Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 12-27-2018, 09:38 PM   #43
arpad_m

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS A8
This is all going to be just my opinion, but I think the exterior of the pre-refresh 6th gen is nearly perfect, it would only need a couple small tweaks for more practicality:
- improve visibility by lowering the belt line a bit
- bring the roof line up a bit for extra headroom and visibility
- redesign the taillight assembly to allow for a larger trunk opening, maybe even split it up and place the inner segments on the trunk lid
- people want larger mirrors, give them a bit larger mirrors (unnecessary IMO, but safety is always a selling point)

In addition, I'd make a few internal changes:
- increase trunk space just a bit, rear seat legroom is more than sufficient for this type of car and the headroom issue would already be taken care of
- adjust the center console design a bit to provide more storage and easier access
- add more optional tech such as an all digital instrument cluster, front/360 cameras, adaptive cruise control, more configurable HUD, integrate the infotainment screen into the dash instead of the current tacked-on look

Current engine choices are fine, maybe with a little power bump, and the LT4 should be given a blower with more reserve.

Tire choices are abysmal, whether people want extreme performance summer or all-season, Goodyear or Pirelli or Michelin or Continental, they should be able to order it.

These would all be doable and should not increase costs too much.

I get where you guys are going with the Bentley and the Buick Avista concept, but in my novice opinion a car like those or an Aston Martin or a BMW etc. would no longer be a Camaro. A very nice car, but not a Camaro.

The distinctive, aggressive look of the Camaro is a heritage to be cherished and not morphed into a generic, me-too, this-is-supposed-to-sell-well-'cause-everyone-else-is-doing-it lookalike that (unfortunately) already appears to be the design direction. Basically, it needs to be someone's dream again, rather than the output of a risk-averse corporate committee design process. Dodge is to be commended here for sticking to their ancient, but absolutely distinctive design for the Challenger---also, who ever said that every single model from an automaker in every segment (sedan, performance, SUV, truck) has to look nearly the same, think Silverado/Malibu/Cruze/Camaro frontends...

Now it is absolutely true that cars and especially sports and muscle cars aren't what the mainstream is appreciating these days, so most of these changes are somewhat unlikely. Yet I think if the practicality issues that every single magazine and youtube review brings up are addressed, the price wouldn't be a problem, there is already a Camaro available from $26k to $76k, and a sub-$30k V8 model with 500 hp is a pipe dream.

Magnuson TVS 2300 80mm pulley | Kooks 1 7/8" LT headers | JRE smooth idle terminator cam | LT4 FS & injectors | TSP forged pistons & rods
JMS PowerMAX | DSX flex fuel kit | Roto-Fab CAI | Soler 95mm LT5 TB | 1LE wheels | 1LE brakes | BMR rear cradle lockout | JRE custom tune

1100 - 1/30/18 | 2000 - 1/31/18
3000 - 2/06/18 TPW 2/26/18
3400 - 2/19/18 | 3800 - 2/26/18
4300 - 2/27/18 | 4B00 - 3/01/18
4200 - 3/05/18 | 4800 - 3/14/18
5000 - 3/16/18 | 6000 - 3/19/18
arpad_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2018, 07:58 AM   #44
DWR

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
I will say one good thing about the pricing of the SS... ...it keeps all the young and reckless teenagers from owning them, getting out on the highway thinking they're invincible and plowing a 455 HP machine into a minivan filled with an innocent family.

There seems to be alot less irresponsible owners than there were with the 4th Gen V8's...

And the 6th Gen does offer reasonable performance at lower prices, the 3.6 V6 is quite a machine and the I4 shouldnt be taken lightly either.

In truth the SS is WAY overpowered for the street.
Agreed... shoot the V6 has THE SAME hp as the 4th gen ss!! Also, in all honesty even the v6 and arguably the I4 are overpowered for the street.... I mean does anyone honestly NEED over ~130hp (unless its a truck or something to that nature)? The only real "issue" with the V6 is that it doesn't sound like a V8.... which in my opinion is why HS kids (mainly guys) don't typically want it.

