Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

Bigwormgraphix

Old 09-26-2016, 12:15 PM   #43
Thor142

Drives: 2014 2LS (traded in) 2015 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by mojman2001 View Post
Really you guys are complaining about
an automatic lol, its a sport car, not a Miata get a manual ( a man's car).. Putting in a 10 speed automatic is retarded, just like having a 7th gear in the vetts. The camaro's now can out run a standard vet, because of the gears..
Careful. That non-manly guy in the Miata will hand you your manly ass on a race track.
Old 09-26-2016, 01:09 PM   #44
DenverTaco07

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE, 2017 Volt, 2013 Pilot
You can take my man card if you can catch me in my 10 speed auto.
Attached Images

Old 09-26-2016, 03:28 PM   #45
RockRacer

Drives: 2010 SS A6 Vortech, 3200 Stall 3.73
Do we know the gear ratios compared to the A8 in the SS? what about the rear ends in each?
RockRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 03:42 PM   #46
396ssrat

Drives: 66 Chevelle SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhyUMad1LE View Post
Why is it always old guys who like the auto? Srs

Not srs

Semi srs
I'm an old guy and in the case of the electronic automatic in my Silverado it is one confused ass 6 speed. When it is time to pass a slower moving vehicle the trans is dangerously retarded in the downshift mode. That does irritate me to the Nth degree. I'd be willing to bet the long delay in decision making by the trans/computer has created accidents. A manually operated downshift would remedy it.
That said, a manual transmission is so you will have the "illusion" of being in control whereas the A10 (and many other autos) will be car lengths ahead of you at the stripe.
396ssrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 03:50 PM   #47
SpeedIsLife

Drives: Current Camaro-less
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockRacer View Post
Do we know the gear ratios compared to the A8 in the SS? what about the rear ends in each?
I do believe the ratios were posted by Mr Wyndham..hoping he'll post them again since I lost it.

Not sure about the final drive ratio, but I imagine it'll be tall, like 2.62 tall.
SpeedIsLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 04:03 PM   #48
SuperSound

Drives: '17 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockRacer View Post

It's missing the final ratios, but think Speed is right.

"Voices in your head are not considered insider information."

3800 Status - 6/16/16 (Built!)
6000 status - 6/29/16 (Delivered!)
SuperSound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 06:13 PM   #49
Hypertrophy

Drives: truck
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhyUMad1LE View Post
Why is it always old guys who like the auto? Srs
Not srs
Semi srs
Well, I grew up driving stick (mopar 318 w/3 speed). I also started driving without power steering, or disc breaks. I had leaf springs for suspension...etc. Then as technology advanced, it was evident that power steering was "better", less manly for sure, but clearly better. The same can be said for disc breaks (not to mention sissy anti-lock nanny breaks). And yes suspension technology improved on cars as well. Literally every mechanical system on cars has made technological leaps and bounds since I began driving and it makes driving easier, safer, more comfortable, and more efficient.

So its silly to say that driving a state-of-the-art 10sp auto is somehow less "manly" than clinging to throwback technology that is both slower and less efficient.
Hypertrophy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 06:26 PM   #50
SpeedIsLife

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hypertrophy View Post
Well, I grew up driving stick (mopar 318 w/3 speed). I also started driving without power steering, or disc breaks. I had leaf springs for suspension...etc. Then as technology advanced, it was evident that power steering was "better", less manly for sure, but clearly better. The same can be said for disc breaks (not to mention sissy anti-lock nanny breaks). And yes suspension technology improved on cars as well. Literally every mechanical system on cars has made technological leaps and bounds since I began driving and it makes driving easier, safer, more comfortable, and more efficient.

So its silly to say that driving a state-of-the-art 10sp auto is somehow less "manly" than clinging to throwback technology that is both slower and less efficient.
These spoiled people...they've never laid in hard on power disc brakes without ABS and gone for a ride...

*first car was a 73 Camaro with a 350/350 power disks out front, hold on for dear life when you're panic stopping.
Old 09-26-2016, 06:33 PM   #51
mkorgan

Drives: 1970-1/2 Z-28, 2017 ZL1
I have read this thread with a bit of frustration as there is no wrong way to go here. it is completely personal preference and to say that someone is "less manly" for going A10 is about as silly as the debate happening tonight.

I would say this, I picked an M6 because I enjoy driving a traditional, manual vehicle. I have a good friend of mine that has a 911 GT3 that he let me drive during an HPD event @ Sebring raceway. What a wonderful car EXCEPT I really missed shifting. It has paddles and the PDK is incredibly fast, yes...faster than I could shift manually....but I missed the art of heel-toeing into corners and being truly involved in the performance of the vehicle as it went around the track.

Some would say, "Isn't the goal to go as fast as you can and if so why not go A10?" To that I say, no....my goal is to have a good time and go as fast as I can while having the best time I can have doing so. The 911 was almost too easy to drive. It took me out of the equation of the vehicles performance and while that might be great for some folks here, it doesn't work for me. I want to know that my time around the course depends on me more than just entry and exit point in corners and finding the next corner apex to steer toward. Again, this does not make those that want the car to handle the shifting wrong, it is just two different goals. If you want the best speed first and then a great experience to go along with it, go A10. If you want a great experience first and a great speed to go along with it, go M6. There is no wrong choice here.
mkorgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 06:42 PM   #52
Artos

Drives: A10 LT4
So I guess all these manuals in F1 are winning??

I seriously almost bit on manual due to the delay, but decided that passing up this new A10 would end up having me with buyer's remorse...how anyone can belittle fellow enthusiasts over drivetrain choice is simply infantile.

I've been real impressed with the A8 in the Hemi & really think GM & Ford are going to hit this 10 out of the park...I find the direction we are going with this technology fascinating. Beyond excited about my first real sports car. The wait is worse than waiting for NFA / Class III items to clear!!

Yeah, I'm sure I would be filed into the older guy list if we are keeping track.
Artos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 11:46 AM   #53
SoCal Racer

Drives: C4,C6 Z06,Silverado,'17 Red Hot ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverTaco07 View Post
You can take my man card if you can catch me in my 10 speed auto.

Too funny
SoCal Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 09:54 PM   #54
GTRSOLO

Drives: 89 Turbo Trans Am
What's the stall spd in the a10 ? and is it been tried with any other stall spd?
Sorry if this has already been posted
GTRSOLO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 10:32 AM   #55
SpeedIsLife

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRSOLO View Post
What's the stall spd in the a10 ? and is it been tried with any other stall spd?
Sorry if this has already been posted
AFAIK the only private party people who have A10's are Ford folks with F150's and Raptors.
Old 01-03-2017, 10:51 AM   #56
speedyman
Account Suspended

Drives: ATS4
I've seen various shift time comparrisons with the almighty PDK. These are quoted in miliseconds. Anyone who believes that they can tell or "feel" the difference of a couple or a few miliseconds is delusional. This stuff is largely academic at this point and kinda comparable to the Dynamic Contrast Ratios of LCD/LED tvs of not so many years ago. They are now well beyond what any human eye can see and meaningless at this point.
speedyman is offline   Reply With Quote