Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum

Old 04-14-2023, 05:01 PM   #1
PaulsSS

Drives: 15SS Camaro
Remote stopped working can't program new ones

One of the remotes stopped unlocking locking but still works to start the car. Fine I thought remote went bad ordered 2 new ones. I can't program them, I get an error service theft det system. 1 old remote still works fully 1 will only start the car. Anyone have any ideas before I go to the dealer for wallet abuse?
PaulsSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2023, 11:39 PM   #2
chevy pilot

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS A6
Have you trying this.
http://www.tampabaycamaros.com/repla...amaro-key-fob/
chevy pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2023, 07:14 AM   #3
KenKat

Drives: 2014 2LT RS Summit White
I’m going to assume you tried a new battery on the original remote that is no longer working? If not, that’s the first step.
KenKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2023, 05:05 PM   #4
PaulsSS

Tried new batts and new key fobs. 1 original KF still works full functions, 1 key fob will only start the car and when I try to add new key fobs I get service theft deterrent message. I didn't try the rest method because I'm afraid then nothing will work. I guess I'm going to call local lock smith 1st then go to the dealer if he can't fix it. Its a 15 so I don't know if the reset method will work, I read that may only work on 12's and lower.
Old 04-16-2023, 06:12 PM   #5
Whoomba

Drives: 2024Camaro 2SS CE Convertible
Sounds like a couple of things going on. Maybe that one button is bad. I’ve had that. I have a 14 and thought only dealers and locksmiths could program them.
Whoomba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2023, 07:32 PM   #6
CAMARO_HEAVEN
Big John

Drives: Wife 2013 Camaro 2SSRS / ME?
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulsSS View Post
One of the remotes stopped unlocking locking but still works to start the car. Fine I thought remote went bad ordered 2 new ones. I can't program them, I get an error service theft det system. 1 old remote still works fully 1 will only start the car. Anyone have any ideas before I go to the dealer for wallet abuse?
I bought a 15 SS it only came with one key and no remote!
I bought a pair of new aftermarket flip keys had them cut them also with just a picture of my key. Received them easy to program. Put working key in ignition turned to on position without starting car waited for security lock light to go off. Turned ignition off pulled key out and put unprogramed flip key in turned to run position waited for security lock light to go off.
Turned to off position took key out of ignition. Put new flip key in turned to run then crank and car started. Turned car off got out of car locked it. Then tried all functions worked flawlessly. Under $50 for 2 switchblade fobs with keys cut.
CAMARO_HEAVEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2023, 07:19 PM   #7
Mr_Draco

Drives: 2SS/RS
Quote:
If you have tried programing new remotes and get that error, then it is possible the module that controls the alarm has gone bad and needs replacing. It's rare these go bad but it could happen.
Mr_Draco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2023, 09:39 AM   #8
PaulsSS

I'm meeting a locksmith today and hes going to look at it. I'll post up the out come. I have my eye on a WS6, might be time to move on if this needs a thousand dollar repair.
Old 04-18-2023, 12:38 PM   #9
TooCool5

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1LS 3.6 LLT V6 325 HP
Quote:
I'm meeting a locksmith today and hes going to look at it. I'll post up the out come. I have my eye on a WS6, might be time to move on if this needs a thousand dollar repair.
Did you try re seating the ECM connector. Sometimes the pins get corroded.
Old 04-18-2023, 06:30 PM   #10
PaulsSS

Lock guy wouldn't touch it, said the 13-15 Camaro must go back to the dealer. He had a snapon scanner type thing that gave a warning about it completely disabling the car. I tried the 3x10 min thing but it doesn't work in this car just get theft deterrent message. So back to the dealer it goes.
Old 04-18-2023, 08:21 PM   #11
KenKat

Drives: 2014 2LT RS Summit White
Quote:
Lock guy wouldn't touch it, said the 13-15 Camaro must go back to the dealer. He had a snapon scanner type thing that gave a warning about it completely disabling the car. I tried the 3x10 min thing but it doesn't work in this car just get theft deterrent message. So back to the dealer it goes.
I had a locksmith cut me a new key and program my fob in about 5 minutes for my 2014 fairly recently. So not sure what is going on with yours. Hope the dealer can get it straightened out.
KenKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2023, 08:59 PM   #12
PaulsSS

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenKat View Post
I had a locksmith cut me a new key and program my fob in about 5 minutes for my 2014 fairly recently. So not sure what is going on with yours. Hope the dealer can get it straightened out.
Lock guy said no problem if its the system is accepting keys but once its at 5 keys it will not accept any changes and only the dealer can reset it. But who knows? I'll call around tomorrow see if I can find a dealer that actually knows the system. I know when I bought the car the dealer couldn't program any new keys but they did figure it out after a few hrs....I want to avoid something like that again. Find someone who actually knows how the system works and how to reset it. I hate to say this but the car has 140k on it and drives looks like new. This is the 1st issue we had with it but if its going to need over a 1000 dollar repair I'm going to drive it as is then if it doesn't start or key stops working its going bye bye. I was thinking about disconnecting the battery for 5 mins but I'm afraid of making matters worse. That trick fixed the radio display when that stopped working. The dealer wanted 1000 to replace the radio and I decided noway. They have you by the nuts because everything has to be programed into the car to work. Two weeks later I read to simply disconnect the batt for 5 mins resets the radio display. It worked!

Last edited by PaulsSS; 04-18-2023 at 10:42 PM.
Old 04-18-2023, 09:37 PM   #13
Camaro2ss2010

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SSRS M6
Quote:
Lock guy said no problem if its the system is accepting keys but once its at 5 keys it will not accept any changes and only the dealer can reset it. But who knows? I'll call around tomorrow see if I can find a dealer that actually knows the system. I know when I bought the car the dealer couldn't program any new keys but they did figure it out after a few hrs....I want to avoid something like that again. Find someone who actually knows how the system works and how to reset it.
When I got my car it only had one switchblade. I had one of my locksmith friends cut and program the new one. He also removed the other existing remotes programmed that I did not have. Mine is a 2010 so I’m not sure if that makes a difference or not. He did have to have a computer with a certain program in order to do it though.
ECS supercharger, custom ground cam, ported throttle body, long tube headers, aeromotive fuel pump, fic injectors, ATI super damper, Corsa Extreme exhaust, elite engineering catch can and many other things.
Camaro2ss2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2023, 09:52 PM   #14
PaulsSS

Yeah the older Camaros you can but the 15 you can't do that. You can program up to 5 keys but thats it.