Nope! but screw it I love my beast!
2007 Toyota Corolla S -- Traded
2007 Colorado I-5 3.7L z85 2wd ext. cab --Totaled
2004 Silverado single cab 4.8l v-8 2wd -- Traded
2018 Camaro SS 1LE -- Current DD
DWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2018, 08:04 AM   #45
DWR

Also.... does anyone else not see a picture in OP's post?
Old 12-28-2018, 08:34 AM   #46
Sesiom Summers

Drives: 94 Z28 / 01 Z28 / 2015 50th GT
Send a message via MSN to Sesiom Summers
Quote:
Originally Posted by DWR View Post
Also.... does anyone else not see a picture in OP's post?
Ohh crap...
Old 12-28-2018, 08:42 AM   #47
DWR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil350 View Post
The problem I saw when shopping for a Camaro was at a dealer level. Ford dealers load the lots with Mustangs, 300A and 301A GT Mustangs, plenty of Performance Pack cars. So a 301A GT with PP1 is on par with a base 1SS, in terms of options and price. Not so many 401A or high options cars, equivalent to the 2SS trim. Now I would go look at a Chevrolet dealer, not a lot of Camaros to choose from, very few manuals, and most the cars are loaded out 2SS cars. Ford dealers make buying a Mustang easier because they load the lots with more of them and the wider spectrum.
Agreed... but ours only stock auto v6 and some I4s. The main problem I see though is that most chevy dealerships are won't give you a good price. My local dealership would only drop 2k off msrp after haggling! That's the reason why I bought mine in Jasper Ga *shoutout to my guy Brock at Day's Chevy for the awesome deal username is bjones41* (~500 miles away) and was about to fly to Florida or Texas for one! I see mustangs all the time with "$10,00 off MSRP!!!" wrtten on it at the ford dealerships here though....
Old 12-28-2018, 09:23 AM   #48
DWR

Quote:
Originally Posted by arpad_m View Post
I get where you guys are going with the Bentley and the Buick Avista concept, but in my novice opinion a car like those or an Aston Martin or a BMW etc. would no longer be a Camaro. A very nice car, but not a Camaro.

The distinctive, aggressive look of the Camaro is a heritage to be cherished and not morphed into a generic, me-too, this-is-supposed-to-sell-well-'cause-everyone-else-is-doing-it lookalike that (unfortunately) already appears to be the design direction.
I disagree with this part of your post.... the simple reason why is that other than ques from the 1st gen on the 5th and 5th to 6th (obviously) the camaro has always radically changed it's appearance. Just look at the 1st compared the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th.... nothing alike really.

I see it as they need to (not that I necessarily want it) go the Bently-ish route to sell to the masses OR make a almost replica of the 1st gen but with updated suspension, safety, drivetrane, and interior. Changing the look only just enough so people know it isn't a 1st gen. I know quite a few people who would shove the money in GM's face for that! Myself included!
Old 12-28-2018, 11:25 AM   #49
internationlriders

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by smokinzx14r View Post
I love the look of the 6gen , I get great MPG in my 1SS , I can see just fine out of my Camaro , I love my A8 trans and lastly I got it cheap in the end of the year close out sales ..
I'm with you, and it feels good to be in the minority

I personally love the batman feel of being in this car and a buddy with a Lambo is always comparing his car to my Camaro and saying how much the Camaro cockpit reminds him of his car. The difference is I can fit in the Camaro but not the Lambo

The only thing I would change on my Camaro would be the motor for a 500+ Hp Na Ls motor.

To the OP your rendering looks like a Camaro and a Mustang had intercourse

Nice work though nonetheless.

"The Lord is my shepherd; I shall not want."
internationlriders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2018, 11:27 AM   #50
Sesiom Summers

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWR View Post
I disagree with this part of your post.... the simple reason why is that other than ques from the 1st gen on the 5th and 5th to 6th (obviously) the camaro has always radically changed it's appearance. Just look at the 1st compared the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th.... nothing alike really.

