Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum

Old 07-17-2017, 07:35 PM   #1
hustlerose

Drives: 2014 2LS
Need advice on aftermarket options

So my radio is kind of busted. Randomly turns on and off while driving and the sound goes out for a little bit and Chevy is quoting me $500 to replace the entire thing, on top of the $175 diagnosis -_-. I figured I would just go all out and get a whole new sound system since that is what I've been wanting to do since I first got my car. My last car had a bose sound system and it was awesome compared to these shitty stock speakers.

I just don't know where to start. I know I need a new radio unit. And then also front and rear speakers(what size fits the camaro? I've been seeing something about 6x9 and 6.5). I also am thinking of getting an amp and subwoofer if necessary. What would those of you who have upgraded recommend? Would I be able to save on installation costs and do this all myself?

I have a 2014 LS, non BA. Everything is base.
hustlerose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 08:01 PM   #2
PhelanZL1

Drives: 2013 ZL1
I would look at the pac audio setup, look at Tampabay Camaro for an awesome write up
PhelanZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 09:28 PM   #3
hustlerose

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhelanZL1 View Post
I would look at the pac audio setup, look at Tampabay Camaro for an awesome write up
Would that and I believe I saw two other setups that were not very nice be the only option? And any double din radio would fit?
Old 07-18-2017, 08:40 AM   #4
beak81champ
ILSQ

Drives: '13 2SS/RS
The android units are too big for the PAC kits, I believe. I think the standard is 6.95", which are most standard double dins. You may want to grab a drink and read the entire thread about the new PAC kits, as others reference the Metra and Scosche kits within that thread also. The rear deck holds a 6x9 stock, and doors are 6.5 stock. The sail panels hold most 3/4 to 1" tweeters. Do some research on here for what others have done regarding amps, components, harnesses, head units, kits, etc. before you buy anything. Sound deadening and proper install is the number one thing you can do for great sound, plus it's easy, and you can do it yourself. Figure out your goals first (SPL vs. SQ), stock install vs. custom, then post your questions on how to proceed. Your budget and your end goal will determine every step in between. There are some awesome, knowledgeable people on here that are always willing to help. You can also join Strictly Sound Quality FB page, DIYMA, and caraudiojunkies online for more in-depth help with everything. Good luck going down this rabbit hole!!!!
Old 07-18-2017, 06:03 PM   #5
PhelanZL1

Drives: 2013 ZL1
I put a Kenwood excelon in with the navigation, android auto ,lf you use apple, apple car play. The kit comes with everything you just need to find a radio to fit. It also retains the stock knobs for heating and air. Looks better then stock. Almost forgot the web site http://www.tampabaycamaros.com

Last edited by PhelanZL1; 07-18-2017 at 06:06 PM. Reason: forgot something
PhelanZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 09:36 PM   #6
TheFlyingBananaSS
Evil Genius of Chevrolet

Drives: 2017 Z06, 2019 XTS, 2013 SS
The my link in my car is starting to go flunky. Sometimes the fan control says off no matter what the fan speed is set at. And sometimes the radio works but has no information display. I think I might be looking at aftermarket options soon as well. I'm doing the high mount brake light very soon so I may as well change those speakers since I'm opening it up anyway.
GPI SS2 VVT cam, ECS Novi 1500 supercharger, Corsa Extreme, Detroit Speed and BMR suspension, Circle D triple disc, Melling oil pump, LS2 chain tensioner, ATI 10% UD, DSX E85 kit, High Energy coils, BTR springs, LS2 Lifter trays, Titanium retainers, hardened push rods, FIC 1000 injectors, ZL1 pump, Mighty Mouse catch can, AEM gauges, Tial BOV, Richmond 3.91 gears, Custom gauge bezels, Speed Engineering headers, Stainless Works HF cats, DSX Aux pump, 710rwhp on E85.
TheFlyingBananaSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 05:52 PM   #7
hustlerose

I decided to just order a replacement radio and not upgrade that and save some money for now. But what if I just want to replace front and back speakers and add an amp/sub? Can this be easily done?
Old 07-22-2017, 08:49 PM   #8
beak81champ
ILSQ

Yes you can. Check out gen5diyer, I think, for a harness to add amp/sub. Speakers should be simple. You should sound deaden doors while you have the door card off!
Old 07-22-2017, 10:34 PM   #9
hustlerose

Quote:
Originally Posted by beak81champ View Post
Yes you can. Check out gen5diyer, I think, for a harness to add amp/sub. Speakers should be simple. You should sound deaden doors while you have the door card off!
Will do. What exactly does sound deaden the doors mean?
Old 07-23-2017, 06:23 PM   #10
beak81champ
ILSQ

Eliminating resonance from your door skin flexing, back waves from speaker echoing and cancelling front waves, door card rattling, etc. It is the absolute best bang for the buck sound improvement you can make for your car.

Check out a youtube video on the subject by Richard Vedvick, and excellent youtube video by car audio fabrication. Mark is an excellent teacher and can explain things simply and concisely. On doityourselfmobileaudio.com (DIYMA), there's an all encompassing thread (sounddeadenershowdown). Hope this helps!

Tags
aftermarket, amp, radio, speakers, subwoofer