I drive 300-400+ miles per day on my company truck & am always dealing with tires / hazards, but I'm in the oil patch & no telling where I end up getting stabbed.

I plan to hit these back roads during my break in but likely picking them up on location vs the hwy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Wyndham View Post
$800? for road hazard protection? The tires are about $300 +/- a piece.

And I think Tirerack includes road hazard protection for free on tires purchased from them.
Old 03-10-2017, 10:39 PM   #5
Mr. Wyndham

Quote:
Yeah...guess I'm not looking at it right.

I drive 300-400+ miles per day on my company truck & am always dealing with tires / hazards, but I'm in the oil patch & no telling where I end up getting stabbed.

I plan to hit these back roads during my break in but likely picking them up on location vs the hwy.
Gotcha. Well...I've had three tires in 5 years pickup screws...but luckily 2/3 were at the end of their useful lives/season...so I wasn't sad about replacing them. The other, was at 100 mi brand new, and my dealer replaced it as a courtesy.

But sounds like our regions are very different. Still think $800 sounds like a lot...unless it also includes the wheels...those are far more expensive.
Old 03-10-2017, 11:08 PM   #6
Artos

Yup...includes the rims, but to be honest amigo I never thought about them getting hurt.

I would have to find me a new pot hole & have it jump out at me or some evasive action...gotta admit, that stings a little thinking about it!!
Old 03-10-2017, 11:25 PM   #7
KLR ZL1
H-Town Camaro Club Member

Drives: 17 Hyper Blue Metallic KLR-ZL1
Quote:
Yup...includes the rims, but to be honest amigo I never thought about them getting hurt.

I would have to find me a new pot hole & have it jump out at me or some evasive action...gotta admit, that stings a little thinking about it!!
All it takes is some idiot to change lanes on you, then you react and hit the curb. Happened to a friend of mine. But then again I had 3 different dealers ruin my rims on my 5G ZL1. But I did not buy the wheel warranty. 2 of the dealer's replaced the wheels that they damaged. The third they would not fess up to it. They even tried to cover it with a black marker.
Old 03-10-2017, 11:40 PM   #8
Naturday13

Drives: 2017 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoreSpeed View Post
The biggest hazard that I see for these tires will be my right foot. Not sure hazard protection covers that.
Haha! Thanks for the laugh!
Old 03-10-2017, 11:51 PM   #9
Artos

Well...thanks debby downer.

That has me thinking...the $800 does cover 5yrs!! Ugghhh...any idea what a replacement rim would cost??

Still, I go back and realize they do not offer these warrantees unless they made money on them. I haven't bought a brand new vehicle in so long, I had no idea of the ringer they would put me through.

Here is what else I got pinched with along with the $600 front windshield & $800 Tires at the dealer that I declined:

Paint Protection Film: $299
Wincos Window Tint: $180
Xzillon Paint & Fabric Protection: $795

~~~~~~~~~~~~

I do think I will be getting the top shelf 3M window tint from another source although it will cost a little more.

My only other addy I want to consider with is additional theft protection, but really don't know much about it or if it is worth considering.

Sure Wish my son would roll in from college for spring break soon...this old guy is getting sleepy!! LOL...

Quote:
Originally Posted by KLR ZL1 View Post
All it takes is some idiot to change lanes on you, then you react and hit the curb. Happened to a friend of mine. But then again I had 3 different dealers ruin my rims on my 5G ZL1. But I did not buy the wheel warranty. 2 of the dealer's replaced the wheels that they damaged. The third they would not fess up to it. They even tried to cover it with a black marker.
Old 03-11-2017, 01:37 AM   #10
Hellobatman

Drives: 2017 Ford F250, 2019 Lincoln Navi
When we got my wife's v we opted for the tire package. $1200 I believe, but damn am I happy we did, every tire has been replaced in a little over a year due to everything and anything you can imagine. It's her dd so it's justifiable, I probably won't do it. We have technically made money at this point.
Old 03-11-2017, 02:08 AM   #11
STUNNAH
"BEASTM*DE"

Drives: 2013 ZL1 Black
What happened to the 3yr/36,000 mile warranty???Your insurance should cover the windshield and the tires/rims...I would be interested in an extended warranty (bumper to bumper)...Part of making their money is selling you shit you don't need...

STUNNAH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 09:02 AM   #12
Infern0
Bring It

Drives: In Between
I didn't do it.

I didn't do it on the 5th gen in 2009 either when the tires were $600 a piece. I got a nail on the first day. Dealer was kind enough to backdate the protection for the original $500 price.
Infern0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 10:13 AM   #13
Mr. Wyndham

Quote:
That has me thinking...the $800 does cover 5yrs!! Ugghhh...any idea what a replacement rim would cost??

Still, I go back and realize they do not offer these warrantees unless they made money on them. I haven't bought a brand new vehicle in so long, I had no idea of the ringer they would put me through.
They sure do make money on it. If you have just one claim over those 5 years, they made a couple hundred bucks....if they have 10 claims over 100 people....they've made more.

I didn't buy this insurance either time I had a car, but I also know where I drive, and the likelihood of damage due to debris is low. Most potholes I encounter are at low speeds....BUT - a long time ago in a Cobalt far far away...I went over what I thought was a benign dip in the road, and it ended up bending my wheel. Had to replace it. Nothing of the sort happened before, or since.

ZL1 wheels are going to retail for $900-1000, and you could possibly get one for a deal online around $650-750. They're forged aluminum 20" wheels...certainly not cheap.

STUNNAH - the 36,000 mile warranty won't cover things that happen due to debris/potholes on the road. And insurance sure would cover it...if the cost exceeds your deductible...and then you risk higher premiums.

Just to be clear, I haven't ever bought one of these plans, so I'm not endorsing it. But the numbers are what they are...
Old 03-11-2017, 12:37 PM   #14
Artos

I'll likely take your lead & pass as well...my ins deduct is $1k so will just have to pony up if anything major happens. Appreciate the 411.