Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Specific Packages / Variants > 6th gen Camaro 1LE

Phastek Performance

Old 03-13-2018, 10:20 PM   #1
Ethel19

Drives: 2009 Mini Cooper Clubman S
1LE Interior Quality

I have a question. Ok, I know that those of us on this forum are going to be biased toward 1LE’s. I’ve been trying to decide between buying a new ZL1 and or a new 1LE. I’m 90% home on getting a 1LE.
OK, the question is regarding the quality of the interior of the 1LE. Almost all of the reviews and videos on the 1LE tout what a great car it is. BUT, what a lousy quality of the surfaces on the interior are. I mean the bagging is relentless. I not going to mention all the well know video commentators here in this thread but I think you know who I’m talking about. Matt Farrah, our friends on Motor Trend, and many others. No bagging on these guys in general. I enjoy their videos also. But come on! They all just talk about how hard the materials are, and scratchy, hard, and vile and, did I mention HARD! I’m sorry but give me a break! I have a 2009 Mini Cooper and that interior is a disaster! Decent runabout but the materials on the inside are......HARD!
Anyway.......I think the 1LE’s interior is really nice. Perfect no. But it’s not a Bentley! I think for a car that cost $42,000 or so the interior is awesome!
Anyone care to weight in on this issue? I for one could spend the entire day in this cars interior. Any other thoughts here?
Ethel19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 10:31 PM   #2
SD1

Drives: 17' GTI DSG SE
I have had some expensive junk, 7 series, E-classes, multiple Porsches, nothing exotic, but you get my point, the only think the expensive stuff did well is made my garage smell like expensive leather, which was cool, but I have been in both of these cars and the 1LE is fine, if you are that concerned, get a 2SS, like you say, for the price it is MORE than ok, if you want to talk shit, I bought a new C5 that was about as bad as it could get, but the car was great fun and in the end, never thought twice about it.
SD1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 10:34 PM   #3
silkrckt

Drives: 2017 Garnet Red 1LE
It has the best interior of any Camaro I have owned. My 94 had a horrible interior. My 2014 was better and the 2017 is the best so far. I'm most worried about the surfaces I touch. Steering wheel, seats, shifter, door handles, controls. These are pretty well covered. If I had a gripe, it would be the knee pads, or lack of. They are horrible plastic with sharp seams. The passenger side dash is bad too. But both can be replaced with suede versions. If you go with the 2ss version, I think these issues go away. 2SS 1LE wasn't available in 2017.
silkrckt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 10:59 PM   #4
biker2k

Drives: 2018 2ss 1le
2ss 1le
you wont be disappointed...

even the stereo is really really good..
biker2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 11:36 PM   #5
WhyUMad1LE

Drives: 17 SS 1LE
I think most of the interior complaints stem from the fact that it's a Camaro.

What's funny is that European publications, who are known for being picky, actually praise the 6th gen interior.
WhyUMad1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 12:13 AM   #6
TrackClub

Drives: 2020 SS 1LE (previous: 2017 SS 1LE)
I really like the interior. As per the post above the stuff you actually touch is very nice imo. Upgrading knee pads is very easy albeit i haven't done it and proly won't.
I find the overall design very appealing in a modern retro style (i know...an oxymoron this). And the seats are the best I've sat in - Porsches notwithstanding.
The reviewers may critique the hard surfaces but what they should be critiquing is that a GT350 interior is even worse not too mention assembly quality or lack of and that car costs tons more for less performance with much less tech included. But as also mentioned above we now have a 2ss choice if better finish matters to somebody. Personally I am glad there is a cheaper option in the 1ss and that's what I'd get again for sure.
TrackClub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 06:08 AM   #7
Boost Creep

Drives: '18 1SS 1LE
Shopping 1LE's and the only thing I noticed that seemed cheap on the interior were the knee pads on the console and doors. The rest seemed on par for the price range of the car.
Boost Creep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 06:17 AM   #8
motorhead

Drives: Love the one you're with
The interior is my main hang up with the car. It could have been nicer, but its hard to build from when you offer low tier models and have to keep it cheap enough to compete in the lower tier market. Unfortunately that bleeds into the higher tier models.
motorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 07:23 AM   #9
TrackClub

1LE is a performance pack designed specifically with track enthusiast in mind and for the price it has no equal on the market. Let's be thankful for not having to pay Shelby prices here... As far as design and even quality to me those are highly subjective. I've driven in my friend's new c350 Benz recently and didn't think much of that interior frankly.

But if somebody values touchy feely stuff and can spend more money then 2ss 1le seems a good option. Albeit if I were strictly after a DD car I'd never pay extra for the 1LE option as that would be a colossal waste of my money. I'd just get a regular 2ss buying creature comforts instead of track focused performance bits.

It seems that those that bought the car for what it was designed for don't even think about the interior. Even if they came from (Very expensive) pieces of automotive art like Pcars. But those that are looking at it as a DD moan and groan about "hard surfaces" and alike. Just sayin...
Old 03-14-2018, 08:01 AM   #10
GearheadSS

Drives: 23 LT1/22 Colorado TB/69 Chevelle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethel19 View Post
I have a question. Ok, I know that those of us on this forum are going to be biased toward 1LE’s. I’ve been trying to decide between buying a new ZL1 and or a new 1LE. I’m 90% home on getting a 1LE.
OK, the question is regarding the quality of the interior of the 1LE. Almost all of the reviews and videos on the 1LE tout what a great car it is. BUT, what a lousy quality of the surfaces on the interior are. I mean the bagging is relentless. I not going to mention all the well know video commentators here in this thread but I think you know who I’m talking about. Matt Farrah, our friends on Motor Trend, and many others. No bagging on these guys in general. I enjoy their videos also. But come on! They all just talk about how hard the materials are, and scratchy, hard, and vile and, did I mention HARD! I’m sorry but give me a break! I have a 2009 Mini Cooper and that interior is a disaster! Decent runabout but the materials on the inside are......HARD!
Anyway.......I think the 1LE’s interior is really nice. Perfect no. But it’s not a Bentley! I think for a car that cost $42,000 or so the interior is awesome!
Anyone care to weight in on this issue? I for one could spend the entire day in this cars interior. Any other thoughts here?
Here are my thoughts on interior complaints. Get over it! It's so much better than the 5th gen was. I'm not buying a 6th gen for interior quality. I'm buying it for the performance and the excellent chassis. It outclasses the competition in performance at every level so I don't care if the interior isn't world class nice. IMO, the reviewers just need something to bitch about.

I don't go around finger ****ing my interior so I really couldn't care less if it has some hard feeling plastic.
GearheadSS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 08:49 AM   #11
TrackClub

GearheadSS: words of wisdom and absolutely love your closing sentence!
Old 03-14-2018, 11:16 AM   #12
Pollock
LT4 M6

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
The button to roll the windows down is in a bit of an awkward place for me. But otherwise the car is nice!
Pollock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 12:36 PM   #13
S2K+1LE
Account Suspended

Drives: 17 SS 1LE | 07 S2K
The interior is nicer than the other 455HP/455TQ RWD offerings on the market.
S2K+1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 03:18 PM   #14
mjk3888
"M1SS1LE"

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE
2SS 1LE is the exact same interior except seat badges red stitching and belts.