Go Back   CAMARO6 > Specific Packages / Variants > 6th gen Camaro 1LE

Phastek Performance

Old 09-14-2017, 05:17 PM   #29
dotfiles
@SS_1LE

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by diirk View Post
I was considering one but prefer the extras of the 2SS. Unless you're regularly tracking your car, the 1LE pkg won't do anything for you on a daily basis IMO. My 2SS was still a blast on the track and did quite well and I still get to enjoy the ventilated seats on those hot/humid days and the HUD, heated steering wheel, etc. There's really nothing with the 1LE that I need, although I do like the upgraded brakes.
False lol

I have driven my 1LE and a 2SS with mag ride and upgraded tires back to back on a mountain road and the differences are very noticeable even without pushing the car all that close to the limit. Especially mag ride tuning, turn in, grip, brakes and eLSD engagement.

Also I daily mine and think the ride is plenty compliant over rough patches for a sports car
Old 09-15-2017, 07:22 AM   #30
diirk

Drives: 2016 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by dotfiles View Post
False lol

I have driven my 1LE and a 2SS with mag ride and upgraded tires back to back on a mountain road and the differences are very noticeable even without pushing the car all that close to the limit. Especially mag ride tuning, turn in, grip, brakes and eLSD engagement.

Also I daily mine and think the ride is plenty compliant over rough patches for a sports car
You actually validated my point. Unless you're driving through the canyons daily, or tracking the car, the differences wouldn't be that useful for the average driver IMO. Half the people driving a 1LE won't use it anywhere near its potential. The 1SS or 2SS would be a better choice.

But to each his/her own. I was sharing my opinion per the OP request.
1morproject
diirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 03:32 PM   #31
Gen6_1Le

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1Le
Quote:
Originally Posted by diirk View Post
You actually validated my point. Unless you're driving through the canyons daily, or tracking the car, the differences wouldn't be that useful for the average driver IMO. Half the people driving a 1LE won't use it anywhere near its potential. The 1SS or 2SS would be a better choice.

But to each his/her own. I was sharing my opinion per the OP request.
The OP is looking for a weekend car to replace his c6 corvette ,not a 455 hp daily driver to sit in traffic going to work . The 1le is a better performance car over the regular ss or 2ss which in most cases is what a vette guy may be more interested in driving . The 1le is a better drivers car then the ss flat out on track or road . Now if we were talking about a zl1 1le i may not feel that way .
Gen6_1Le is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 12:30 AM   #32
RedHotAtl
2017 Red Hot SS 1LE PDR

Drives: RedHot 2017 SS 1LE
1LE closed the deal

I had a rental SS from Avis after my car was stolen. I had been driving performance oriented european cars for some time because besides going fast 0 to 60 and 1/4 mile they could handle a bumpy curve and also stop when you hit the brakes. I was taking the rental SS to dealers while I was car shopping and I was looking at Audi S3's, Jag F type, Audi TTS, and so on. Every time I finished a test drive I got back in the SS and left thinking to myself that those cars had superior build quality mostly in the interior, and the handling was just sharper. But on the other hand I loved the SS grunt and torque in any gear and the sound is fantastic so I was undecided for some time thinking if I could only find a SS with handling up to par with the european cars I was looking at I would be happy.

1 test drive in a SS 1LE and I was signing the paperwork.....

Get the 1LE if you value great handling and good feedback from your cars, if you just want to go fast in a straight line and want decent handling in the twisties get a regular SS and you will probably be happy with that.
RedHotAtl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2017, 10:19 AM   #33
Boost Creep

Drives: '18 1SS 1LE
There's a 2SS local with NPP, MRC, and the Recaros, the color and SS rims I like, decisions.
I try to talk my self into the 2SS, but keep gravitating to the 1LE.

Prices are dropping, but I won't be ready to pull the trigger until January, just hope there's some deals left.

New, no frills 1LE for $36,800 right now.
Ugh.
Boost Creep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2017, 11:16 AM   #34
Chris V

Drives: 2017 1SS 1LE
The 1LE gets better abs and traction control calibration, which the aftermarket cannot reasonably replace.

Always buy the car with the highest spec tire and suspension package. Going aftermarket may replace the hard parts, but won’t update the software.
Chris V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2017, 11:49 AM   #35
Boost Creep

Drives: '18 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris V View Post
The 1LE gets better abs and traction control calibration, which the aftermarket cannot reasonably replace.

