#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

Bigwormgraphix

Old 01-16-2018, 10:07 PM   #43
Ricco

Drives: 2018 ZL1 Vert A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Mamo View Post
I've actually been trying to figure out who you are to confirm I didnt send you a ported TB for an LT1 by mistake (which are ported less aggressively on purpose). I looked and I know I never got a PM from you.....can you hit me up via however you got hold of me previously so I can look in my system and confirm what I sent you?

That would be helpful

-Tony
No problem, I just replied to the email you originally sent me.
2005 STI
2001 2.5 RS

Previous cars in chronological order
2016 GT350, 2014 MEV Rocket, 2013 Nissan Qashqai + 2, 1.6L Diesel, 2010 Nissan Note 1.5L Diesel, 2012 Dodge Ram 2500 6.7L Cummins, 2009 Subaru Impreza STI, 2005 Dodge Ram 1500, 2004 Mini Cooper S, 1997 Subaru Impreza Catalunya special Edition, 1992 Daihatsu Charade GTti, 1978 Mk1 Ford Fiesta
Ricco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 06:20 AM   #44
S.T.A.R.

Drives: 18'-1LE
-I ordered the TB on Friday evening, it made it from coast to coast early Tuesday afternoon.
-"Very" easy install for those of you that may be hesitant to try installing it yourself.
-Unfortunately, I won't have any feedback to offer until April, post salt season.
S.T.A.R. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 03:30 PM   #45
Pito2ss

Drives: MY17 2SS NFG
Hi y’all!
Just wanted to come give Tony Mamo a shout-out!

Received the TB, installed in about 15min and took her for a drive.... WOW!! It’s night and day for me!
My car made me feel like I was 13 again learning to drive stick for the first time when I first got it. I was either bucking or flying off the line. Now modulation of gas/clutch feels simple. Second natural in a sense, not like I really have to concentrate to get the idea launch. Car doesn’t feel like it’s choking.
Thanks for a great product!!
Pito2ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 05:31 PM   #46
Tony @ Mamo Motorsports

Drives: 2009 CTS-V, 2008 C6Z06
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pito2ss View Post
Hi y’all!
Just wanted to come give Tony Mamo a shout-out!

Received the TB, installed in about 15min and took her for a drive.... WOW!! It’s night and day for me!
My car made me feel like I was 13 again learning to drive stick for the first time when I first got it. I was either bucking or flying off the line. Now modulation of gas/clutch feels simple. Second natural in a sense, not like I really have to concentrate to get the idea launch. Car doesn’t feel like it’s choking.
Thanks for a great product!!
And that makes perfect sense because with the really poorly shaped as cast TB, you either have enough throttle to idle the engine (say 5% throttle) and then you push on the pedal with nothing happening till almost 20% throttle (now your flying off the line as you put it).....its very difficult to properly modulate the throttle with the OEM TB....your always dealing with what I refer to as the "dead zone" right off idle that's completely eliminated with my ported TB design. Now you actually have 6% 8% 12% 15% etc etc.....its very linear in feel and more intuitive and that's why its so effortless to drive.

In stock trim (unported TB) you have to unlearn everything you have learned trying to cope with the deficiencies of the OEM design. Besides the added throttle response which is very significant from the upgrade (and all the extra power and torque from the mod) the best reason to own it is the much more progressive (linear) and intuitive feel you know have driving the car.

It really is a "game changer" (as one of my customers referred to it as) because it's truly solving/eliminating a problem inherent in the shape of the OEM TB. While it is certainly a "performance upgrade" offering your hungry blower another 150 CFM or air to process and convert into energy/power, this mod "fixes" what the OEM didnt care about when they gave the nod to a TB that was cheap and affordable and meant for non performance applications making HALF the power. This is why stepping into a really well designed ported TB makes what might just gave been a good upgrade great....it improves the output curve of the engine in so many different ways (both part throttle and full throttle).

Pito2SS....thanks for taking the time to post your impressions.....hoping my explanation makes it a little easier for you (and others) to understand why it is such a welcomed improvement to the car

-Tony
Tony @ Mamo Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 05:41 PM   #47
Blue17CamaroZL1
650HP soon to come

Drives: 2017 Chevy Camaro ZL1
Tony, quick question for you. My buddy does ported throttle bodies as well. He's been doing them for Colorados/Canyons/Hummer H3s/Trailblazers and stuff like that. One of the requirements with his PTB is that we have to disconnect the PCM-B fuse while keeping the battery connected. Do your PTBs require a similar process for install?

