Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Phastek Performance

Old 10-14-2021, 12:19 PM   #43
L78toLT1

Drives: Hyper Blue 2016 2SS 6M
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idaho2018GTPremium View Post
You'd lose that bet. Fightin' Texas Aggie class of 2003 right here!

Well damn! That's a bet that I'm happy to lose! I would never have guessed that you're an Aggie based on your username, but I imagine you could say the same about me. I'm a Georgia boy, who ended up in A&M when my dad got transferred to Houston in the summer of '76. I went to Humble High for my Senior year ('77). I graduated from A&M with a BSME degree in '81. I returned to GA after graduation and have only been back to A&M a couple of times.
2016 Hyper Blue 2SS/6m/MRC/NPP/Silver Rally stripes/ZL1 wheels & brakes/GForce DS and axles/ZLE Cradle Bushings/FE4 ARB front & rear/SEMA Grill/Rotofab dry/95mm TB/Magnuson 2300/Full LT4 fuel system/JMS boost-a-pump/E85 Sensor/Ported CID heads from LME/Cammotion PD cam/Thompson Motorsports forged shortblock/catted Kooks 1 7/8 headers /JRE remote tuned
L78toLT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2021, 12:31 PM   #44
hotlap

Drives: 20 1LE 2SS M6 Rally Green
Quote:
Originally Posted by JKSully View Post
That's the new normal in this country. "Think for yourself" is the new byword and means you can disregard science and facts to make whatever you want (or whatever you read on the internet) be the "truth".
As old as America itself and previously celebrated by those now condemning it. I often think of the band Tool's intro in "Third Eye"
Quote:
"Think for yourself, question authority. Think for yourself, question authority. Throughout human history, as our species has faced the frightening, terrorizing fact that we do not know who we are, or where we are going in this ocean of chaos, it has been the authorities, the political, the religious, the educational authorities who attempted to comfort us by giving us order, rules, regulations, informing, forming in our minds their view of reality. To think for yourself, you must question authority and learn how to put yourself in a state of vulnerable, open-mindedness; chaotic, confused, vulnerability to inform yourself. Think for yourself, question authority. Think for yourself, question authority. Think for yourself, question authority. Think for yourself... Think for yourself... Order... Regulations... Rules... Think for yourself, question authority. Order... Regulations... Rules... Comfort us..."

"the trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.”
Ronald Reagan -
hotlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2021, 12:32 PM   #45
JamesNoBrakes

Drives: 2SS 1LE
Lots of people think they need to run 6" exhaust pipes, but the size of the exhaust necessary for the power is generally WAY smaller than people think. They put the quad exhaust on there because it looks cool. Not because you need it.

2018 2SS 1LE
2023 Colorado ZR2
2022 Stinger GT-line AWD
JamesNoBrakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2021, 01:56 AM   #46
UnknownJinX

Drives: 19 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS 1LE Shock
Quote:
Originally Posted by arpad_m View Post
You have a point, but this isn't a trivial problem when the morals supposed to safeguard the exploration and presentation of facts and science are decaying. One obviously can't and shouldn't reinvent every wheel, but then there's the thorny problem of trust.

To the topic, those dyno tests were done on one (stock) configuration, so they only speak to the fact that stock power levels are not yet where the restriction would take effect, if it ever does. The Engine Masters header bashing test was also very specific, because the section they bashed in ("crimped") was very short.

These two facts leave room for individual guesswork and experimentation, and IMO there's nothing wrong with that.
I get that the conclusion is that if you are on stock or mildly modified power level, you shouldn't be touching the exhaust pinches for power reasons. It could present a problem at high power levels.

But here is the thing: if you are heavily modifying the car, you will be redoing the whole exhaust anyway, and I am sure that almost all of the aftermarket options won't have the pinches. There is no need to be asking this question because I am sure no one is keeping their stock exhaust at 850 WHP.

So this question in itself really only applies to people with stock or mildly modified engines. The problem solves itself when you are ripping the exhaust out as you shoot for big powers.

GM Performance Intake and that's it, because driver mods before car mods

Past:
2009 Mazda RX-8 GT M6 Velocity Red Mica (Sold)
2015 Chevrolet Corvette Z51 2LT M7 Velocity Yellow Tintcoat (Flood totaled)
UnknownJinX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2021, 08:52 AM   #47
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnknownJinX View Post
I get that the conclusion is that if you are on stock or mildly modified power level, you shouldn't be touching the exhaust pinches for power reasons. It could present a problem at high power levels.
Agreed. At a rough guess, 10 feet of 2.75" OD exhaust tubing will support about 6500 rpm in a 6.2L NA engine per separate bank at about half a psi pressure drop. That roughly corresponds to a little over 1% power drop, which is really unimportant at this level and typical use.

Quote:
But here is the thing: if you are heavily modifying the car, you will be redoing the whole exhaust anyway, and I am sure that almost all of the aftermarket options won't have the pinches. There is no need to be asking this question because I am sure no one is keeping their stock exhaust at 850 WHP.
Absolutely. When you're doing that much work, you owe it to yourself to do it all up right and start caring about all of the little details that add up. 3.5" OD tubing here?

Norm