Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance - Wash, Wax, Detailing, Exterior Repairs

Bigwormgraphix

Old 06-07-2017, 03:49 PM   #1
Glen e
Retired from Car mfrs....

Drives: 2LT RS/HR-V
Polymers vs Silica: a long term shootout....

Lots has been written here lately about silica products and polymer products. We dont really discuss wax anymore, because it doesn't last long. Good for car shows, not daily driving. So the real question is between the two: polymer and silica (Si02)

On the car forums you get a lot of opinions, a lot of "use what I use, I really like it" Which really doesn't answer the question of what is better for the avg car enthusiast. Detailers are a suspicious bunch, and they are fun to read because their objective is to get the get the best product in the quickest application. Not because their buddy told him "blah blah blah" So taking a cue from the detailing sites where they post, (where this is done a lot), I'm gonna do an A/B side by side long term test of the polymer in my process, and the new up-and-coming silica stuff. For those of you that follow my process, here is the update doc that I put in my files recently:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/4bwmmuu5d2...first.pdf?dl=0

So on the polymer side it's BLACKFIRE TOTAL POLISH AND SEAL as the polish, and BLACKFIRE CRYSTAL SEAL as the top coat. On the silica side, it's CARPRO ESSENCE as a polish, then CARPRO RELOAD as the topper.

The most definitive way to do this is use exactly the same procedures and apply them to an area of paint do you can divide down the middle. That's exactly what I did with my trunk as you can see in the pics.

No clay step needed. So after a thorough wash with IPA (alcohol), I used my Griots 5.5 cordless polisher with two med/soft black pads, one for the TPNS, one for ESSENCE. Two up/down/side to side passes, then wiped them off and wiped on The RELOAD and CRYSTAL SEAL.

Trunk

Depth of reflection to start

So now you can bookmark this thread and I'll come back and add pics bi-weekly this car is garage kept in Florida. We'll look at the two areas that make or break a product: gloss and durability. My other area of comparison is ease-of-use, and they both go on exactly the same way. So easy, because both topcoats just wipe on, no hard buffing. I did one coat of each topcoat.

Initial impressions? Same gloss, same ease of application, the Polymer at this point feels a little more slick.

Watch this space.

And by the way if you own polymers, don't for a minute think that you should throw them out and run out and get the silica products. We are talking about minute differences, discussed when this is a hobby. Both will still knock your socks off. Another way to put it: your significant other won't be able to tell a damn bit of difference between the two… LOL

Last edited by Glen e; 06-07-2017 at 05:08 PM.
Glen e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 04:06 PM   #2
SSport16

Drives: 2016 Garnet Red Camaro 2SS
Good deal Glen! Curious to see and hear your impressions over a period time. I polished with Essence and 2 coats of Reload on both of my vehicles recently, my SRX is my true daily driver/family vehicle which gets the most abuse and exposure to the elements. Both vehicles are garaged. We have gotten a bunch of rain this spring, and last week after being totally clean, my SRX got a real work out in the rain. I was amazed how clean the truck still looked, I am doing a Ech20 rinseless later on today, but should be real easy. I do notice a difference as opposed to how CS worked in rain and was clean but not like I get with Reload.

1100 Status - 7/24/15 (Ordered)
3800 Status - 10/13/15 (Built)
6000 Status - 12/22/15 (Delivered)
SSport16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 05:07 PM   #3
timmy8784
Drippin' Wet Auto Detail

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS

Something that everyone has been thinking of but no one has taken the time to do! Can't wait to see what happens in the long term.

I totally agree that either method will impress anyone, but great to see what the longer term differences will be.
timmy8784 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 05:37 PM   #4
Michigan1LTRS
Blessed ❤️

Drives: 2017 1LT RS I4
Old 06-07-2017, 08:52 PM   #5
wrankin
Camaros Of Northwest Ohio

Drives: 2016 Black 2SS
Curious as to how many miles you put on this car for the trial too. Also assuming the FL climate is hard on paint and finishes.

Bill R
2013 2SS / RS - AGM / Jet Black (sold)
1970 1/2 Z/28 Classic Copper / Tan (sold many years ago)
wrankin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 10:07 PM   #6
SSTony

Drives: SS Camaro
Send a message via AIM to SSTony
I just ordered the blackfire so we will see how that goes
Old 06-07-2017, 11:58 PM   #7
solobaric

Drives: 2002 Camaro SS
Old 06-08-2017, 12:16 PM   #8
Burly

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
So what "rinseless wash" are you going to use during the shootout? Are you planning to wash the trunk lid or leave it as during the shootout?
Burly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 12:19 PM   #9
Glen e

Probably just wipe it down with damp cloth. Nothing's really sticks to it.....I personally think all we will really see as a diff is the silica side lasting longer.
Old 06-08-2017, 12:37 PM   #10
jreagle56

Drives: 2022 2SS A10 NPP MRC Red Hot
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen e View Post
Probably just wipe it down with damp cloth. Nothing's really sticks to it.....I personally think all we will really see as a diff is the silica side lasting longer.
Does one product have a harder finish than the other, being less of a problem with swirls and scratches being introduced with a damp cloth wipe?
jreagle56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 12:39 PM   #11
Glen e

We will see....supposedly the silica side should be a harder finish.....

Never swirled anything with clean, wet, quality microfiber.
Old 06-08-2017, 02:28 PM   #12
flyinlow

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1
Is there a difference in how water disperses? This always seems to be a bragging point of the Silica finishes, haven't had my car in any rain or washed it since I put the Blackfire on it.
flyinlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 02:32 PM   #13
Glen e

Stay tuned....Will be out in rain tomorrow....
Old 06-08-2017, 03:16 PM   #14
Krowser

Drives: ZL1 Mosaic Black
I am a polymer guy myself!! The Collinite #914 carnauba is for the absolute best shine!!
Krowser is offline   Reply With Quote