I see it as they need to (not that I necessarily want it) go the Bently-ish route to sell to the masses OR make a almost replica of the 1st gen but with updated suspension, safety, drivetrane, and interior. Changing the look only just enough so people know it isn't a 1st gen. I know quite a few people who would shove the money in GM's face for that! Myself included!
With all due respect... The first gen fbody is a dead trap, for today's standar It wouldn't even get 1 star on chassis strength, the gen1 chassis would have to be completely redesign even if GM wanted the 7th gen to look identical to a gen 1...also gen 1 is fiscally way smaller than current camaro is, my Idea for this concept was to return the camaro to its Pony Car origins (Small 2+2 car with a V8)
Old 12-28-2018, 11:29 AM   #51
internationlriders

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by s346k View Post
i imagine, per usual, gm will find a way to make it fail. imho the camaros are so far from home it’s not funny. the v8 cars are WAY over priced and offer very little over the ability to transport us around. i wouldn’t be surprised to never see a 7th gen car. gm is great at building performance cars and economic cars, alike. they are terrible at finding middle ground.
I think the middle ground you refer to good sir is a performance SUV. That's the way of the future no?

"The Lord is my shepherd; I shall not want."
internationlriders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2018, 11:52 AM   #52
MackSteelPrivateEye
Banned

Drives: 6 on the Flo' Super Sport
LOL...Gas consumption to high. 455HP and 455lb tq. and still getting 26+ MPG Highway miles. They were not serious in getting this car to begin with.
MackSteelPrivateEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2018, 12:00 PM   #53
MackSteelPrivateEye
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by FH212 View Post
My take honestly is the market for the Camaro, Mustang & Challenger is shrinking every year, along with the overall car / family sedan. Hence the reason GM, Ford and Dodge are reducing the cars that they produce. Cars are not the new "cool" family vehicle. Heck I myself am guilty of that. I have owned a Chevy 4x4 truck, 2011, 2014 & 2017 as my "family" everyday vehicle and other trucks prior to that also. I finally only have my 13 yr old daughter in the house so I could justify having my Camaro as my "toy" car now. I am 45. I have wanted to buy a Camaro since they came back in 2010, but it wasnt practical for me and my family like a truck was and the truck still had the "cool dad" factor. Sometimes I still feel guilty having a car in the garage I pay on and we only drive on nice days or car shows and date night. The muscle / sports car market is more than likely going to become a "niche" market in the near future. I am pretty sure the big 3 know that and are gearing up for it. So IMO thats why they dont seem to be stressing about the sales of the Camaro like some people feel they should be.

Its just a different breed being born now, they enjoy texting and seem to just not be into good American iron like previous generations. Many seem to turn there noises up on anything saying made in USA. Sad actually.
Old 12-28-2018, 12:05 PM   #54
MackSteelPrivateEye
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sesiom Summers View Post
With all due respect... The first gen fbody is a dead trap, for today's standar It wouldn't even get 1 star on chassis strength, the gen1 chassis would have to be completely redesign even if GM wanted the 7th gen to look identical to a gen 1...also gen 1 is fiscally way smaller than current camaro is, my Idea for this concept was to return the camaro to its Pony Car origins (Small 2+2 car with a V8)
A 1920 Tin Lizzy was a death trap too. Never stopped people from driving them. All cars were death traps until safety mandates became law. Motorcycles are death traps and always will be. Life itself is a death trap, you can live it or sit back and worry about dying.
Old 12-28-2018, 12:25 PM   #55
Sesiom Summers

Quote:
Originally Posted by MackSteelPrivateEye View Post
LOL...Gas consumption to high. 455HP and 455lb tq. and still getting 26+ MPG Highway miles. They were not serious in getting this car to begin with.

God.... and you think 26 MPG is good? an AMG C63 is doing the same with 503hp and 516 lb-ft besides city mpg is REALLY BAD and thats why the camaro SS is getting gas gluzzer import taxes overseas, ruining car sales overseas...

besides!!!

this concept is NOT about an SS BUT a base V8 trim designed to be a fun DD as fuel efficiency as possible, GM is failing trying to do a performance car out of every single variant out there... base cars should be aimed for something diferent.... funny how hard core guys do jokes like this "ohh this car is perfect, people who complain about bisibility are Pu**s, the car is light, y get AWESOME MPG!" then complain why GM didnt come up with any Idea to fix the Camaro sales that going to end up killing the car by mid/end 2020s if not sooner
Old 12-28-2018, 12:30 PM   #56
DWR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sesiom Summers View Post
I think you missed my point/ where I said to revamp or put modern safety, drivetrain, and interior in it... I know some things would have to change because of regulations but make it dang close. OR.... make it look closer such as the challenger compared to its older brother. That thing has been out for ages and it still sells like hot cakes!