Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum

Old 07-31-2011, 08:17 PM   #1
Rogue Leader
Iatefiberglassinsulation

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS M6
Onstar/Bluetooth wont shut off???

The strangest problem has happened to me, my Onstar box literally will not shut off when I turn off the car.

Long Story short I called onstar for directions on saturday. After speaking to the operator and waiting I kept hearing the download "beep" but never got directions. I tried "resetting" the car by shutting it off and opening the doors but the radio would not shut off (display was on but no sound). Called Onstar back, they tried to send again. Took about 10 minutes but the directions finally showed up and all seemed to be working well.

Then today, i get in the car and realize the green light is on n the rearview mirror (car is not started yet). I am cleaning my windshield and my girlfriend calls and the in car speakerphone picks it up!!! Keys in my pocket havent touched the ignition yet. Sure enough no matter how many times I shut the car off or turn it on, the Bluetooth and OnStar are still on!

Pulled the 7.5 amp fuse, I know theres a battery backup so I'm hoping that only lasts a couple days maybe that will reset it. I just don't want it to kill my battery or something.

Anyone else ever see this issue????
2008 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD LT 6.0 - Tow Vehicle
1991 Alfa Romeo 164S - Project Car
1994 Volkswagen Golf - Race Car

"Like" my race team on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/farfrumwinnin
Rogue Leader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 11:40 PM   #2
McBain
The Normandy

Drives: Black 2LT-RS
This happened to me just last week. Took it to the dealer and they reset it but said they needed to replace a node. Taking it in Tuesday. You'll want them to replace it as they said it def would happen again at some point.
3400-4/28/10
3800-4/29/10
Vin: 2G1FG1EV6A9216192
4/30/10-Shipped by Railroad: rail number ETTX702404
5/11-Delivered to dealership
5/20-The Normandy Arrives!!!!
McBain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 08:03 AM   #3
Rogue Leader
Iatefiberglassinsulation

Quote:
Originally Posted by McBain View Post
This happened to me just last week. Took it to the dealer and they reset it but said they needed to replace a node. Taking it in Tuesday. You'll want them to replace it as they said it def would happen again at some point.
Oh well. Had to bring it in soon anyway since my pressure sensors crapped out a few months ago, didn't bother since it was such a minor thing.

Old 08-01-2011, 08:13 AM   #4
Civin

Drives: '10 RJT 2LT/RS, 02 Grand Am SE
I am having this exact same problem. I noticed the issues when traveling on Saturday. I just opened a case with Onstar due to the Camaro not properly receiving the requested route.

On Saturday, I was traveling to my 10 year re-union. I requested directions, then left the driveway. I noticed 5 minutes into the drive that the route still had not been received. During this time, the radio was silent and no buttons worked besides config. I wasn't able to power off the radio at this time either. I had to hit the left button then cancel the call to 'force' the route to be downloaded. When I left the planned route, I confirmed 'Update Route' and was met with the flashing green onstar light, the periodic beeps, and no response from the radio buttons (including power). I tried to hit the left button on the mirror, as I did before, and it cancelled the route completely. Hitting the blue Onstar button started the issue all over again.

Upon arriving at my destination, I noticed the Bluetooth on my phone did not disconnect when I turned off the ignition and opened my door. I thought this was odd, but wanted to celebrate with my old high school friends at this point. When walking back to the car at the end of the night, my Bluetooth connected to the car as soon as I was in range (odd because it has never connected before starting the car in the past). When I made it home, I noticed the Onstar lights were still on after turning off the car. Again, I pressed the Onstar button and requested assistance. I was instructed to contact Techinical Support at 8 am on Monday.

This morning, technical service told me to try requesting another route to see if the problem returned. They instructed me to do an ignition cycle (power the car off, remove the key from the ignition, then open the door.. the Onstar light should turn off at this point, then turn the car back on) if I encountered further issues then drive for 3 minutes. When the problem returned, I did as requested. However, the onstar light just flashed when I turned off the car and opened my door. At this point, I also noticed that the radio display would not turn off. I had to click the left button and then cancel the call, as I had done on Saturday, to return functionality to the radio.

When I hit the blue Onstar button to inform Tech Support about the issue, they ran a diagnostic on my car. The diagnostic returned with no issues. The tech recorded my cellphone information and told me that they were escalating the issue. At this point, I am waiting on further information from Onstar.

