Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetics and Lighting Modification Discussions

Old 12-15-2012, 09:41 AM   #1
ChrisBlair
Buick 455 Fan

Drives: 1970 Buick, 2012 1SS LS3
Tis the season...to scratch cars in parking lots

about a half dozen, diagonal and parallel scratches in my paint on the corner of my bumper, driver's side, right above a curlie-q scratch on the 'lip' of the bumper were waiting for me as I returned from X-Mas shopping this morning

I park away from everyone, and I chose a corner spot where there's no spot next to me on the right, no other cars around it for about 50 yards.

Looks like somebody stopped to check out the car, walked around it, and rubbed the paint as they rounded the car. Maybe a loose belt on an overcoat, or maybe a shopping bag in their hand, or little junior was holding dad's hand on the walk-around

Awesome. Did you know that dupli-color paint thinner doesn't thin dupli-color touch-up paint? I didn't either until five minutes ago. I'll be buffing the bumper as soon as the touchup paint dries....
Old 12-15-2012, 09:44 AM   #2
RubyCamaro
Jan

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1LT Red Jewel tintcoat
Sorry this happened to your baby. :( Hope the touch-up comes out okay.
Old 12-15-2012, 09:55 AM   #3
ChrisBlair
Buick 455 Fan

Oh, always does, it's just the effort that I'll have to put in before it snows tomorrow was not planned on!

Thanks though
Old 12-15-2012, 10:08 AM   #4
joeyisapimp
Control > Speed

Drives: 2010 Black LS
no matter how hard we try to protect our rides in parking lots, not everyone can come out a winner... I too have had my parking lot mishap - a clean and noticeable door ding right on the drivers door body line. sorry it had to happen to you man :(
Old 12-15-2012, 10:20 AM   #5
CamaroKevin

Drives: 2011 Chevy Camaro 2LT RS SIM
It's disgusting to hear stuff like that. Like a lot of people on here, I park far far away. I feel your pain :(. Sorry that had to happen.
CamaroKevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 10:20 AM   #6
GaBoy25

Drives: 2010 SS/RS M6/2500HD Lmm LTZ
That sucks dude. And it's going to get more dangerous until Christmas. I went to walmart last night and ended up parking in Mexico. It'll be safer there

2500HD (with a couple parts)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coyotekiller View Post
I wonder if this could be why my car idles like its retarded...
GaBoy25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 11:25 AM   #7
Cody2399

Drives: 2014 Camaro 2SS, 2004 Dodge Ram 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by GaBoy25 View Post
That sucks dude. And it's going to get more dangerous until Christmas. I went to walmart last night and ended up parking in Mexico. It'll be safer there
Cody2399 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 11:42 AM   #8
ChrisBlair
Buick 455 Fan

lol

I buffed out almost all the scratches. Started to get a wee bit nervous on a few of the deeper ones. There's three you can still see, but they are 1" long instead of 3" long, and you have to be about a foot away to see them. That's as good as it will get until Spring, I think

The funny thing is, where I was parked about 50 feet from where I was hit as in "crashed into" while parked, during X-Mas shopping, in like 2001. My '70 Buick. Somebody hit it hard enough to drive the all-steel bumper through the fender. Merry Christmas, Merry Christmas...
Old 12-15-2012, 11:46 AM   #9
dkp2LT

Drives: '11 2SS, '11 C6 GS, '04 MDX
Tis the season to do all shopping on-line!
dkp2LT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 06:16 AM   #10
ChrisBlair
Buick 455 Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkp2LT View Post
Tis the season to do all shopping on-line!
Still not okay with this. Every few months I read about how security has been breached at some place, and info has been stolen. I never give my cell number out, but I have used it to buy a few select things online, and now I get advertisements texts and calls

Scratches I can buff. Aggravation at unpredictable times? No thanks. last time I got an unsolicited contact was in training at work. Work policy is to turn phones off during training. My policy is that my folks are elderly and have serious health issues: I might be needed right away so the phone stays on, 'work policy' can go straight to hell with a box of girl scout cookies for old Legba to munch on. Yeah, well phone rings and it was a cold call, marketing nonsense
Old 12-16-2012, 06:31 AM   #11
kostnkost
Roof expert detail noob

Drives: 2013 BRM 2LT RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisBlair View Post
Still not okay with this. Every few months I read about how security has been breached at some place, and info has been stolen. I never give my cell number out, but I have used it to buy a few select things online, and now I get advertisements texts and calls

Scratches I can buff. Aggravation at unpredictable times? No thanks. last time I got an unsolicited contact was in training at work. Work policy is to turn phones off during training. My policy is that my folks are elderly and have serious health issues: I might be needed right away so the phone stays on, 'work policy' can go straight to hell with a box of girl scout cookies for old Legba to munch on. Yeah, well phone rings and it was a cold call, marketing nonsense
Caller ID is on most phones. If the call is blocked, or I do not recognize the number, I let it go to voice mail.

At least that is my way of doing things when I am 4 stories up on a roof working.
Old 12-16-2012, 06:54 AM   #12
Smart Line

Drives: 2011 Blue1SSRS 623RWHP, 02 vette
can i get a little more detail on scratch removal please

but mine are on the hood from her earrings

Team LS-3
Smart Line is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 07:10 AM   #13
ChrisBlair
Buick 455 Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by kostnkost View Post
Caller ID is on most phones. If the call is blocked, or I do not recognize the number, I let it go to voice mail.

At least that is my way of doing things when I am 4 stories up on a roof working.
Caller ID. I'm glad your personal life affords you that luxury

Mine doesn't.

If you can't understand that I might be needed at a moments' notice for my loved ones and that their phones aren't the only ones that might be calling to tell me that, then I'm glad you've been fortunate enough to not be in my situation

I didn't ask for this horrible existence in which the ringing telephone actually terrifies me, but that's the life I have been presented with, and there's no one to help me out living it, it's all me.

Comparing my situation to yours is trivializing some serious responsibilities I have- I'm worried about life and death, and you tell me about how you get around an annoyance on a job.

Please drop the "Hey Chris I'll clue you in" approach to cell phones, I have responsibilities that I cannot neglect, and arguing with me over this is really going to piss me off
Old 12-16-2012, 07:13 AM   #14
kostnkost
Roof expert detail noob

Drives: 2013 BRM 2LT RS
My bad I thought all cell phones have the number pop up on their screen