Always buy the car with the highest spec tire and suspension package. Going aftermarket may replace the hard parts, but won’t update the software.
This is why I keep gravitating back to the 1LE.
The no lift shift gets better calibration as well, from what was posted over in the "Ask Al" section.

The only thing I think I'd miss in the 2SS is the Bose stereo, which at my age I probably can't tell the difference anymore anyway.

I drive all year so I need tires that function when cold.
The tires on the 2SS are easily swapped to all season, that's the one big advantage. All seasons can be mounted on the 1LE wheels, but only in a compromised size.

Really just want one set of wheels/tires, but oh well.
Boost Creep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2017, 01:00 PM   #36
nancygrl
雪の玉

Drives: '22 Z71 RST Silverado
Why not just get a 2SS/1LE. Have seen several dealers inventory showing "in transit". Get all the goodies in a 2SS with the awesome handling of the 1LE.
nancygrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2017, 02:16 PM   #37
keon718nyc

Drives: Challenger SP Shaker/Arcadia Denali
Quote:
Originally Posted by nancygrl View Post
Why not just get a 2SS/1LE. Have seen several dealers inventory showing "in transit". Get all the goodies in a 2SS with the awesome handling of the 1LE.
+1 , I live in NYC and if i had a 1LE i would definitely feel way more road and potholes. I still would choose a 2SS like i did over a 1LE in my situation, I don't live any where near a track or Mexico type roads, plus the system in the 1SS is straight crap after renting a number of them and one thing i would hate to do is upgrade after getting a new vehicle. The handling and grip all that stuff to me is non existent in my neck of the woods (I live in Queens). Already golf balled one tire my Camaro and now have some Conti's all season tires running like a champ and smooth as it can get i feel. Side mirror indicators help a lot in my area also so there is definitely a few things to think over but a 18' 2SS 1LE maybe good way to go if that's what you are leaning towards...
keon718nyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2017, 02:45 PM   #38
Magsz

Drives: 17 1SS 1LE
Eeehhhhh...

If you have no plans on tracking the car then pretty much everything that this vehicle offers is mostly for dick measuring purposes.

Between a regular SS and an SS1LE, yes, the SS1LE is going to handle better when you start squirting about in the twisties but for pure enjoyment and fun, both cars are going to offer you the same engine, the same (similar) interior and arguably the same smiles per gallon.

The only real difference is that you're paying 7k (for a new 1LE package) for items that arguably are not going to give you any real measurable benefit.

Id say skip the 1LE and goosh an SS or even 2SS out accordingly.
Magsz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2017, 03:09 PM   #39
JamesNoBrakes

Drives: 2SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magsz View Post
Eeehhhhh...

If you have no plans on tracking the car then pretty much everything that this vehicle offers is mostly for dick measuring purposes.

Between a regular SS and an SS1LE, yes, the SS1LE is going to handle better when you start squirting about in the twisties but for pure enjoyment and fun, both cars are going to offer you the same engine, the same (similar) interior and arguably the same smiles per gallon.

The only real difference is that you're paying 7k (for a new 1LE package) for items that arguably are not going to give you any real measurable benefit.

Id say skip the 1LE and goosh an SS or even 2SS out accordingly.
That's what almost every dealer has always told me, and I end up being unhappy with the body roll and suspension performance pretty much every time. I also usually buy upgraded brakes on my cars, starting with my 1st dodge neon , never regretted that one (on all the cars I've owned).

The exact line from BMW was, "Oh, you only want that if you are going to track the car", right, I'm going to track this 4 door sedan with 240hp . In reference to the adaptive M-suspension and M-sport brakes. Not that you can't track such a vehicle, but the idea that you only want these performance enhancements if you are going to race? But if I want said car to handle well in the twisties, brake well, be able to haul on a roundabout/on-ramp, the upgraded suspension is usually nice to have IMO. So according to most dealers, if you don't want the car to feel like a boat with excessive chassis movement, you want to "track" the car. Upgraded the suspension on my last camaro and didn't regret that one at all either, felt it should have come with the stiffer sways from the factory. I figure, get the 1LE and there's little chance I'll be disappointed with the factory suspension and brakes. Plus, won't come with dumba$$ all-season run-flat tires. While I think all-seasons are fine for non-sports/performance cars, there's no reason they should be coming on performance cars, two sets of tire maximizes summer fun and gives far more safety in the winter. They do all-seasons to save some $$$ and for liability purposes, but then you get the car with basically a worthless set of tires that you either run-out or sell immediately, and switching to two sets lets you balance tread-life between two sets of tires while enjoying far more optimal traction vs. marginal traction and chewing through one set. Not that the tires are the biggest reason, but the overall suspension package is exactly what I want, the suspension of a ZL-1 on the chassis of a SS. ZL-1 would be nice, but that's way too much power for me to effectively use around here and the SS would fit me perfect (it did before).
JamesNoBrakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2017, 03:27 PM   #40
R.C. Collins