Rouge Leader, can you report back to this thread if the visit to the dealer fixed the issue?
Civin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 08:19 AM   #5
Rogue Leader
Iatefiberglassinsulation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Civin View Post

Rogue Leader, can you report back to this thread if the visit to the dealer fixed the issue?

Thats basically identical to how it happened for me minus the tech support call (and it happened saturday too LOL). I'm going to call them anyway today to have them try to diagnose it. My bigger concern is it killing my battery so I have pulled the fuse, so its running off its backup battery which I don't recall how long it lasts (3 days or 3 weeks???).

I'll probably make an appointment with my dealer today anyway since it usually takes a week or more to get an appt.

Old 08-01-2011, 08:34 AM   #6
Civin

Drives: '10 RJT 2LT/RS, 02 Grand Am SE
Rogue Leader, I apologize for the misspell. I am worried about the same thing, as I don't drive mine often. I have since turned off the bluetooth connection from my phone to the car. I'll also be checking the voltage via the 4-pack gauges every few days to ensure that it's not killing my battery. I can see a visit to the dealer in my near future if I don't hear anything from Onstar in the next couple of days. Hopefully, a resolution will come quickly as I've had no other complaints with my Camaro.
Civin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 08:41 AM   #7
Hawkeye David
Account Suspended

Drives: 2013 2SS
I am having the same problem, I contacted onstar for directions and it took a crap. I'm wondering if they updated the software or something and it's buggy, seems like this is happening to allot of people.
Hawkeye David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 10:12 AM   #8
Rogue Leader
Iatefiberglassinsulation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye David View Post
I am having the same problem, I contacted onstar for directions and it took a crap. I'm wondering if they updated the software or something and it's buggy, seems like this is happening to allot of people.
Did yours happen over this past weekend as well? Sounds like you could be on to something

Old 08-01-2011, 04:29 PM   #9
Hawkeye David
Account Suspended

Drives: 2013 2SS
It happened this morning. Just got back from the dealer and it's all working again. They said they had to reset the module and have onstar re-flash it. I contacted onstar and they wouldn't discuss it with me and offered only an apology that this happened.

I'm not real happy with the impact that an onstar failure has on the other vehicle sytems and in the end decided to turn off the service. A Tom Tom acting up won't kill the radio, bluetooth, and produce a non-stop annoying beep. If it does it only lasts until it hits the pavement at 80 miles an hour and I get some satisfaction from seeing it fly apart.
Hawkeye David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 05:45 PM   #10
JChen

Drives: 2010 SIM 1LT RS
I think I have a similar issue minus the OnStar...

Here's my issue:

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=162348
JChen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 08:25 PM   #11
thebighar

Drives: 2018 1LT RS V6 Nightfall Grey
My car didn't read my bluetooth phone yesterday for some reason..had to reconnect it today..hopefully we are not seeing the start of the zombie apocalypse.....
thebighar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 09:06 PM   #12
jonm38

Drives: 2016 Siliverado LT. Camaro SS
I had a problem with the traffic, it said there was no traffic, but when I was coming up I-85 in North GA, the south lanes of I-85 was a bad accident. It said there was none, when I got was getting done, it dropped my call to OnStar. I have times when I would say VR, then traffic after it gets through the NAV, and it would disconnect. I was on the road going through Atlanta and wanted some type of directions going that way. Don't know if there is a bigger problem with the system.

USN - 1990 - 1994

2010 Camaro 2SS Red Jewel
jonm38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 09:50 AM   #13
Rogue Leader
Iatefiberglassinsulation

Thanks to the damage to my car from the hail I won't be getting this fixed anytime soon.

Old 08-02-2011, 11:30 AM   #14
Chevrolet Customer Svc

Drives: GM Vehicles
I'm sorry to see how many people are having issue with this system. Have all of you been into a dealer to get your vehicles to checked out to make sure there isn't something going on with the vehicle? That way we can eliminate your vehicle from being the prime suspect in some cases. I hope this isn't anything serious and I will be looking into this issue on my own as well.

Jeff Morris, Chevrolet Customer Service
Chevrolet Customer Svc is offline   Reply With Quote