Blue17CamaroZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 05:51 PM   #48
Pito2ss

Drives: MY17 2SS NFG
Thanks for the explanation Tony! It’s clear to me, just wish I hadn’t waited so long on getting one!
Jeremiah 29:11
Pito2ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 05:54 PM   #49
Tony @ Mamo Motorsports

Drives: 2009 CTS-V, 2008 C6Z06
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue17CamaroZL1 View Post
Tony, quick question for you. My buddy does ported throttle bodies as well. He's been doing them for Colorados/Canyons/Hummer H3s/Trailblazers and stuff like that. One of the requirements with his PTB is that we have to disconnect the PCM-B fuse while keeping the battery connected. Do your PTBs require a similar process for install?
Nope....plug an play and I actually prefer you don't disconnect the battery

In the rare situations a customer throws a code after install (but the car runs good) that's one of the suggestions I make but 95% of my customers just install it and go....the MAF usually takes care of the additional fueling necessary from the added air the ported TB brings to the table

-Tony
Tony @ Mamo Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 06:38 PM   #50
waterman

Drives: Grandad's C2 L89
subscribed for reference.
Old 01-21-2018, 07:42 PM   #51
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Drives: ZLE & ZR2
This is one mod that just isn't worth it IMHO.

No real gains to be had and risk CEL just doesn't make sense to me.
Old 01-21-2018, 09:06 PM   #52
Sooner Cole

Drives: 2019 ZL1-1LE A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlee View Post

I respectfully disagree. The drivability difference and throttle response is night/day vs stock. If you are going to start doing engine mods, this is one of the first things your builder will change.
Old 01-21-2018, 09:09 PM   #53
396ssrat

Drives: 66 Chevelle SS
Quote:

Airflow improvements make perfect sense to me. I sure don't regret Tony porting my cylinder heads. 2 hp here, 2 hp there, 4 more over there all add up to make make more power. Driveability is pretty important to many of us.
The guy does quite a bit more than simply port throttle bodies.
396ssrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 09:26 PM   #54
waterman

Drives: Grandad's C2 L89
Quote:

I respectfully submit that I am no expert, I've had only some experience working on forced induction autos, mostly friends cars. Always been a NA guy I suppose. That however, is about to change.

I do however have an extensive background in high output, commercial grade ECM equipped, tier level (MARPOL and Fed emission compliant) forced induction marine diesels. Dang, that's a mouthful. It is my personal observation that any disruption of clean (non turbulent) air flow will inhibit power output, both HP and TQ. Of course, even a very slightly dinged turbo vane or blower impellor will severely reduce output. However, pre boost airflow disruption can steal HP/TQ as well. A damaged or deleted air straightener can rob an amazing amount of power (5-10+%) and efficiency. Obviously, I have also seen significant power increases from intake (post boost) porting. No TB's on MD's

Again, I am no expert. IMHO I believe that a greater volume of pre boost "cleaned up" air, via a ported TB is an inexpensive and easy way to increase HP and TQ. Some have claimed reduced bogging issues. I have not read in either the Camaro or Corvette forums of any members throwing codes after installation of Tony's TB. Plus there is no tune required. Warranty intact. He guarantees his work, I've got nothing to lose and likely some power to gain, as documented in members dyno posts.

Bonus; I don't have to pull and then lug heavy components to the machine shop.

Anyway, my $0.02. Sorry for the rant, no disrespect implied.
Old 01-21-2018, 10:29 PM   #55
hawk02
Coupe Newbie

Drives: 2017 ZL1, 2021 Corvette Convertible
Quote:

I'm in the same camp.

Even though this video is by a Ford tuner, it does bring up some points about the potential downsides to ported TBs with the stock tune.

Old 01-22-2018, 11:29 AM   #56
Boost or bust

Drives: 2018 ZL1 M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawk02 View Post
I'm in the same camp.

Even though this video is by a Ford tuner, it does bring up some points about the potential downsides to ported TBs with the stock tune.

The TM ported TB’s are mild, so computer does not have hard time adjusting.
Boost or bust is offline   Reply With Quote