Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V8

Old 02-08-2016, 07:32 PM   #1
camarosspower

Drives: 2010 camaro ss
Catch can on SLP tvs2300

Is it really necessary or is just a valve cover breather fine? 600+whp
camarosspower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 08:35 PM   #2
SoChrisB

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS/RS
It's not necessary.
SoChrisB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 05:23 AM   #3
camarosspower

So just a breather? I'm asking because small amounts of oil coming from I guess the rear main seal under wot.
Old 02-09-2016, 11:25 AM   #4
Elite Engineering

Drives: 2010 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by camarosspower View Post
So just a breather? I'm asking because small amounts of oil coming from I guess the rear main seal under wot.
It's never a good idea to "vent" with a breather.

#1. This allows crankcase pressure to always be present and this contributes to ring flutter and poor ring seal and increased blow-by. To vent, pressure must first build and there will always be some seeking to equalize with the atmosphere.

#2. Power is lost form the downward stroke of the piston fitting this pressure.

#3. When you open the PCV system to the atmosphere you are now illegal for street use in all 50 States.

#4. It is critical to retain, and if possible improve on all the functions (and only 1 is pollution control related) the PCV system performs to keep your engine alive and relatively wear free for the duration. When you break the system and defeat proper evacuation you are now allowing the damaging combustion by-products to remain in the crankcase accelerating engine wear.

The Elite E2 and E2-X systems with billet CSS (clean side separator) retain a closed emissions compliant system, always pull suction on the crankcase for a more stable ring seal as well as constant evacuation of the damaging compounds you do not want remaining in and accumulating on the crankcase.

Either of these systems when used with the check valves will always provide constant evacuation and flushing of the damaging compounds from the crankcase as soon as they enter and are still in a suspended state. Once these settle and mix into the oil, they are mainly there until and oil change.

Get the most for your engine by installing an Elite Engineering PCV air/oil separating system.

Have more questions? Just ask. There really needs to be more education on the PCV system, proper crankcase evacuation, and all the functions these perform to keep your engine alive.
Elite Engineering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 11:29 AM   #5
newagemuscle
Philippians 4:13

Drives: SLP Supercharged LS3
Quote:
Is it really necessary or is just a valve cover breather fine? 600+whp
Others may say differently, but here were my results at 1500 miles after installing the blower.

Old 02-09-2016, 11:50 AM   #6
sscamaro

Drives: 2010 2SS, 2017 Silverado LTZ
Here is a picture of my Elite catch can, which I painted to match the color of my car.

2010 2SS/RS Victory Red, MN6, 1-7/8 Kooks LT Headers, SLP Axle Back, Edelbrock E-Force S/C, ZL1 Fuel Pump, 72# Injectors, JRE fuel rail upgrade, Roto-Fab CAI, Elite Catch Can, Billet Hurst Shifter, DSS 1000HP axles, Spohn Trailing Arms, Toe Links, Lower Control Arms. Chrome American Racing Torq-Thrust wheels. 546/rwhp & 522/rwtq & 10.9# boost Tune by Jeremy Formato.
sscamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 01:10 PM   #7
camarosspower

So which can should I go with? Will this get rid of the oil leaking from the rear main seal?
Old 02-09-2016, 01:16 PM   #8
newagemuscle
Philippians 4:13

Drives: SLP Supercharged LS3
Quote:
So which can should I go with? Will this get rid of the oil leaking from the rear main seal?
Elite is second to none in quality, fit/finish, and results as you can see by my video. I'm sure there are others that are good too, but I have nothing but positives to say about the Elite. That would be my choice if I were to do it again. As for your issue... someone else will have to chime in on that. I never had an issue like that.
Old 02-09-2016, 01:49 PM   #9
Nighthawk89

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2Ss M6
Im running Elite as well!
However i did upgrade to the Braided lines and Black AN fittings. Makes it look really sharp. I will have to update photo's soon.
Attached Images

Nighthawk89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 02:49 PM   #10
camarosspower

Looks like elite is one of the best ones out there. I had a rx catch can complete package clean side and dirty side offered to me for 329 shipped. Is that a good price?
Old 02-09-2016, 03:34 PM   #11
HAMBO

Drives: Supercharged 2013 AGM 2SS/RS
Elite here as well w/ SLP TVS2300. After about a year there was probably ~1.5 ounces of gunk in the catch can. Glad I got it.
SLP TVS2300, Edge CAI, 3" Magnaflow catback, BC Racing BR series coilovers, HRE FF15's (20x10 square) with Michelin Pilot Sport 4S's, GM STB, BMR front and rear sway bars and toe links, Prothane subframe bushings and front control arm inserts, JDP rear upper control arm bushings, Elite Engineering catch can. Tuned by Cunningham Motorsports.
1967 Bolero Red 396 SS/RS Convertible
HAMBO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 07:53 PM   #12
Fanch1LE

Drives: 2015 1SS 1LE
Don't overpay for a catch can. I'm sure everyone will bash my $90 Billet Customs catch can BC-175, purchased from Phastek. But you know what, it catches oil and plenty of it! It's well built and looks great.
Attached Images

Fanch1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 07:52 AM   #13
camarosspower

So all you guys with catch cans only have the basic can or the dual vented can?
Old 02-10-2016, 11:31 AM   #14
MarioSS

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS (RS LS3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by newagemuscle View Post
Others may say differently, but here were my results at 1500 miles after installing the blower.

I would like to know which model is your setup and which mounting bracket are you using?

As I plan to install the new style SLP TVS2300 and would love to have the same setup as yours

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
MarioSS is offline   Reply With Quote