Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Regional Forums > USA - Florida

Old 09-09-2014, 09:20 AM   #1
goldcoastmat

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS convertable
Florida "noise abatement" law

Getting a new exhaust put on this weekend, wondering if anyone has had a ticket, or any other issues from Law Enforcement on this.

Florida State Statute 316.293
(5) NOISE ABATEMENT EQUIPMENT MODIFICATIONS.—
(a) No person shall modify the exhaust system of a motor vehicle or any other noise-abatement device of a motor vehicle operated or to be operated upon the highways of this state in such a manner that the noise emitted by the motor vehicle is above that emitted by the vehicle as originally manufactured.
(b) No person shall operate a motor vehicle upon the highways of the state with an exhaust system or noise-abatement device so modified.

I'm getting the exhaust put on anyway lol, just wondering what I'm getting myself into.
goldcoastmat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 11:17 AM   #2
mrvenicess

Drives: 2013 CRT ZL1 auto
Don't make it obnoxiously loud and try to drive with restraint around LEOs!
mrvenicess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 11:25 AM   #3
jc615
Account Suspended

Drives: Camaro and Sierra
Drove beside, in front of, behind etc and no issues. Have all Hilton's and cam and it's pretty loud at wot. Just don't be dumb about it
jc615 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 11:30 AM   #4
ytown87

Drives: C6 Corvette
I havent been pulled over for my exhaust or cutouts yet. I try and close them when I see police but my exhaust with them closed is still way louder than stock. One officer told me about that law when I was buying tools to put my exhaust on. I asked him how they could enforce that if its possible to buy it louder from the dealer with factory options or get one used with an exhaust on it. He didnt give me an answer and just told me I could get pulled over blah blah.

Im sure they enforce this even less than they do texting or talking on a cell phone while driving. Imagine all the lifted diesel trucks around that would be pulled over before us if so.
2008 C6 m6. Carbon creations front/rear carbon fiber wodebody fenders. Carbon fiber hood carbon fiber roof hoop carbon fiber zr1 extreme spoiler. NW 102mm tb. Ported intake manifold. Cometic .040 head gaskets. LG motorsports G6x3 cam. DSX flex fuel sensor. AEM methanol kit. Z06 brakes. Ebiach sway bars. ZR1 rep wheels and Nitto Invo tires. Monster stage 3 twin disc clutch. MGW short shifter. Corbeau race seats. Gforce race harnesses. SLP loudmouth 2 mufflers. Carbon fiber exhaust tips. RPM stage 4 transmission and Stage 3 rear diff. 3.73 gears. Vararam cai. Kooks 1 7/8 headers and x-pipe.
ytown87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 12:54 PM   #5
WildOne
the "crazy cat" lady

Drives: 2012 2SS/RS Blk Vrt
I have no mufflers on my 2012 and have not had a problem. I use "light throttle" if there are police near by. Of more concern to me is my blacked out tail lights which hasn't caused me an issue...yet...
WildOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 02:18 PM   #6
Tampa Tuning
Account Suspended

Drives: TAMPA TUNING FACEBOOK & INSTAGRAM
Maybe im getting old, but I seem to be able to tolerate a loud exhaust over a loud radio.
Tampa Tuning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 02:22 PM   #7
954camaro

Drives: Camaro SS/RS inferno red interior
Full exhaust system and i still have no tickets. I drive by them all the time and they sometimes even give me a thumbs up
Old 09-09-2014, 03:04 PM   #8
Modern07
Mid-Florida Camaro Club

Drives: 2019 ZL1 on Order
I think I must now have one of the loudest Camaro's in the country let alone the state (I'm sure others on here that have heard can verify that! ) - I've never had any issues.

But I'm also sensible around Law Enforcement
Old 09-09-2014, 03:05 PM   #9
LnLSS
Mid-Florida Camaro Club

Drives: 2015 Red Hot ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tampa Tuning View Post
Maybe im getting old, but I seem to be able to tolerate a loud exhaust over a loud radio.
LOL we have some members that the loud exhaust drowns out the loud radio.

edit: Oh and there he is now. Hi Modern
LnLSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 03:06 PM   #10
ytown87

Drives: C6 Corvette
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tampa Tuning View Post
+1

Thats not an old thing...Im only 27 and agree. Or maybe I'm just an old man inside

I have a 12 in the trunk and keep it turned down to a 1/4 output so I can even hear my own exhaust over the music. I imagine it would bother others less to hear the rumble over the booming of my music.
2008 C6 m6. Carbon creations front/rear carbon fiber wodebody fenders. Carbon fiber hood carbon fiber roof hoop carbon fiber zr1 extreme spoiler. NW 102mm tb. Ported intake manifold. Cometic .040 head gaskets. LG motorsports G6x3 cam. DSX flex fuel sensor. AEM methanol kit. Z06 brakes. Ebiach sway bars. ZR1 rep wheels and Nitto Invo tires. Monster stage 3 twin disc clutch. MGW short shifter. Corbeau race seats. Gforce race harnesses. SLP loudmouth 2 mufflers. Carbon fiber exhaust tips. RPM stage 4 transmission and Stage 3 rear diff. 3.73 gears. Vararam cai. Kooks 1 7/8 headers and x-pipe.
ytown87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 03:06 PM   #11
Modern07
Mid-Florida Camaro Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by LnLSS View Post
LOL we have some members that the loud exhaust drowns out the loud radio.
I wonder who you mean?!
Old 09-09-2014, 03:20 PM   #12
mrvenicess

Drives: 2013 CRT ZL1 auto
Phil, do you still have the Corsa exhaust with no cats? It was loud! I added two Solo resonators to my system and made it quite respectable. You can hear it on the 27th. You are coming to Modern Muscle Shootout?
mrvenicess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 03:47 PM   #13
Modern07
Mid-Florida Camaro Club

Florida "noise abatement" law

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrvenicess View Post
Phil, do you still have the Corsa exhaust with no cats? It was loud! I added two Solo resonators to my system and made it quite respectable. You can hear it on the 27th. You are coming to Modern Muscle Shootout?

Yeah I still have the Corsa with no Cats - it is crazy loud!!

Can you send me the details of the solo resonators please - I was looking at the Resonated X-pipe that magnaflow do too.

Won't be able to make modern muscle as I'm going to be away with work in California.

I'm having some issues with my car at the moment too - can't get it into reverse at all and having to force it into 1st - thinking bad slave cylinder or throw out bearing but will no more once I tear it down this weekend

Sorry for the thread jack by the way OP!!
Old 09-09-2014, 03:51 PM   #14
pickwithaustin

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS Convertible and:
I would guess that your largest issue would be caused if someone filed a complaint. I.E., a neighbor. That in mind, when pulling out of your garage/driveway, use restraint. Drive nice and easy down your block until you are a ways away. Once you're off and out in the open, you have far less chance of someone being able to get a complaint put onto you.

That said, other than cut outs, I'm not sure how anyone gets away with removing their exhaust (so to speak) in states where emissions are inspected.
2011 Camaro 2SS/RS Convertible | 1980 Corvette Stingray | 1981 Firebird | 1968 El Camino | 2007 Crown Vic Police Interceptor | 2001 Silverado | 2001 Blazer | 1965 Chevy C-10 | 2007 Harley Softail Custom | 2013 MX-5 in Copper Red Mica | 2000 Corvette Convertible | 2010 Corvette Grand Sport | 2006 Audi A3 Turbo | 2008 BMW 328i

pickwithaustin is offline   Reply With Quote