Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 11-20-2012, 09:35 AM   #15
eggydoo

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
i've locked myself out before by leaving keys in the trunk.........

Luckily I had onstar to unlock
eggydoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 09:48 AM   #16
jrisebo

Drives: 2011 Camaro RS "Bumble C"
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZZ View Post
Didn't keep Onstar after watching the Hennessy videos I was a bit paranoid on getting it.

Wondering if it will be cheaper ordering Onstar or just getting a new key somehow
Whats the paranoia about onstar??? Unless your doing something illegal and dont want to be traced, who cares? Plus you wouldnt be in this predicament now!
Old 11-20-2012, 09:49 AM   #17
OnStar Advisor

Drives: Camaro
Quote:
Honestly I have looked around my entire house under couch cushions searched the interior mechanisms of my recliner searched the heat vent searched the dirty clothes pile the spare bedroom another vehicle I drove in yesterday. I even searched a garbage can.

As for how it was armed. I simply walked in my house yesterday after lunch put my keys somewhere after arming the vehicle with the spare set on the passenger seat.

I called Onstar without access to the blue button inside the vehicle they cannot give me a subscription they said and referred me to GM Customer Service. General Motors said I am covered and wanted to send a Locksmith out. I am not going to allow someone to use one of those tools for my vehicle. It may potentially damage the paint and lining.

Right now unless Onstar is willing to take my VIN and information and let me subscribe while my vehicle is locked I have no option but to call the Dealership after searching for a few more hours and having a new key made.

Sorry to hear about being locked out of your vehicle ZZZ. Unfortunately without connecting through the Blue OnStar Button there is no way for us to connect to the vehicle to send the signals. It doesn’t have a connection through your VIN it's the unit itself that we need to activate. Hopefully you can find a locksmith that can unlock it without any damages. If you need any assistance locating a locksmith OnStar can locate one in your area for you.

-Jessica, OnStar Advisor
Social Media Team
OnStar Advisor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 09:54 AM   #18
HDRDTD

Drives: 2013 Triple Black ZL1 Vert M6 ECF
Quote:
Honestly I have looked around my entire house under couch cushions searched the interior mechanisms of my recliner searched the heat vent searched the dirty clothes pile the spare bedroom another vehicle I drove in yesterday. I even searched a garbage can.

As for how it was armed. I simply walked in my house yesterday after lunch put my keys somewhere after arming the vehicle with the spare set on the passenger seat.

I called Onstar without access to the blue button inside the vehicle they cannot give me a subscription they said and referred me to GM Customer Service. General Motors said I am covered and wanted to send a Locksmith out. I am not going to allow someone to use one of those tools for my vehicle. It may potentially damage the paint and lining.

Right now unless Onstar is willing to take my VIN and information and let me subscribe while my vehicle is locked I have no option but to call the Dealership after searching for a few more hours and having a new key made.
IIRC,new keys are not cheap by any stretch of the imagination.

Don't be surprised if a new key programmed for your car is around $150.00
HDRDTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 09:56 AM   #19
Jalberdi99

Drives: 2014 Summit White 2SS/RS M6
how much is a new windonw?
Old 11-20-2012, 09:57 AM   #20
HDRDTD

Drives: 2013 Triple Black ZL1 Vert M6 ECF
When you do get a new set of keys or find your old ones, maybe you should get one of those old 'clapper' or whistle gadgets to add to the keychain.

We all lose things from time to time,but what I hate is when I'm sitting at my desk, put something like a pen down, turn around IN my seat to do something, turn back around WITHOUT leaving my seat,and can't find the darn thing!
HDRDTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 09:58 AM   #21
tramtwo

Drives: 2021 1LE
This sucks. If there is no rush, then don't force anything. The keys will show up. As good ole mom used to say when I "lost" something, "well it didn't just grow legs and walk away." Relax, you're already late, slow down. Take a break from looking. I always find stuff after a good break.
tramtwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 09:58 AM   #22
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
Quote:
Originally Posted by TooCool5 View Post
I remember A C5 member had the police unlock his Camaro at a show by sliding
a slim jim under the drivers door glass all the way to the unlock button on the
console and unlocking it.
Of course this does not work on cars with the unlock buttons on the door.
A long enough version might be able to operate the unlock button on the opposite side door.

FWIW, never leave any keys inside the car, either in the interior or in the trunk. Keep the spare key in your pocket except when you need it to get at the main key that you locked yourself away from.

FWIW #2, if the remote unlock is on a fob that's separate from the key, don't keep them both on the same keyring.

At one time or another, I've managed to lock keys on the wrong side of car doors, house doors, and car doors when I wasn't at home. Poo happens to us all from time to time. And duplicates, even extra duplicates, are cheaper than dealership or locksmith calls (not to mention lots faster in solving the problem).

Norm

Last edited by Norm Peterson; 11-20-2012 at 10:09 AM.
Norm Peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 10:14 AM   #23
Scalded Dog

Drives: 2011 1LT
I long for the day when the custodian's retractable metal keychain becomes fashionable, or at least acceptable, for all...
Scalded Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 10:18 AM   #24
ZZZ

Drives: 10 SS Camaro
So what do you guys wager is my best bet right now? Dealership? How long does it usually take to have a new key made?
ZZZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 10:22 AM   #25
Jalberdi99

Quote:
So what do you guys wager is my best bet right now? Dealership? How long does it usually take to have a new key made?
break the small right back window and get something long enough to push the unlock button. that window can not cost no more than $75. or pay the dealer $150 for a new key
Old 11-20-2012, 10:27 AM   #26
LnLSS
Mid-Florida Camaro Club

Drives: 2015 Red Hot ZL1
Quarter glass cost over $500 don't do that.
LnLSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 10:29 AM   #27
Jalberdi99

Quote:
Originally Posted by LnLSS View Post
Quarter glass cost over $500 don't do that.

jesus crist. $500 for that little thing? how much for the big one $2000?
Old 11-20-2012, 10:33 AM   #28
Soulrÿche

Drives: 2lt Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jalberdi99 View Post
how much is a new windonw?
/this.

ow.. good luck

Last edited by Soulrÿche; 11-20-2012 at 10:34 AM. Reason: didnt read past the last post... double ow
Soulrÿche is offline   Reply With Quote