Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

AWE Tuning

Old 08-11-2018, 10:38 AM   #1
JonDaddy82

Drives: 2018 ZL1 Coupe NFG M6
Could you port the TB, snout, and blower on a stock tune?

Just thinking of what you can get away with and have a stock appearing, stock sounding ZL1. Other mods would be limited to a Roto-Fab, Borla 60606 and an axle-back of some sort.
JonDaddy82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 11:32 AM   #2
kttxz06

Drives: '18 Zl1. '18 GT350.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonDaddy82 View Post
Just thinking of what you can get away with and have a stock appearing, stock sounding ZL1. Other mods would be limited to a Roto-Fab, Borla 60606 and an axle-back of some sort.

Just fyi. I did those mods and tuned and for the money spent, wasn't worth it IMO. If you are gonna stay relatively stock, keep your $ unless you just feel like porting everything. You are prob looking at around $2500 if I recall what I spent. I'd buy a set of headers and do a 2.30 upper, but I know you wanted to sound as close as stock so.
Old 08-11-2018, 11:52 AM   #3
VAZL1

Drives: 17 ZL1
Check this video out, should pretty much answer your question. Andy is a good guy.
Old 08-11-2018, 01:38 PM   #4
JonDaddy82

Those are some pretty legit gains. Either way it seems to be about $50-$100 per HP, possibly better while appearing stock. Naturally headers/pullies/tuning kicks the hell out of it in gains, but those are obvious warranty no-no's.
2018 ZL1 M6 <- Not Daily
Old 08-11-2018, 01:42 PM   #5
Markoz28

Drives: 18 ZL1 nightfall grey A10
I’m thinking for warranty and no tune Intake, TB, and Cat back is about it.
Markoz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 01:53 PM   #6
JonDaddy82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markoz28 View Post
Agreed. But from my experience with dealers, they have no idea about what they can't see. If it's not a branded, aftermarket, external part they don't know their ass from third base. We're lucky they know where the oil filters are located on these cars.
2018 ZL1 M6 <- Not Daily
Old 08-11-2018, 04:46 PM   #7
kttxz06

Drives: '18 Zl1. '18 GT350.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Markoz28 View Post

I think you'll be surprised how stout this engine is. For those that have followed my builds, you'd think the motor would of blown already. Look, you plan on taking it to Sorian. Remember this, he'll NEVER over tune your shit to where it's pushing it's limits. But, then again, I don't care about a warranty at all.

No matter your mods you do, it's all in the tuning anyways. You can have someone do a safe tune. You can have someone do an all in tune pushing your stuff to the limit.

Me? I tell Matt to get me every ounce out of it. I have a street tune and a race tune so. If I want to dial it up, just put the bellmouth on and run straight 116. If I want to just screw around with guys around the 1000 hp mark, I'll just run my street tune on pump gas. Either way, it's all in the tuning.

Just tell Matt your budget, he'll guide you on where you should go. All I know is porting my blower and snout yielded little gains or we weren't really able to tell since we cammed at the same time. Kong porting or in your case, LME since they are local to you. Just keep your shit stock. Run you some headers, do the 2.30 upper, crank the boost up a little bit. Tune from there. Add some meth or E85. Have fun with it, call it a day.
Old 08-21-2018, 10:59 AM   #8
JonDaddy82

I guess to recap, did we ever get a concrete answer on being able to have a Roto-Fab, a ported TB, snout, and blower on a stock tune?

To get even more frisky, could you do ported stock heads as well? Katech will port your heads for $499 assuming you take them off strip them and send them in. Marginally more if you just want to send them in whole and disassemble nothing.
2018 ZL1 M6 <- Not Daily
Old 08-21-2018, 11:02 AM   #9
Can'tHave2MuchHP

Drives: Fast
Quote:
I guess to recap, did we ever get a concrete answer on being able to have a Roto-Fab, a ported TB, snout, and blower on a stock tune?