Drives: 2017 Camaro
If you can afford it buy the car you want, otherwise buy the car you need.
R.C. Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2017, 03:36 PM   #41
Magsz

Drives: 17 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesNoBrakes View Post
That's what almost every dealer has always told me, and I end up being unhappy with the body roll and suspension performance pretty much every time. I also usually buy upgraded brakes on my cars, starting with my 1st dodge neon , never regretted that one (on all the cars I've owned).

The exact line from BMW was, "Oh, you only want that if you are going to track the car", right, I'm going to track this 4 door sedan with 240hp . In reference to the adaptive M-suspension and M-sport brakes. Not that you can't track such a vehicle, but the idea that you only want these performance enhancements if you are going to race? But if I want said car to handle well in the twisties, brake well, be able to haul on a roundabout/on-ramp, the upgraded suspension is usually nice to have IMO. So according to most dealers, if you don't want the car to feel like a boat with excessive chassis movement, you want to "track" the car. Upgraded the suspension on my last camaro and didn't regret that one at all either, felt it should have come with the stiffer sways from the factory. I figure, get the 1LE and there's little chance I'll be disappointed with the factory suspension and brakes. Plus, won't come with dumba$$ all-season run-flat tires. While I think all-seasons are fine for non-sports/performance cars, there's no reason they should be coming on performance cars, two sets of tire maximizes summer fun and gives far more safety in the winter. They do all-seasons to save some $$$ and for liability purposes, but then you get the car with basically a worthless set of tires that you either run-out or sell immediately, and switching to two sets lets you balance tread-life between two sets of tires while enjoying far more optimal traction vs. marginal traction and chewing through one set. Not that the tires are the biggest reason, but the overall suspension package is exactly what I want, the suspension of a ZL-1 on the chassis of a SS. ZL-1 would be nice, but that's way too much power for me to effectively use around here and the SS would fit me perfect (it did before).
You may be a more discerning driver than most.

Some people dont want to modify their cars. Some people want to buy a car to a price point. Some people want to buy a car that looks a certain way and dont give a damn about what kind of lap times it can set.

Its up to the OP to decide what kind of buyer he is and decide accordingly.

Personally, I dont daily my 1LE and I wouldnt want to. Its not really a "comfortable" ride.

I bought mine as a fun toy that i will track a few times a year.
Magsz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2017, 03:44 PM   #42
L99BEN

Drives: 2023 BMW M4 Competition
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lugnutty View Post
I traded a C6 for my 1LE. I find the Camaro to be better in every way. However, I think if you aren't going to take the car to the track, the 1LE stuff isn't necessary. It's serious overkill for a street car. I think the 2SS with MR is a better weekend car. I do dozens of track days every year so my choice was easy. The 1LE is an amazing machine. Any 6th gen Camaro is an amazing machine!

Drive them both. If you don't need loud, harsh tires or 6-piston brakes, don't waste any money on them.
^^^
This!
The 1le is the best bang for your buck if you plan to regularly track your car no doubt.
I have the 2ss m6 with mr and is more than enough me in most situations. I’ll never take my car to the track.
I daily drive 60 miles a day in regular traffic with some crap roads comfortably.
I typically set my suspension and steering to touring and throttle to track.

Past:
2022 Tesla S Plaid
2020 Shelby GT500 sold
2019 Hellcat Redeye-traded for new GT500
2019 ZL1 A10 - sold (meh)
2019 Tesla M3P
2016 Hellcat Challenger - A8 sold but never forgotten
2016 Camaro 2SS M6
2014 Mustang GT A6
2012 Mustang GT M6 "brembo" 3.73/FBO
2012 Camaro SS L99 (Wife's)
- slow