Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance - Wash, Wax, Detailing, Exterior Repairs

Phastek Performance

Old 02-21-2018, 07:38 AM   #1
Hms31093

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS 1LE
Carnauba Wax Preferences by hand

I have been reading a lot in this forum about the new polishes/sealants over the past few days (carpro/blackfire), but i was looking for some input on everyone's favorite Carnauba waxes that can easily be applied by hand. I completely understand the benefit of these sealants, but i just prefer traditional waxes. Some input on towels and process would be helpful as well (wax then sealant?). I recently moved and left my detail stuff at home so it is time to buy a new arsenal. I have read a bunch of stuff on Collinite and Meguiars so far. Clearly, i am a bit of a novice so everything helps.

Additionally, i just got a new 2018 SS 1LE in nightfall gray, so if anyone has some experience with the gray or black that would be awesome. I am sure this has been a topic before, but thought it could be refreshed.

Thanks!!
Hms31093 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 07:49 AM   #2
Glen e
Retired from Car mfrs....

Drives: 2LT RS/HR-V
Any good microfiber will take off a carnuba and buff it. A simple sponge applicator will apply it. Remember gloss comes from the polish, not the carnuba so put a fine finishing polish like meguires 205 to apply the same way first.

Carnubas have a nice glow to them, and are used for shows for a great look. The reason they are not used much anymore for a daily driver is they wash off quickly, especially in any sunny climate that is higher than about 70°. Keeping it out of the sun and washing occaisionally will extend it.

A carnuba that gets good reviews from show guys:

https://www.autopia-carcare.com/pinn...l#.Wo15hcpOmfA
Glen e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 08:00 AM   #3
Krowser

Drives: ZL1 Mosaic Black
Carnauba is an organic substance made from palm trees mostly from Brazil. Because carnauba is extraordinarily hard in its raw form, it makes an excellent wax once it has been processed.

Once you have prepped the surface of your vehicle with a great polish, Carnauba offers depth of color unrivaled by any man made wax, sealant, or ceramic coating.

I recommend you use collinite #915 and then top it off with a wax polymer (meguiars ulitimate paste only for me!!)

If you want to see my results click this thread:

http://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=520718
Krowser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 08:03 AM   #4
Hms31093

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen e View Post
Any good microfiber will take off a carnuba and buff it. A simple sponge applicator will apply it. Remember gloss comes from the polish, not the carnuba so put a fine finishing polish like meguires 205 to apply the same way first.

Carnubas have a nice glow to them, and are used for shows for a great look. The reason they are not used much anymore for a daily driver is they wash off quickly, especially in any sunny climate that is higher than about 70°. Keeping it out of the sun and washing occaisionally will extend it.

A carnuba that gets good reviews from show guys:

https://www.autopia-carcare.com/pinn...l#.Wo15hcpOmfA
Thanks Glen! So apply the Meguiars polish first over the clearcoat, then apply some sort of Carnauba? I have read a lot about the Carpro stuff you have been posting. How does that stuff come out compared to a carnauba wax? Same soft feeling on the paint?
Old 02-21-2018, 08:14 AM   #5
Glen e

Yup, The key to the sealants are durability, it just lasts a lot longer as carnuba washes off. The soft feel comes from smoothing the surface with polish, btw. It doesn't have much life. So if you like the labor of love of waxing, and some people do, then use the wax, but if you want to maximum efficiency with his least amt work as possible then do a silica. You wouldn't have the majority of people moving to silica and sealants and the like, over waxes, if there were not a true benefit.

Post this question over at the autogeek forums, it's where detailers gather and you get a lot more good information than a car forum like here. Autogeek.net
Old 02-21-2018, 08:23 AM   #6
Hms31093

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krowser View Post
Carnauba is an organic substance made from palm trees mostly from Brazil. Because carnauba is extraordinarily hard in its raw form, it makes an excellent wax once it has been processed.

Once you have prepped the surface of your vehicle with a great polish, Carnauba offers depth of color unrivaled by any man made wax, sealant, or ceramic coating.

I recommend you use collinite #915 and then top it off with a wax polymer (meguiars ulitimate paste only for me!!)

If you want to see my results click this thread:

http://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=520718
Thanks! Are there any polishes you recommend? Also, do i need to wait to wax after polishing?
Old 02-21-2018, 08:25 AM   #7
Hms31093

Quote:
Yup, The key to the sealants are durability, it just lasts a lot longer as carnuba washes off. The soft feel comes from smoothing the surface with polish, btw. It doesn't have much life. So if you like the labor of love of waxing, and some people do, then use the wax, but if you want to maximum efficiency with his least amt work as possible then do a silica. You wouldn't have the majority of people moving to silica and sealants and the like, over waxes, if there were not a true benefit.