To get even more frisky, could you do ported stock heads as well? Katech will port your heads for $499 assuming you take them off strip them and send them in. Marginally more if you just want to send them in whole and disassemble nothing.
Call Kong Performance, they will tell you. Complete Street Performance did a good video on running fully race ported blower/snout/103 NW TB/Roto-Fab a few weeks ago and it made some seriously impressive gains.

*EDIT* Whoops, the videos is linked above.
Can'tHave2MuchHP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 11:38 AM   #10
JonDaddy82

Yes, they installed the mods and dynoed it, but never actually drove the car to see if the driveability was affected. The car was tuned after each series...
2018 ZL1 M6 <- Not Daily
Old 08-21-2018, 11:58 AM   #11
1LE Red Dragon
Train Driver

Drives: 2018 Summit White ZL1 1LE
Quote:

I think pretty much the answer is yes. They did the ported blower and snout on the stock tune. And it made 597 whp, they tuned and got gains across the board, but peak was 606 whp. If you just add the Rotofab that is designed to run with stock tune, then you should be fine.

BTW, I like your thinking.

If you remove the blower and have it gone for 7 days, you might as well pull the heads off and send to Katech for the CNC work. Theoretically you can possibly run that with a stock tune. But with the Rotofab, that would be a nice combination that looks stock. As long as the blower doesnt fail or heads come apart you should have a warranty friendly and stealthy FASTER than stock ZL1.

Tuning optional
Lower pulley optional (if tuning)
103 TB optional (if tuning)

/ / Katech TB // RotoFab Dry // Borla 60606 // ATI Super Damper / /
1LE Red Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 01:13 PM   #12
JonDaddy82

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1LE Red Dragon View Post
I think pretty much the answer is yes. They did the ported blower and snout on the stock tune. And it made 597 whp, they tuned and got gains across the board, but peak was 606 whp. If you just add the Rotofab that is designed to run with stock tune, then you should be fine.

BTW, I like your thinking.

If you remove the blower and have it gone for 7 days, you might as well pull the heads off and send to Katech for the CNC work. Theoretically you can possibly run that with a stock tune. But with the Rotofab, that would be a nice combination that looks stock. As long as the blower doesnt fail or heads come apart you should have a warranty friendly and stealthy FASTER than stock ZL1.

Tuning optional
Lower pulley optional (if tuning)
103 TB optional (if tuning)
That's exactly what I'm thinking.

Think of this for a Stage 1:

Roto-Fab
Ported TB
Ported Snout
Ported Blower
Ported Heads
Cat-back/Axle-back exhaust

This could be a solid Stage 2:

ATI Balancer
ATI Pulley
ARH Long System
Tune

I attached some examples, of course available from a myriad of vendors, possibly on sale, etc etc.
Attached Images

2018 ZL1 M6 <- Not Daily
Old 08-22-2018, 08:13 AM   #13
Fraxum

Drives: a M6 LT1 ordered From Becky!!!
Send a message via AIM to Fraxum
Quote:

Exactly my build I am planning but for me a 3" Borla SType catback replacing the back cats for more heat extraction and better sound, No HP there.

And I will leave the heads as is.

But instead of a stock ported TB a Nick Williams or more likely a ported LT5 TB for a stock look.

And if I add 315 toyos on back on 19's (every day tires) I hope to have a chance touching 10s at the strip more often than an almost impossible hero run for me. Given my MPH at the strip I would say 11.2 would be the best I can do in good air.

I wonder though if those TBs would be too much for the stock tune. Not much HP in porting the stock TB.

Great thread OP!
Old 08-22-2018, 10:48 PM   #14
20181le

Drives: 2019 ZL1 1LE Coming Soon!
Quote:
Agreed. But from my experience with dealers, they have no idea about what they can't see. If it's not a branded, aftermarket, external part they don't know their ass from third base. We're lucky they know where the oil filters are located on these cars.
100% true. The tune is normally the thing that catches people. Hard to do a lot of mods without tuning
20181le is offline   Reply With Quote