Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance - Wash, Wax, Detailing, Exterior Repairs

Bigwormgraphix

Old 03-10-2018, 12:18 PM   #1
Fax

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS
Brake Dust

Suggestions on how to maintain and or eliminate the brake dust on the wheels?
Fax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 12:31 PM   #2
Glen e
Retired from Car mfrs....

Drives: 2LT RS/HR-V
Change the pads...(if you are not tracking), a great way to Clean & protect is in my signature, however 2 miles down the road again they'll be dirty. You need to move to a brake pad like a powerstop to get rid of it.

Last edited by Glen e; 03-10-2018 at 03:35 PM.
Glen e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 01:05 PM   #3
KirkH

Drives: 2016 2SS M6 Mosaic Blk Met-SOLD
Sealing the wheels with a sealant or coating can help minimize brake dust and tar sticking.

http://www.camaro6.com/forums/showth...t=wheel+detail
KirkH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 03:08 PM   #4
Wierd Harold

Drives: 2017 2lt rs
Took Glen's advice on both issues,less frustrated now.
Wierd Harold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 04:27 PM   #5
timmy8784
Drippin' Wet Auto Detail

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen e View Post
Change the pads...(if you are not tracking), a great way to Clean & protect is in my signature, however 2 miles down the road again they'll be dirty. You need to move to a brake pad like a powerstop to get rid of it.
100% agree. Brake dust was ridiculous with the stock pads. After switching out to the high performance pads, way way much less brake dust.

Follow that with a good layer of protection (CarPro Hydr02 or Gyeon WetCoat are the easiest) and you are good to go!
timmy8784 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 03:53 PM   #6
Bigdave18629

Drives: 2016 White 2SS Vert A8 Maggie S/C
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen e View Post
I sold my car and have both front and rear pads new in box, Power Stop Z26 1718 and 1474A. Will sell them for $120 shipped. Will toss in two G2 caliper paint kits (Red) along with some Brembo decals for $200 shipped (for all). PM me.
Bigdave18629 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 08:46 PM   #7
Grumpy1

Drives: 2018 ZL1 Hyper Blue A10
I only have 500 miles on the car and am already tired of the dust. I have the Power Stop pads on order but I'm still thinking about ceramic coating the wheels and this is where my question lies.
I haven't seen much feedback on this I guess because ceramic coating is still rather new.
My car is weekend whenever I want usage, won't see rain much and will probably never go to the track so the coating should last quite awhile. What about when its time to reapply the coating, how much of a pain will it be to re-prep the wheels.
I have a ZL1 so the wheel is complex with all the fingers.
Do you think it would be better to coat only the barrels and do a sealant on the fingers?
Grumpy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 08:52 PM   #8
Glen e
Retired from Car mfrs....

Drives: 2LT RS/HR-V
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy1 View Post
I only have 500 miles on the car and am already tired of the dust. I have the Power Stop pads on order but I'm still thinking about ceramic coating the wheels and this is where my question lies.
I haven't seen much feedback on this I guess because ceramic coating is still rather new.
My car is weekend whenever I want usage, won't see rain much and will probably never go to the track so the coating should last quite awhile. What about when its time to reapply the coating, how much of a pain will it be to re-prep the wheels.
I have a ZL1 so the wheel is complex with all the fingers.
Do you think it would be better to coat only the barrels and do a sealant on the fingers?
It is so easy to put coatings on wheels. Check YouTube for a specific vid but all you do is alcohol wipe down the wheel, and then put a few drops every so often and spread it around with a small piece of suade microfiber, wait 10 minutes and wipe it down with another microfiber towel. That's it ....I just did a set this weekend. coatings are not new. I was using opti coat coating on wheels in 2009.

There is an alternative that is much easier, and it is in my signature. Just click on the link. It works very well, needs to be repeated about every three months, works just as well as a coating which would last a year or two. It is a lite coating by the same people that make semi perm coatings, Carpro .Give it a read. It was written for the Corvette site two years ago, where I was a technical editor.

Honda polished alloy wheel
Alcohol wash
1 coat of carpro CquartzUK nano ceramic - fronts and barrels
1 coat of carpro Reload silica spray

Last edited by Glen e; 03-20-2018 at 09:05 PM.
Glen e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 09:11 PM   #9
Grumpy1

Drives: 2018 ZL1 Hyper Blue A10
I have seen some of the videos and agree it not difficult rather time consuming.
The coating will eventually wear like anything else. My concern was really about having to re-apply it and on re-prepping the wheel. I'm sure you would have to start with a clean surface again. Is that difficult?
I know I'm probably thinking too far ahead since I've read these can last anywhere from a year or more.
Grumpy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 09:18 PM   #10
KirkH

Drives: 2016 2SS M6 Mosaic Blk Met-SOLD
Quote:
I have seen some of the videos and agree it not difficult rather time consuming.
The coating will eventually wear like anything else. My concern was really about having to re-apply it and on re-prepping the wheel. I'm sure you would have to start with a clean surface again. Is that difficult?
I know I'm probably thinking too far ahead since I've read these can last anywhere from a year or more.
Here's my thread with full wheel cleaning and coating applied.

http://www.camaro6.com/forums/showth...l+wheel+detail
KirkH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 12:40 PM   #11
timmy8784
Drippin' Wet Auto Detail

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
I made a video about 6 months back of coating the wheels with Gyeon Rim at the same time I replaced the pads. Since I already had the wheels off, I did the backs as well but you can easily coat on the car as well.

At the end you can see some results after some time. Hope this helps!

timmy8784 is offline   Reply With Quote