Post this question over at the autogeek forums, it's where detailers gather and you get a lot more good information than a car forum like here. Autogeek.net
Thanks Glen...Is Essence the polish that you would recommend or is there something before that?
Old 02-21-2018, 08:26 AM   #8
Glen e

Read my reply again. I mentioned Meguires 205 if you want to wax. Apply, buff off thoroughly, and apply your final top coat product of your choice.

If you choose a sealant, get the polish product made by that mfr..... in the carpro line, that's carpro essence gloss enhancer and then reload.
Old 02-21-2018, 08:32 AM   #9
Hms31093

Quote:
Read my reply again. I mentioned Meguires 205 if you want to wax. Apply, buff off thoroughly, and apply your final top coat product of your choice.

If you choose a sealant, get the polish product made by that mfr..... in the carpro line, that's carpro essence gloss enhancer and then reload.
Sounds great, thanks Glen. I am torn on if i should continue to wax or try the Carpro products. Been hearing nothing but great things about them. Again, thanks for the insight. Is one easier than the other to do by hand?
Old 02-21-2018, 08:36 AM   #10
Glen e

The sealant is much easier.... why?.....because there is no hard scrub/buff off, it is wipe on, wipe again and walk away. So for the time it takes you to apply a wax and then buff it off, and get it out of all the cracks and crevices, and around your badges, you can put on two coats of sealant which is clear and doesn't leave Haze or white powder anywhere.

Watch this:

https://youtu.be/PsAheg8Wtdk
Old 02-21-2018, 08:45 AM   #11
Hms31093

Quote:
The sealant is much easier.... why?.....because there is no hard scrub/buff off, it is wipe on, wipe again and walk away. So for the time it takes you to apply a wax and then buff it off, and get it out of all the cracks and crevices, and around your badges, you can put on two coats of sealant which is clear and doesn't leave Haze or white powder anywhere.

Watch this:

https://youtu.be/PsAheg8Wtdk
Are both the meguiars 205 polish and essence high gloss polish pretty similar in terms of easy to use by hand? I felt like that is what would take the most time, but again, i am a novice to this stuff. I used to just bring it somewhere to have it done with my old car.
Old 02-21-2018, 10:10 AM   #12
KirkH

Drives: 2016 2SS M6 Mosaic Blk Met-SOLD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hms31093 View Post
Are both the meguiars 205 polish and essence high gloss polish pretty similar in terms of easy to use by hand? I felt like that is what would take the most time, but again, i am a novice to this stuff. I used to just bring it somewhere to have it done with my old car.

I like Chemical Guys Pete's 53 carnauba wax, P21S Carnauba wax and Collinite Marque d'Elegance.

Polishing by hand is exhausting and can leave you with serious carpal tunnel issues. You can get a dual action polisher at Harbor Freight for less than $80. The backing plate is junk though so you need to get a Meguiar's backing plate and good quality pads (not HF pads.)

Save yourself some time and effort:

https://www.harborfreight.com/6-in-5...her-69924.html

https://www.autogeek.net/meguiars-w6...ing-plate.html

https://www.autogeek.net/hydrotech-l...ile-3pack.html
*get 1 orange, 1 white, 1 black pad

https://www.autogeek.net/meguiars-105-compound-8oz.html

https://www.autogeek.net/meguiars-205-polish-8oz.html
KirkH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 10:12 AM   #13
KirkH

Drives: 2016 2SS M6 Mosaic Blk Met-SOLD
Quote:
I have been reading a lot in this forum about the new polishes/sealants over the past few days (carpro/blackfire), but i was looking for some input on everyone's favorite Carnauba waxes that can easily be applied by hand. I completely understand the benefit of these sealants, but i just prefer traditional waxes. Some input on towels and process would be helpful as well (wax then sealant?). I recently moved and left my detail stuff at home so it is time to buy a new arsenal. I have read a bunch of stuff on Collinite and Meguiars so far. Clearly, i am a bit of a novice so everything helps.

Additionally, i just got a new 2018 SS 1LE in nightfall gray, so if anyone has some experience with the gray or black that would be awesome. I am sure this has been a topic before, but thought it could be refreshed.

Thanks!!
My opinion is that my nightfall grey metallic looks best when I use 3M Synthetic wax.

https://www.autogeek.net/3m-performance-finish.html

KirkH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 10:13 AM   #14
Burly

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Meguiars 205 or CarPro Essence are considered a "once a year" polish/cleaning of the paint. Immediately followed up with a sealant (CarPro Reload) or wax. Then every couple of months reapply your sealant or wax.

Of the sealants like CarPro Reload are easier to apply and last longer. I do get why some people want to wax every weekend but not me, I prefer to do only ever couple of months.
Burly is offline   Reply With Quote